Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMATS 601.4 Tuning ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 04:32 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by badazzpred
Yes yooperhog a very good possibility!
sounds great

Old 08-19-2017, 03:30 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

I would imagine you should be in the 100-110hz for your crossover point at 150 watts. I'm sending 110 watts to my set of Mmats 601s and have them crossed at 90hz, but i also have control of what my crossover slope is. I'm not sure what kind of control you have from your head unit for slope, but if you come to the meet and greet I'm sure the group of us will be able to figure something out.

Now the "bass" from the 601 is not gonna be boomy what so ever, but it will be punchy. Think of feeling the snare drum vs bass drum. Vocals will also sound a little warmer vs some other PA speakers out there.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:48 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by badazzpred
Yes 50.....I can retune by ear as well thats not a problem but my question with that is by doing that could I potentially be setting my gains higher than the target of 24.5 vac? and if so what kind of strain does that put on the speaks? I dont wanna risk blowing them? and when you say 45 before any distortion what exactly do you mean? and also what consists of your set-up? I do have the sony remote app on my S7 but I hardly play with it. When you say slopes and other audio settings are you referring to the radio? When I tune any amp all my radio settings are set to flat then after tuning I go in the radio and change a few settings and I have one custom EQ setting per "GAN" that I use. As for the slopes and hpf/lpf settings on the radio Ive been told to leave them off or at the lowest settings possible? The thing Im also confused about when tuning the amp is everyone says set your radio at 3/4 volume and in my case that would be 36-37 but Johnathan Bairrington told me on my set up he sets the volume at 42 as it will give you a farther range in volume control but he also said that the 3/4 rule is there if you dont know your exact distortion point as a safety measure? BTW I live in southeastern wisconsin but funny you ask because I own property in Warrens Ha! Neighbor.......
K I'll try to go thru these 1 by 1 but short answer is you should really come spend a little time with us in September. There will be an absolute expert in all of your components areas. Combined, there will be a wealth of knowledge there. But after you hear some of the stuff there you'll be amazed at what a bike can do. You've got great stuff and we will get the best we can for you.
Yes you can retune by ear, and you will not hurt anything at all as long as you don't hear any Distortion. When you hear Distortion back it down some.
Exactly between 45 and 47 is where that actual head unit starts to send some noise, or not good sound quality.
All the slopes and audio settings are in your radio only, nothing to do with the amplifier. Do a little research on here on your head unit and there is detailed information for each of those should be set. The Sony owners manual is also pretty good at describing each of these features.
The 3/4 rule is a simple safe Baseline. If you stay below that you will always be in the safety zone. I went above because it gives you a broader volume range and have learned my lesson the hard way with getting out of the safety zone. If you hear anything but good clean audio, you've gone too far and finding the sweet spot is the challenge, again hard to explain on a forum, but easy in front of the bike with the hood open.
Like Matt says, thump you will not get alot of.
I sure hope this helps and makes sense.
If you've spent any time in a tavern in Warrens or Millston in the last 3 decades, odds are good you will know me or my wife.
Kris

Last edited by BlackPearl#1; 08-19-2017 at 07:51 AM.