Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need an Amp? Do I Already Have One?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Do I need an Amp? Do I Already Have One?

2016 Limited Ultra. Decided to do a small speaker upgrade from stock. Stage 1 Boom, or maybe Stage 2. Not sure yet. Fairing speakers only. I don't care about the rears, and can't really hear them anyway. Does the stock system already have an amp, so if I do just fairing speakers I don't need to buy an amp? Or should I have a Boom amp (or any amp) for fairing speakers only?

Old 07-21-2017, 03:07 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Brother you've already been down this road before. For what your gonna pay for just the Boom speakers alone you could come close to doing an aftermarket amp and speakers.
The stock system does not have an amp.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:08 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
2016 Limited Ultra. Decided to do a small speaker upgrade from stock. Stage 1 Boom, or maybe Stage 2. Not sure yet. Fairing speakers only. I don't care about the rears, and can't really hear them anyway. Does the stock system already have an amp, so if I do just fairing speakers I don't need to buy an amp? Or should I have a Boom amp (or any amp) for fairing speakers only?
for christ sake stay away from boom audio
what is your budget? or how much were you willing to spend on boom that you wouldnt be able to hear goin down the hiway?

Old 07-21-2017, 03:57 PM
Blue Dragon 2215
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

2016 Limited Ultra. Decided to do a small speaker upgrade from stock. Stage 1 Boom, or maybe Stage 2. Not sure yet. Fairing speakers only. I don't care about the rears, and can't really hear them anyway. ?
Yes you need an amp, and yes, do some research on what will work best for you. The reason you say you can't hear them, is because there is no power going to them without an amp.

I am running the Rockford HD14 Tkit & recently got chosen to beta test the new saddlebag lid inserts... I can roll at any highway speed and use just the back speakers & I can hear them clearly. They fill in the front so you don't have to blast your volume for a clean sound.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:07 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Guys don't let the OP fool you. He is NOT an audio newb. He had a pretty sweet setup on his Limited.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dragon 2215 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 04:37 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Guys don't let the OP fool you. He is NOT an audio newb. He had a pretty sweet setup on his Limited.
i thought his name sound familiar...sandbaggin us eh? lol

Old 07-21-2017, 06:17 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
for christ sake stay away from boom audio
what is your budget? or how much were you willing to spend on boom that you wouldnt be able to hear goin down the hiway?
Really Geezr??

Old 07-21-2017, 09:53 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08

Sorry guys. I wasn't trying to act like an audio newb, or be a sandbagger, or anything like that. I should've explained it a little better. I spent a lot of money on my other Limited. Stretched bags, fender cover, StreetGlide front fender, 19" Enforcer front wheel, LED tail lights, new head unit, and WELL over $3K on a JL Audio stereo. I'm not a professional installer, but I AM a professional listener! I went to an installer, and we talked about Rockford Fosgate or spending the money on a nice JL system (he was a dealer for both), and I chose JL. I got hit by a car last October, and got this 2016 Limited. I thought, all the customizing was fun for awhile, but I'm over it. Except for Power Duals & High Outputs, and a Mini Beast horn, I thought I'd just leave everything else alone. The stock stereo's not too bad at all --- actually better than the stock system on that 2011 that I had. I can hear it on a 4-lane at 75, so I thought I'd just be happy with it --- until yesterday. I was at a dealership that had 1 of those Boom setups where you can hear the difference between stock speakers, and Stage 1, and Stage 2. I then realized & remembered how sucky the stock speakers are! I'm not gonna spend over $3K again, and have an amp in the tourpak, and fish wires all through the bike, and all that stuff, but I thought a little upgrade might be in order. I'm leaving the stock tourpak speakers alone, and just doing fairing speakers. I just wondered if the bike had an amp as it sits stock, and could I do speakers only with the amp that's already there. Remember, I'm only a listener, and I don't know the difference between 2 channel & 4 channel, or what ohms are! I was quoted just under $1K installed for a Boom Stage 2 & the amp. I don't care about a huge JL upgrade anymore. Just looking for a step or 2 over stock, and I thought Stage 2 Boom sounded pretty good. If not Boom Stage 2, what would you do for $1000 budget? Sorry to be misleading. SBates & Gannicus were quite a lot of help along the way when I had questions about the other setup.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:39 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Sorry guys. I wasn't trying to act like an audio newb, or be a sandbagger, or anything like that. I should've explained it a little better. I spent a lot of money on my other Limited. Stretched bags, fender cover, StreetGlide front fender, 19" Enforcer front wheel, LED tail lights, new head unit, and WELL over $3K on a JL Audio stereo. I'm not a professional installer, but I AM a professional listener! I went to an installer, and we talked about Rockford Fosgate or spending the money on a nice JL system (he was a dealer for both), and I chose JL. I got hit by a car last October, and got this 2016 Limited. I thought, all the customizing was fun for awhile, but I'm over it. Except for Power Duals & High Outputs, and a Mini Beast horn, I thought I'd just leave everything else alone. The stock stereo's not too bad at all --- actually better than the stock system on that 2011 that I had. I can hear it on a 4-lane at 75, so I thought I'd just be happy with it --- until yesterday. I was at a dealership that had 1 of those Boom setups where you can hear the difference between stock speakers, and Stage 1, and Stage 2. I then realized & remembered how sucky the stock speakers are! I'm not gonna spend over $3K again, and have an amp in the tourpak, and fish wires all through the bike, and all that stuff, but I thought a little upgrade might be in order. I'm leaving the stock tourpak speakers alone, and just doing fairing speakers. I just wondered if the bike had an amp as it sits stock, and could I do speakers only with the amp that's already there. Remember, I'm only a listener, and I don't know the difference between 2 channel & 4 channel, or what ohms are! I was quoted just under $1K installed for a Boom Stage 2 & the amp. I don't care about a huge JL upgrade anymore. Just looking for a step or 2 over stock, and I thought Stage 2 Boom sounded pretty good. If not Boom Stage 2, what would you do for $1000 budget? Sorry to be misleading. SBates & Gannicus were quite a lot of help along the way when I had questions about the other setup.
you could do ALOT more than just ok, or just a tad over stock with that budget.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:43 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

There is no amp in your limited and unless they are paying you $1000 to add boom to your bike, don't do it! For your budget of $1000, knowing you're not touching rears, I'd throw a JL mx280/4 or a Digital Design D4 amp, line leveler, BT brackets and Digital Designs AW 6.5 with AT28 tweets in the grilles. Proven winner, gives you everything you could ever want and then some

Quick Reply: Do I need an Amp? Do I Already Have One?