Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Speaker working intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 07:03 PM
sdecgreen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Left Speaker working intermittently

Once in a while left front fairing speaker is not working. 6.5 head unit, Arc Moto 602's, Biketronics BT 2180 amp and BT 355 line leveler. Haven't opened it up yet but what do you guys think is the culprit. When completing install I was extremely vigilant to make all good clean connections....

Old 08-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by sdecgreen
Once in a while left front fairing speaker is not working. 6.5 head unit, Arc Moto 602's, Biketronics BT 2180 amp and BT 355 line leveler. Haven't opened it up yet but what do you guys think is the culprit. When completing install I was extremely vigilant to make all good clean connections....
Start with your connections to that speaker. If it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't that would indicate a loose connection somewhere. Might not be the speaker. Could be your RCA connections or ground. These audio connections are always subject to come apart due to the nature of a Harley. Doesn't matter how vigilant we are. I've seen soldered connections fall apart inside the fairing. You just never know until you pull the fairing.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Chucks1911
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

This is odd. I have the same set up and the same issue. Im thinking about putting the BT Titan IIs back in replacing the Arc Moto 602s.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:02 PM
sdecgreen
Cruiser

I'll open it up soon and post my findings thanks Gan, odd 1911 having same issues....

Old 08-08-2017, 03:52 PM
a3dad
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was reading this thread which is very similar.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...o-problem.html

And I had a a left speaker crackling problem with my BT2180/BT335/BT7.1 setup yesterday. First time it happened, but I'm wondering if BT has a bad batch if LL's?

Old 08-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Chucks1911
Tourer

Originally Posted by a3dad
Was reading this thread which is very similar.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...o-problem.html

And I had a a left speaker crackling problem with my BT2180/BT335/BT7.1 setup yesterday. First time it happened, but I'm wondering if BT has a bad batch if LL's?

Oh man. Did not like reading that other thread. I actually had this happen before a month or two ago. Pulled the outer fairing to check connections. They all seemed okay. Turned it on and it worked okay. So I put it back together and it worked fine until the other day, where it did the same thing. I haven't turned it back on to see if it has somehow "reset" itself, but will this evening.

One common thing was it was hotter than hell on both days, 104 degrees.

Last edited by Chucks1911; 08-09-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Chucks1911
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chucks1911
Oh man. Did not like reading that other thread. I actually had this happen before a month or two ago. Pulled the outer fairing to check connections. They all seemed okay. Turned it on and it worked okay. So I put it back together and it worked fine until the other day, where it did the same thing. I haven't turned it back on to see if it has somehow "reset" itself, but will this evening.

One common thing was it was hotter than hell on both days, 104 degrees.
So I go out to the shop after work and turn the bike power on, and guess what? The stereo plays and works just like its supposed to. Both speakers working fine. Remember that I haven't done a thing to it after coming home the other day when the left speaker was out, other than let it sit a few days.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:44 PM
dafrisco
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

I also have the BT 2180 along with Titan II speakers. 2 weeks ago the left speaker quit. Pulled the fairing off and the RCA cable from the amp was loose for the left speaker. I wrapped both cables together then ran a double tie around the amp and between the cables to hold them in place. In addition from all the road vibration the amp had shifted forward, so then that took a heavy due electrical tie about 18" inches long to go around the HU and the amp to keep the amp from moving. So far everything still is in place and my 7.1 fairing and the 6.5 titans in the lowers sound great at 70 mph

Old 08-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

The last 2 BT355 I have used I have found the same problem.
Instead of sending the BT355 and waiting a week plus for a return product that did the same thing in a real world environment. I took it upon myself and opened up the the Lineleveler and found a bad solder joint on the RCA plug to the circuit board.
I repaired the connection and doubled checked the adjustments. As to this day there hasn't been any problems in the with speakers cutting out.

When using wire ties to hold the RCA plugs in a certain position to get a speaker/channel to keep from cutting out or sounding funky there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Just my .02
But before you do this minor surgery contact BT

Old 09-03-2018, 08:06 AM
sdecgreen
Cruiser

So this intermittent problem with this left speaker cutting on and off is still happening. Had the fairing off couple times now and all connections are goo replaced RCA cord also. Must be the BT355 line leveler???? Maybe I;ll open the line leveler up like Babyboy did....Any other suggestions out there?

Quick Reply: Left Speaker working intermittently