Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic system upgrade, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,541 Likes on 2,146 Posts
Default Basic system upgrade, thoughts?

Since buying my '16 RGS in November, I hadn't once used the audio system, as I always listened to my sena Bluetooth. A couple of weeks ago I decided to put some music on a stick and try is out. Well I very much enjoyed the openness of the speakers vs headphones.

So now that I'm using it, I am seeing its shortcomings. Specifically the usual "70mph clarity/distortion"

As with all things when one is approaching retirement (well, in 10 years or so) I'm trying not to waste money, however when it's worth spending, I'll spend it. That being said, as it seems the most common question is "what's your budget" - I'll tell you what I'm thinking.

As I had read here that the Kappa's are a good speaker, naturally I went and ordered a pair before seeing they aren't really compatible with the boom 6.5 head unit, being 2 ohms and all. So the drop in solution isn't there.

Looking to spend as little as I can to achieve the results, I'm thinking the Rockford PBR300X2 is a good option since I won't be running more then the two fairing Kappas. Is that a fair assumption?

So my plan is to get the PBR300X2, a mounting barrier kit ($35, also from Amazon), a biketronics leveler, and a wiring kit so I don't have to cut anything.

Here are my questions.

1) is the PBR300X2 worth using
2) is there a preferred mounting bracket for that amp, or anything listed for a '16 Road Glide Special should,be ok?
3) is the bt355 line leveler the preferred unit?
4) is there a wiring kit you can recommend - again, would like to avoid cutting.

My understanding is the line leveler will take high level signal from the speaker output and convert to line out for the amp. But some videos I've seen show an inline type of harness, that goes between what I expect to be the speaker out on the HU to the speaker cables. How then do you wire the amp output? Seem the harness is only taking signal from the head unit and extracting signal. How does the new amp output figure in?

That's all for now, sorry for being long winded. I know you experts see the same questions every day, so I figured why break tradition...

Old 07-29-2017, 03:38 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Since buying my '16 RGS in November, I hadn't once used the audio system, as I always listened to my sena Bluetooth. A couple of weeks ago I decided to put some music on a stick and try is out. Well I very much enjoyed the openness of the speakers vs headphones.

So now that I'm using it, I am seeing its shortcomings. Specifically the usual "70mph clarity/distortion"

As with all things when one is approaching retirement (well, in 10 years or so) I'm trying not to waste money, however when it's worth spending, I'll spend it. That being said, as it seems the most common question is "what's your budget" - I'll tell you what I'm thinking.

As I had read here that the Kappa's are a good speaker, naturally I went and ordered a pair before seeing they aren't really compatible with the boom 6.5 head unit, being 2 ohms and all. So the drop in solution isn't there.

Looking to spend as little as I can to achieve the results, I'm thinking the Rockford PBR300X2 is a good option since I won't be running more then the two fairing Kappas. Is that a fair assumption?

So my plan is to get the PBR300X2, a mounting barrier kit ($35, also from Amazon), a biketronics leveler, and a wiring kit so I don't have to cut anything.

Here are my questions.

1) is the PBR300X2 worth using
2) is there a preferred mounting bracket for that amp, or anything listed for a '16 Road Glide Special should,be ok?
3) is the bt355 line leveler the preferred unit?
4) is there a wiring kit you can recommend - again, would like to avoid cutting.

My understanding is the line leveler will take high level signal from the speaker output and convert to line out for the amp. But some videos I've seen show an inline type of harness, that goes between what I expect to be the speaker out on the HU to the speaker cables. How then do you wire the amp output? Seem the harness is only taking signal from the head unit and extracting signal. How does the new amp output figure in?

That's all for now, sorry for being long winded. I know you experts see the same questions every day, so I figured why break tradition...
Run the Cerwin Vega B52 instead of the PBR300X2 and you're good!!

* Don't forget the BT line leveler!!

Last edited by Gannicus; 07-29-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:17 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Run the Cerwin Vega B52 instead of the PBR300X2 and you're good!!

* Don't forget the BT line leveler!!
Thanks. I'll look at that amp. I assume I can find a Mounting bracket, but any suggestions on a wiring harness?

