Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PN1000.D Clipping at extremely low gain settings

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 04:44 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,258 Likes on 1,520 Posts
Default PN1000.D Clipping at extremely low gain settings

17 Limited
I bought a SS 1000d amp and the PRV 200s from a member here and installed it last week and used the stock speakers for a week. The amp definitely woke up the stock speakers for sure and I had zero problems.
I ordered a set of 62.11 Kappas for the fairing and while I was waiting I decided to mount the PRVs in the rear pods, zero issues.
The Kappas showed up and I installed them last night.
I went on a ride with some friends today and it was quite embarrassing. The amp was clipping and I had to turn down the volume so low to stop the clipping that I just shut the radio off. Then the wife starts bitching because she had no music, which made for a miserable trip.
I came home removed the fairing to see if something was a miss like loose wire etc. Everything was tight so I loaded a song that was clipping earlier (Tom Petty Don't do me like that) hardly a song that should pull more juice. I have to set the gain at around 9:00 to keep it from clipping, and this is all by ear so far.
​​ Why is this happening?
It was fine with stock speakers for a week. Could it be the new speakers need more power? Could it be I bought someone's junk? It's not like it was at a deep discount and nothing was mentioned.
By eye and ear where should the gain be with Kappas? I have read around 10:00 is a good start.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:05 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Do you have the BT Line leveler?

Old 07-29-2017, 05:11 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

When you say clipping you mean it was shutting off on you?

Gains are determined by the input voltage to the amp, there is no eyeballing it as input from one unit, LOC, line leveler, etc. is all different. Check your wiring, post pics of it. An amp can clip (turn off) for numerous reasons. Distortion, lack of power, wires or RCA's touching metal, faulty speaker, etc.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:16 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Do you have the BT Line leveler?
Yes I have one BT355 with splitter

Old 07-29-2017, 05:26 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
When you say clipping you mean it was shutting off on you?

Gains are determined by the input voltage to the amp, there is no eyeballing it as input from one unit, LOC, line leveler, etc. is all different. Check your wiring, post pics of it. An amp can clip (turn off) for numerous reasons. Distortion, lack of power, wires or RCA's touching metal, faulty speaker, etc.
Yes it will momentarily shut down for a second or so then come back on.
I understand gains are set with meters. I don't have test tones or a meter yet so I was doing it by ear for the time being.
All wires are new and all connections were checked. The only difference being new speakers added. I will post pics shortly

Old 07-29-2017, 05:43 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

That amp benches at 237 watts per channel at 2 ohms. With the volume at 3/4 and a 1000Hz test tone treble and bass flat. Your target voltage on the Kappa's should be around 21 Vac. The amp is rated at 140 watts per channel with 4 ohm speakers. Target voltage with the PRV's should be about 23-24.5 Vac. Those numbers will get you in the ball park. Sounds like the gains are not set properly IMO.

The following users liked this post:
Old Rust (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 07:23 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gannicus
That amp benches at 237 watts per channel at 2 ohms. With the volume at 3/4 and a 1000Hz test tone treble and bass flat. Your target voltage on the Kappa's should be around 21 Vac. The amp is rated at 140 watts per channel with 4 ohm speakers. Target voltage with the PRV's should be about 23-24.5 Vac. Those numbers will get you in the ball park. Sounds like the gains are not set properly IMO.
I will pick up a meter tomorrow to set the gains correctly.
The gains we're backed down to stop the clipping by ear. Now the volume is so low I can't even hear it at speed. Meter or not something is not right

Old 07-29-2017, 07:59 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member

When I have my meter in hand is there a setting voltage setting for the line leveler also? I did not touch any settings on the line leveler.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:54 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
I will pick up a meter tomorrow to set the gains correctly.
The gains we're backed down to stop the clipping by ear. Now the volume is so low I can't even hear it at speed. Meter or not something is not right
I hear you Bro. But anytime we trouble shoot an issue we need a baseline to start from. We have to trouble shoot by process of elimination. We need to make sure the simple stuff is covered before we get deep in the weeds. At the end of the day worst case scenario is going to be a defective amp and or defective speakers. If your speakers are cutting out or clipping. The most common denominator is going to be input voltage to the amp. A good place to start is with the RCA's and the connections to your new speakers.

Slap the old speakers back in and see if you're still cutting out. 10 minute job. If the old speakers aren't clipping. There's an issue with the new speakers. If the old speakers are clipping. It all points back to the amp set up i.e., Gains, RCA's and Power to the amp.

In regard to your BT Line leveler. I've never had to adjust anything on the line leveler to get good sound. Unless of course the line leveler is defective. Also a possibility but you have to eliminate all the other variables before you draw that conclusion.