Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Focal or Kappa, Cant Decide

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:44 PM
Exsomos
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Focal or Kappa, Cant Decide

I thought i had my mind made up, but now im torn.

I know that audio is a personal preference thing, but i seem to notice a trend, that most people have gone with Kappa 62.11i or Focals (not sure which model of Focals?)

Are there people that have switch from one to the other? Why did you switch? What was better about the speaker you switched to?

Im pretty sure im gonna go with a Cerwin Vega B54, as i plan to put 6x9's in the lids eventually, and want the 4 channel already there for when i do. Im 90% sold on that amp, so lets base this question on me using that amp.

I know that there isnt going to be a world of difference, but the people who changed im sure have an opinion.

What model of Focal is comparative to teh Kappa 62.11i's? I was trying to stay in the low $100 range for these 6.5"s

Any info would be awesome.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Exsomos
I thought i had my mind made up, but now im torn.

I know that audio is a personal preference thing, but i seem to notice a trend, that most people have gone with Kappa 62.11i or Focals (not sure which model of Focals?)

Are there people that have switch from one to the other? Why did you switch? What was better about the speaker you switched to?

Im pretty sure im gonna go with a Cerwin Vega B54, as i plan to put 6x9's in the lids eventually, and want the 4 channel already there for when i do. Im 90% sold on that amp, so lets base this question on me using that amp.

I know that there isnt going to be a world of difference, but the people who changed im sure have an opinion.

What model of Focal is comparative to teh Kappa 62.11i's? I was trying to stay in the low $100 range for these 6.5"s

Any info would be awesome.
I'm no expert but you have to know the ratings of the Focals you're talking about. Most people like the Kappas because they are 2 ohm speakers and relatively inexpensive so you get more power to them than you would with a 4 ohm speaker. More bang for the buck. Focals on the other hand are much more expensive unless you pick them up from a reliable source on eBay or Amazon, etc. (a lot o fakes out there). I also believe the majority of Focals are 4 ohm so you're not going to get as much power from most amps as you would with the 2 ohm Kappas.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:50 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
I'm no expert but you have to know the ratings of the Focals you're talking about. Most people like the Kappas because they are 2 ohm speakers and relatively inexpensive so you get more power to them than you would with a 4 ohm speaker. More bang for the buck. Focals on the other hand are much more expensive unless you pick them up from a reliable source on eBay or Amazon, etc. (a lot o fakes out there). I also believe the majority of Focals are 4 ohm so you're not going to get as much power from most amps as you would with the 2 ohm Kappas.
MMXIWG is correct! If you go with the B54 amp these are the focals that match up best with that amp.

https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_09116...c&awug=9016148

As you can see they are very expensive compared to the infinity kappa's. They are 2 ohm speakers and they will sound much better than infinity's with that amp in the garage but I'm not sure you will notice a huge difference at 80 mph. You're best bang for the buck are the kappa's. That said. If you want to add 6x9's later on down the road you need to re-think your system.

The 4 ohm 6x9's are going to require power that the B54 can't produce @ 4 ohms. Therefore you need to think 4 ohm speakers with a 4 channel amp that produces at least 150 watts at 4 ohms or 2 bridgeable amps with will throw at least 200 watts to your 4 ohm speakers.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Exsomos
Advanced

Wow... I didn't know that they Focals were at 4 ohms. I guess that is a whole different quality point and price point. A price point that i dont think im going to want to move to.

I have read that plenty of people are happy with the Kappa 62.11i, and that they CV b54 is a good amp. I plan to add Infinity Kappa 693.11I 6x9's in the lids at a later point, hence getting the Cerwin Vega B54 (4 channel) instead of a of the B52 (2 channel).

Is the CW B54 good enough to run both 6.5" and 6x9" Kappa's? Or are the 6x9 Kappas need a lot more power then the 6.5"? Or would i need something like the Cerwin Vega V600.4?

Oh and another question, what is the largest (demensions) of an amp that you can fit in the fairing? The Cerwin Vega V600.4 is close in proce, but has a nice bump in power compaired to the B54. The CV V600.4 is 3.2" x 11.2" x 9.2". I do not want to install the Amp in the bags. I like to keep a lot of things in the bags. I will not have anything extra in the fairing, i will be running a single din Pioneer deck.

OR...should i do TWO CV B52's? is there room for 2 CV B52's? that only $50-60 more than the C600.4. Is there enough power from the bike to run 2 of those amps?

Last edited by Exsomos; 07-25-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Exsomos
Wow... I didn't know that they Focals were at 4 ohms. I guess that is a whole different quality point and price point. A price point that i dont think im going to want to move to.

I have read that plenty of people are happy with the Kappa 62.11i, and that they CV b54 is a good amp. I plan to add Infinity Kappa 693.11I 6x9's in the lids at a later point, hence getting the Cerwin Vega B54 (4 channel) instead of a of the B52 (2 channel).

Is the CW B54 good enough to run both 6.5" and 6x9" Kappa's? Or are the 6x9 Kappas need a lot more power then the 6.5"? Or would i need something like the Cerwin Vega V600.4?

Oh and another question, what is the largest (demensions) of an amp that you can fit in the fairing? The Cerwin Vega V600.4 is close in proce, but has a nice bump in power compaired to the B54. The CV V600.4 is 3.2" x 11.2" x 9.2". I do not want to install the Amp in the bags. I like to keep a lot of things in the bags. I will not have anything extra in the fairing, i will be running a single din Pioneer deck.

OR...should i do TWO CV B52's? is there room for 2 CV B52's? that only $50-60 more than the C600.4. Is there enough power from the bike to run 2 of those amps?
The B54 will push both of those speakers just fine. 150 watts @ 2 ohms is plenty! I've actually had that set up in my bike and installed it on other bikes. It rocks!

Note* That CV V600.4 has the same specs @ 2 ohms as the B54. No advantage there.

Last edited by Gannicus; 07-25-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:29 PM
Exsomos
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gannicus
The B54 will push both of those speakers just fine. 150 watts @ 2 ohms is plenty! I've actually had that set up in my bike and installed it on other bikes. It rocks!

Note* That CV V600.4 has the same specs @ 2 ohms as the B54. No advantage there.
True, Only a 25 watts more per channel at 2ohms for 4 channels, so a 100 more watts total, for around $20+/-. BUT the V600.4 is larger amp... That could be an issue....

ANyone know the largest amp that would fit?