Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMATS 601.4 Tuning ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 10:24 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Bates has nailed it and not just for mmats tuning is EQ plus happy spot on gains for location and desired sound .still have not figured it out slow learner and half deaf no extra brain cells don't help.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:25 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Where is the OP located? We have some great helpful guys around here that are always willing to help. Heck he might be in my nieghborhood, no man's land!!

Old 08-18-2017, 08:16 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

i will be hooking up 4 mmat 601.8 parallel/bridged to 4 channels of a JL 600/6 and 2 PRV to JL 280/4 bridged... i will report back as to where the my ears like them. im not chasing as much bass as possible... im searching for clear and loud vocals and instumental
little brown truck should be here by 5 pm

Old 08-18-2017, 10:06 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
i will be hooking up 4 mmat 601.8 parallel/bridged to 4 channels of a JL 600/6 and 2 PRV to JL 280/4 bridged... i will report back as to where the my ears like them. im not chasing as much bass as possible... im searching for clear and loud vocals and instumental
little brown truck should be here by 5 pm
Anything else in the system to help with the lower end spectrum?

Old 08-18-2017, 10:19 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
Anything else in the system to help with the lower end spectrum?
i do have DD VO 6x9 in lids, cant remember what they are crossed at. im gonna write all this down when i tear it open again

Old 08-18-2017, 10:33 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
i do have DD VO 6x9 in lids, cant remember what they are crossed at. im gonna write all this down when i tear it open again
PRV's going in the fairing?

Old 08-18-2017, 10:35 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
PRV's going in the fairing?
lowers

edit/add. prv in lowers is NOT plug n play. lol

Last edited by yooperhog; 08-18-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-18-2017, 12:51 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
That radio max volume is 50 correct? I did my gain settings by ear, but I get way up amount 45 before I get any sort of distortion at all. After setting gains, then you can adjust the EQ to suit your needs. I'd recommend the Sony remote App. It makes tuning a breeze, you can look at the EQ like the regular slide type switches. You will need to go thru the slopes and all the other audio settings, but you will need to bump the lows up a little to get any lows. Right now sounds like you are feeding it all flat. I know the cross overs in the amp are there but I really think if you play with the EQ and settings you will be happy with that set up. Do a search for settings on that head unit here, there is tons of good info about it, mainly from Gann.
EDIT: And what he said.....SBates that is
Kris
Yes 50.....I can retune by ear as well thats not a problem but my question with that is by doing that could I potentially be setting my gains higher than the target of 24.5 vac? and if so what kind of strain does that put on the speaks? I dont wanna risk blowing them? and when you say 45 before any distortion what exactly do you mean? and also what consists of your set-up? I do have the sony remote app on my S7 but I hardly play with it. When you say slopes and other audio settings are you referring to the radio? When I tune any amp all my radio settings are set to flat then after tuning I go in the radio and change a few settings and I have one custom EQ setting per "GAN" that I use. As for the slopes and hpf/lpf settings on the radio Ive been told to leave them off or at the lowest settings possible? The thing Im also confused about when tuning the amp is everyone says set your radio at 3/4 volume and in my case that would be 36-37 but Johnathan Bairrington told me on my set up he sets the volume at 42 as it will give you a farther range in volume control but he also said that the 3/4 rule is there if you dont know your exact distortion point as a safety measure? BTW I live in southeastern wisconsin but funny you ask because I own property in Warrens Ha! Neighbor.......

Last edited by badazzpred; 08-18-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:47 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by badazzpred
Yes 50.....I can retune by ear as well thats not a problem but my question with that is by doing that could I potentially be setting my gains higher than the target of 24.5 vac? and if so what kind of strain does that put on the speaks? I dont wanna risk blowing them? and when you say 45 before any distortion what exactly do you mean? and also what consists of your set-up? I do have the sony remote app on my S7 but I hardly play with it. When you say slopes and other audio settings are you referring to the radio? When I tune any amp all my radio settings are set to flat then after tuning I go in the radio and change a few settings and I have one custom EQ setting per "GAN" that I use. As for the slopes and hpf/lpf settings on the radio Ive been told to leave them off or at the lowest settings possible? The thing Im also confused about when tuning the amp is everyone says set your radio at 3/4 volume and in my case that would be 36-37 but Johnathan Bairrington told me on my set up he sets the volume at 42 as it will give you a farther range in volume control but he also said that the 3/4 rule is there if you dont know your exact distortion point as a safety measure? BTW I live in southeastern wisconsin but funny you ask because I own property in Warrens Ha! Neighbor.......
southeast WI? will you be joining us at our meet n greet in Milwaukee?

Old 08-18-2017, 02:13 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes yooperhog a very good possibility!

Quick Reply: MMATS 601.4 Tuning ?