Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA on Lithium batteries with audio

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:56 AM
pdevore
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default PSA on Lithium batteries with audio

Ok,

So many of you know that when I started down the audio road I decided to move to the Shoria Lithium battery. I did this for the light weight, smaller foot print, increase in cranking amps and for the long life of the battery.

I have been having some issues with the battery losing charge rapidly over the past couple months and me forgetting to press the charge button on the charger doesn't help. But long story short, these batteries are not designed to operate without the bike running for very long at all. These batteries are great for their intended design, but they are only 12AH batteries. This is about a third of a factory battery. Now for you guys that don't know what that means, it basically means that the battery's staying power with out a charge constantly running to it is only a third of the OEM battery.

So for anyone that plans on playing music in a parking lot for more that 5mins or so, PLEASE do not buy a Lithium battery. If you never do that, these batteries are great.

I could type much more about it but, I need to get other stuff completed.

PS. Chris thought I should title this Alpine Type R's in 4ohm and 8ohm are the shix just to get everyone to look at the thread...

Pete

Last edited by pdevore; 07-14-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by pdevore

PS. Chris thought I should title this Alpine Type R's in 4ohm and 8ohm are the shix just to get everyone to look at the thread...

Pete
Great post brotha!!!! I went down that road just a bit and thankfully the dude at my local shop is an audiophile and refused to sell me a lithium. Good honest dude and grateful for this guys integrity!!!

Please keep this between you and me but I don't think Chris has been taking his meds lately. Is there a chance that u can check his pill box to verify? Every time we chat, all he talks about is ripping all his shix out and putting 2 ohm Pioneer Type Rs all over his sled.

T.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:15 AM
pdevore
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Great post brotha!!!! I went down that road just a bit and thankfully the dude at my local shop is an audiophile and refused to sell me a lithium. Good honest dude and grateful for this guys integrity!!!

Please keep this between you and me but I don't think Chris has been taking his meds lately. Is there a chance that u can check his pill box to verify? Every time we chat, all he talks about is ripping all his shix out and putting 2 ohm Pioneer Type Rs all over his sled.

T.
T,

I would love to discuss Chris' meds issues but I really don't think we have time for that. You are off just a little bit on what he is doing, he is not using Pioneer, he decided to go with Blauplunk speakers and a Jensen head unit.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Let me know when the intervention is. I will drop everything and get on a jet. Poor guy.

Great post on the lithium batter brotha!!! Nothing like a solid and proactive post to help a brotha out!!!!!

T.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:58 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Also trying to decide between MTX 8s and Pyle 8s. I appreciate your concern, both of you, especially nice of Todd to come all the way up for the intervention.

That battery is trash and I've been telling pete for 2 months that it's trash, I'm glad he finally listened and got the word out. Playing the stereo in the garage WHILE PLUGGED IN, Volts dropped from 14 to 11 within 5 minutes. At first we thought it was all the neon tubes that pete has for that circa 1989 vibe under his bike. I'm glad to hear that the problem was the battery. Glow on Pete. Glow on.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:51 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

You guys have my number!