Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help-adding rear speakers with stock HU

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:15 AM
Raineman
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Help-adding rear speakers with stock HU

I am looking for some guidance/confirmation.

I have a '98 Electra Glide Classic with a stock head unit. I have replaced my front speakers with 6.5" Kenwoods (can't remember the models) with adapters. They are 2 ohm, I have been running them for a couple years now.

I have acquired some rear speaker pods, minus the controls, and I want to add them so I can give the Mrs. a little bit of sound back there.

Note: I do not have the money to go with a full blown audio upgrade at this time, so getting the rear speakers functional is my only concern for now.

After reading through the site here and trying to figure out a harness to get them hooked up, I came across the idea of just running new wires, in parallel with the front speakers.

If I get 2 ohm rear speakers I can run positive from my front speaker on the same side to positive on the rear and same for the negatives?

Is this correct?

Old 08-02-2017, 08:42 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Are you sure those Kenwoods are 2 ohms? I went through every speaker kenwood had many moons ago and I can't remember any that were two ohms? I must have missed those. Anyway, Are there speakers in the rear pods now? Do you have an amp? Full blown audio doesn't have to be expensive. You can get great sound on that bike for $200 bucks.

This amp:
Amazon Amazon

and these speakers in the rear:
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...xoCi1oQAvD_BwE

Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

My question is this, isn't this stock system 8ohm? If so I can't see how you haven't damaged the head unit running those speakers. And the answer is no, you can't just simply tie into the speakers like that with another set for the rear. I like Ganns suggestion. Easy upgrade without breaking the bank.

Last edited by SBates08; 08-02-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Raineman
Tourer

I will get speaker models for you and double check ohms.

No amp.

Does not have existing rear speakers (the Classics did not come with them).

"And the answer is no, you can just simply tie into the speakers like that with another set for the rear."

Should the bold word be "can" or "can't"?

If I can easily mount the pods and hook up rear speakers, that is my goal at this point. I am very budget limited for this.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:45 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Yes the word should've been can't. If I'm correct and your system is an 8ohm system the 4ohm speakers are doing damage to your head unit and I'm assuming you're still using the stock head unit. If you "tie" in another set of 4ohm speakers like you were suggesting, you then will have a 2ohm load which will do further damage.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:48 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Raineman
I will get speaker models for you and double check ohms.

No amp.

Does not have existing rear speakers (the Classics did not come with them).

"And the answer is no, you can just simply tie into the speakers like that with another set for the rear."

Should the bold word be "can" or "can't"?

If I can easily mount the pods and hook up rear speakers, that is my goal at this point. I am very budget limited for this.
Just as an observation for what you want to do. You would be much better off enhancing the front stage of your bike with limited resources than adding speakers to the rear. Here's the thing. Since you ride two up with the OL she's going to block the sound coming from the rear pods. Especially with no amp.

She would hear your tunes much better if you had an amp in the fairing with some decent speakers like the Infinity Kappa 62.11i's. Trust me bro. My bike is loud as hell. But when I ride with the OL she totally blocks the rear pod speakers and she can't hear em. All she hears are the lids and the fairing speakers. We've had that conversation many times!

Up to you as to which way you want to go but IMO your money would be better spent throwing an amp in the fairing. If you want to continue your quest for rear speakers we will help you get there but I'm telling you it's a dead horse.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Raineman
Tourer

Understood.

I will pull my fairing off one evening this week when I can get over to where I keep the bike and double-check the ohm situation. I thought when I got the speakers they matched my head unit, but its been a while so I'll look.

Will report back when I have more info for you guys.

I really appreciate the help.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Raineman
Understood.

I will pull my fairing off one evening this week when I can get over to where I keep the bike and double-check the ohm situation. I thought when I got the speakers they matched my head unit, but its been a while so I'll look.

Will report back when I have more info for you guys.

I really appreciate the help.
Anytime brother! We'll be here. If there's anything I can to help. Let me know!!

Old 08-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

Hey Gann, those pioneers are only 60w rms. Will those hold up with that amp, are they loud, and do they have a good sound and how would they do in lowers?

Old 08-02-2017, 04:44 PM
bladeguy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I still have my stock rear pod speakers. Would be willing to part with them very cheaply. Although I am sure you are better off with something else.

Quick Reply: Help-adding rear speakers with stock HU