Old 07-29-2017, 09:31 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

No need for a wiring harness. You're going to pull the tank off your bike, run an 8 gauge power and 8 gauge ground from the battery to the fairing right down the center channel under your tank. Get yourself a 60A inline fuse and pop that on the power wire close to the battery. The one "harness" you'll pick up is the Rushmore accessory power y adaptor PN 69200921 from your local dealer. it's a purple and black wire that will split off your stock accessory plug. Use the purple wire to connect to your amp remote turn on. That's the wiring kit. 8 feet power, 8 feet ground, 2 feet 16 ga accessory power wire, a BT355, an 18" RCA cable (stinger 4000 series) and 5 feet of speaker wire. You will cut into a total of zero stock wires. I'm not familiar with an amp mount bracket for a Shark. Entirely possible that one isn't needed and it will mount under the radio perfectly fine.

The following users liked this post:
Gannicus (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 06:39 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by cpbedor
No need for a wiring harness. You're going to pull the tank off your bike, run an 8 gauge power and 8 gauge ground from the battery to the fairing right down the center channel under your tank. Get yourself a 60A inline fuse and pop that on the power wire close to the battery. The one "harness" you'll pick up is the Rushmore accessory power y adaptor PN 69200921 from your local dealer. it's a purple and black wire that will split off your stock accessory plug. Use the purple wire to connect to your amp remote turn on. That's the wiring kit. 8 feet power, 8 feet ground, 2 feet 16 ga accessory power wire, a BT355, an 18" RCA cable (stinger 4000 series) and 5 feet of speaker wire. You will cut into a total of zero stock wires. I'm not familiar with an amp mount bracket for a Shark. Entirely possible that one isn't needed and it will mount under the radio perfectly fine.
Thanks for the reply. I looked at a bunch more videos and I guess I was seeing kits that used existing speaker wires and used the factory harnesses for speakers. I expect I'll be running new speaker wire so I won't need that. I'm already using the fairing mount antenna so I'll definitely need that splitter for the remote power. Battery power won't be a problem either, as I already have had the tank off for another project (and am kicking myself for not pulling cables then for this project, but I didn't at the time know this was going to be a project!)

Regarding the BT355- it looks like it comes with a single connector. I thought I saw in a video that the speaker connectors on the Rushmore 6.5 were individual- i.e. One for left, and one for right? If so, how does the bt355 get both channels out of a single connector?

Old 07-30-2017, 06:43 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,258 Likes on 1,520 Posts

You will need 2 RCA splitters that will split the signal from 2 to 4 channels

Old 07-30-2017, 06:51 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mchad
Regarding the BT355- it looks like it comes with a single connector. I thought I saw in a video that the speaker connectors on the Rushmore 6.5 were individual- i.e. One for left, and one for right? If so, how does the bt355 get both channels out of a single connector?
Disregard this. I was mistaken. I saw a different vid that showed two connectors on the line leveler, one for each channel. So that settles that.

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
No, only front speakers. No splitters needed. Thanks though.

So that's it then. Already have the Kappas, ordering today the BT 355 and the Vega B52 amp/power cable from Amazon today. Have plenty of speaker wire. All I need now is to find is a Rushmore road glide Special amp mount for the B52.

Anyone know of one?

Thanks all - looks like this was easy enough.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:12 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Just in case...
Most of us started or audio up grade with the thought of only needing to up grade the fairing. And for some that up grade was all that was needed. But for most the audio bug just keeps digging in, and the up grade is a never ending adventure.

So with that said you mite want to run a set of RCAs and a remote wire for a amp in the bags while you have the tank off. Just in case the bug gets you. You can just tie them up neatly and tuck some place out of the way near the battery.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:31 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

He can easily fit 3 amps in the snout of that RG and the tank comes off easier than the seat. I don't think RCA or Remote would ever be needed in this application even if he decides to add more stuff.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:44 AM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
Why does he need a splitter, he only has 2 speakers?
edit: oops, already covered.

Oh, and by the way, those Infiniti speakers should work fine with that SV amp.

Last edited by Sturgis67; 08-01-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Basic system upgrade, thoughts?