Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOS final stop in Philly

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:17 PM
BaggerBill103
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Totally agree!!!!! It's a Cancer awareness event so a very cool damn culture while at the same time a bunch of folks having some fun advancing sled audio. Cool concept indeed and hats off to the organizers, volunteers, sponsors, donors, & competitors!!!!!!

Regarding the "shix show" sleds with extreme fabrication, I don't pay much attention to ANY shix that is not a daily rider with bag & TP space available cause at some point it's like putting an audio system together on a dog house mounted on a piano dolly. Good sounding dog houses though but parking lot shix just ain't for me as I look forward to my next road trip, not my next parking lot.

I fully expect the rules to tighten for next year, just hope they keep the DB meters away, sound quality advancing, the culture grounded, and the focus of the event pure = curing Cancer!!!!!

T.
If the fabrication was intended for the eye in mind and they throw extreme audio in there, I am good with that. Todd, I agree and disagree with the meter statement. Here is why I say this. I am in total agreement with you that sound quality should be the main focus 100% agree, but it is too subjective by itself. I think that it should be weighted in scoring. 70% of your score coming from SQ, and 30% from the meter. The first reason is as stated, judges alone are too subjective, and second we are building open air systems so volume is also important.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:54 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Totally agree guys! The MMATS bike is a car. Matter of fact there's comp cars that don't sound as good as that thing. The audio comp should be limited to stretched bags and a tour pak. Basically the same rules as NASCAR. All those guys have basically the same specs. They win with the tune. These sound comps should win with the tune as wel!! Modify you car at NASCAR and you're disqualified. Hopefully the organizers will get it figured out!!

Old 08-21-2017, 07:06 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

The whole sos competition has been a great challenge for not only innovation but to bring the audio community together for a good cause. Lots of changes to come as this will be a ever growing competition and as with all types of these events they will learn, change and evolve for the better. That mmats bike is basically a attached trailer. He can detatch the while thing and be a standard bike fairly quickly from my understanding. You will see all sorts of styles and keep in mind many of these bikes are Urban Baggers that don't get ridden touring wise but you will be very surprised how many are ridden often and at great distance. Not all but some.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:55 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Guys don't focus your discussion on ONE bike out of hundreds that competed in SOS. Some of the heavyweight bikes are riden distances by these guys. I can also say that my lightweight bike can hit the road with no issues. Not much bag space, but I have an empty tourpack for that. Lots of awesome sounding bikes that get ridden (not to be confused with touring) at these shows.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

These big dawgs that run the SOS will without a doubt find a way to keep this event real for the cause and also advance industry leading sound quality based audio via beautiful sleds.

At the very end of the day, most of the players are shops that need to sell shix to 95% of the market that are daily riders so it's kind of a no brainer what the season two rules will look like regarding some of the parking lot ornaments that rolled into the tents on dollies.

Just please keep the meters at home!!!!! My ears are following only about 3-4 bikes / shops that have displayed the ultimate balance of sound quality in the sled audio environment and the db level was the result of such sound, not the driving force behind it.

T.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:51 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
These big dawgs that run the SOS will without a doubt find a way to keep this event real for the cause and also advance industry leading sound quality based audio via beautiful sleds.

At the very end of the day, most of the players are shops that need to sell shix to 95% of the market that are daily riders so it's kind of a no brainer what the season two rules will look like regarding some of the parking lot ornaments that rolled into the tents on dollies.

Just please keep the meters at home!!!!! My ears are following only about 3-4 bikes / shops that have displayed the ultimate balance of sound quality in the sled audio environment and the db level was the result of such sound, not the driving force behind it.

T.
i gotta side with the SQ guys on here...but my bike has to sound good to me... not really anyone else...the only compliment i get, and care to get, is " i cant believe how clear it is at that volume level"

just my $.02

Last edited by yooperhog; 08-22-2017 at 06:52 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-22-2017, 08:42 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned

Hey did any of the guys on the forum make it to one of the SOS shows this year? This years stops were at Myrtle, Michigan, Atlanta and Philly. I made the last two. Curious to receive some input from anyone that was there on how it was ran, the bikes in the categories that competed, judging, etc. Really looking for input from folks that experienced one of the shows.

If no one from here made it....they're working on locations for next year and I know that will take some time to get the venues locked in. Discussions have been Miami, NC, Philly, Ohio, Myrtle, Daytona, TX, Chicago. You guys should really try to make one next year. Whether they are daily riders, or parking lot queens these are the BEST audio bikes in the country and the "lightweight" class where many of the bikes of the forum would land is growing big time. I'd encourage you to not only attend but also compete!

The following users liked this post:
BUSAGLIDE (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 08:54 AM
BaggerBill103
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
Guys don't focus your discussion on ONE bike out of hundreds that competed in SOS. Some of the heavyweight bikes are riden distances by these guys. I can also say that my lightweight bike can hit the road with no issues. Not much bag space, but I have an empty tourpack for that. Lots of awesome sounding bikes that get ridden (not to be confused with touring) at these shows.

Totally understand Alex. Not making the statement from just that one softail. It's tour packs I've seen (POS monstrosities). Side covers that look like an octopus with all the horns. Now these bags and have seen others with outward facing speakers on the sides. My statements/opinions are just that, my opinion how I would like to see this audio competition progress. We all have different opinions of the event judging and requirements. Some want all meter, some want no meter, I and others want both. I really don't care how that progression happens, as it isn't that important to me. My statement was pure visual. If the bikes, tour pack, bags, side covers, and fairing are strictly modified for putting as many speakers as can fit, and no concern to the appearance of the bike, then I will not be interested in the event, or that particular bike, or that classification of the competition. I am a motorcycle fan FIRST, who loves audio to go with it.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

As someone who has just gotten started with my first upgrade and regularly tours with my bike, I can see having a lightweight category separate from the heavy hitters. I side with many here on SQ being a must. There is a point for me where it just gets too loud and going any further doesn't interest me.

However, I see the other side of that coin. Chasing that meter while maintaining the SQ drives innovation and we all benefit from the new products and mods that come out of that effort.

Rick

Last edited by MMXIWG; 08-22-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:34 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned

Bill, that's why I'd like guys who attended one of the shows to comment judging, bikes in attendance, etc. There's often misconceptions on the forum regarding riding bikes vs. competition bikes. There's a reason why there's classes at these events. Consider this, at this past weekends show there were about 70 bikes that competed. That's a boatload of bikes! Of that number I'd say there were THREE heavyweight bikes that looked like clown cars. The largest class was the average joe lightweight class. Most of the middleweight bikes looked like nice custom baggers. In the heavyweight class the ONLY bike that has won two HW shows this year, and to me was the best sounding bike all year long (I also thought he beat the MMats trike looking thing) was BYB's Roadking! A roadking that on the surface looks like a sweet *** bike, and I know that bike is rideable anywhere.

I know the competition scene isn't really the crowd here but folks consider what MMX posted. This benefits everyone. The TOP two middleweight bikes at this past show were all PRV bikes. The heavyweight winner was an MMats bike. BOTH brands that have been big hits on this forum that we were able to introduce to folks because of being a part of the competition circles.

Best sounding bike I heard all year:

Quick Reply: SOS final stop in Philly