Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMATS 601.4 Tuning ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 01:46 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default MMATS 601.4 Tuning ?

I just upgraded my audio to all pro audio and my equipment is:
Arc Moto 600.4 Amp
Sony MEX-M70BT
AD Designs CX62's (upper fairing)
MMATS 601.4's (lower fairings) No tweets/horns

I set the gains on the amp at the target voltage of 24.5vac with a 1000hz test tone disk and my multi meter. Radio set flat, Volume at 36
AD's on high pass, crossover set at 110hz
MMats on high pass, crossover set at 100hz

This set up is loud and does sound good! BUT my ? is it doesn't seem like Im getting this so called low end thump/bass out of my MMats as everyone seems to claim? I understand its only a 6.5" midrange and not a sub but is there possibly something in my tuning/settings that Im missing or any suggestions to make them sing?................TIA

Old 08-17-2017, 02:12 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

AD's should be crossed at 80. MMats crossed at 90-95.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:57 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SBates08
AD's should be crossed at 80. MMats crossed at 90-95.
Ahh I dont know man I beg the differ?....At first I had both pairs crossed at 80hz the problem I was getting is when I would turn the volume up anywhere between 24-28 I would get pops/snaps coming from the speakers on certain tunes. Now that I reset them both at 110/100 I can crank the volume levels even higher than 24-28 and I get NO pop/snaps!

Old 08-17-2017, 04:09 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by badazzpred
Ahh I dont know man I beg the differ?....At first I had both pairs crossed at 80hz the problem I was getting is when I would turn the volume up anywhere between 24-28 I would get pops/snaps coming from the speakers on certain tunes. Now that I reset them both at 110/100 I can crank the volume levels even higher than 24-28 and I get NO pop/snaps!
There comes a point that you'll have to decide whether you want extremely loud or do you want some thump. You can't always have both. With the speakers your using you'll have to find a happy medium. This is the very reason I don't rely on a meter to set my gains. I always set by ear but that's just the way that I like to do it. When your throwing X amount of power at said speaker you have to draw a line in the sand as to what you expect to get from it.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:14 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

That radio max volume is 50 correct? I did my gain settings by ear, but I get way up amount 45 before I get any sort of distortion at all. After setting gains, then you can adjust the EQ to suit your needs. I'd recommend the Sony remote App. It makes tuning a breeze, you can look at the EQ like the regular slide type switches. You will need to go thru the slopes and all the other audio settings, but you will need to bump the lows up a little to get any lows. Right now sounds like you are feeding it all flat. I know the cross overs in the amp are there but I really think if you play with the EQ and settings you will be happy with that set up. Do a search for settings on that head unit here, there is tons of good info about it, mainly from Gann.
EDIT: And what he said.....SBates that is
Kris

Old 08-17-2017, 04:43 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SBates08
There comes a point that you'll have to decide whether you want extremely loud or do you want some thump. You can't always have both. With the speakers your using you'll have to find a happy medium. This is the very reason I don't rely on a meter to set my gains. I always set by ear but that's just the way that I like to do it. When your throwing X amount of power at said speaker you have to draw a line in the sand as to what you expect to get from it.
Very well said!! Im trying to do my best tuning it correctly thanks to all the support of the GURU's and you all know who you are! I wish I could have a professional bike audio shop fine tune it all with the proper equipment to its max potential and efficiency and call it a day! Theres just so many variables in the tuning process and of course everyones taste is different. The main reason for the thread is I just wanna know if theres a proper/good way to get the most bass/thump if you will out of the MMats that everyone seems to talk about with my current set-up?

Old 08-17-2017, 06:52 PM
BaggerBill103
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

You have to remember the amp connected to the speaker also makes a difference. You will never get the bass from the MMats from the Arc moto as say the JL XD or HD. I am running those speakers in fairing as well as Arc moto 6x9 in lids off two RF T400xad amps. I thought I could get so much more out of some other amps and tried a moto and a Diamond Audio. I got a lot warmer/deeper mid bass out of the RF amps. But as stated, got more volume out of the moto. Just saying ever amp vs the same speaker provides different results and vice versa.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the 8ohm version parrelle to JL 600/6 100 was as low as I could go and get any decent volume in lowers application and never did like them to be honest.but most know my tuneing skills suck so take with grain of salt.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 PM
BaggerBill103
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
I had the 8ohm version parrelle to JL 600/6 100 was as low as I could go and get any decent volume in lowers application and never did like them to be honest.but most know my tuneing skills suck so take with grain of salt.
Interesting? I have mine on the TX at 90 and have no issue. It will be interesting to see what will happen when I get my horns off the amp and bridge the amp to 200watts each. Maybe I will find that I don't like them as much as I do now. I guess that is why we all make these changes. Chasing that unicorn. Let's be honest though. Most of us could live with what we have now, but enjoy the challenge of trying to make it better.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:06 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

You will find with the PA's that the more power you push to them, the higher you will have to cross them.

Quick Reply: MMATS 601.4 Tuning ?