Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question/Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:40 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Question/Problem

I have a problem with my system and am looking for advice from the pros. I have a 2014 flhxs with bt355 LL, CV B54 amp (bridged) to AW 6.5 with T2 tweeters and crossovers. I installed the speakers this spring, the rest the winter before.

Problem...speakers cut out randomly at high volumes above 2/3. Sometimes its both speakers, sometimes its one or the other. Does it driving or parked.

I've replaced the line leveler, rca cables and amp pigtails to try to rule out a short. First instinct is that the amp is clipping. If I turn the gains down it goes away but I have to turn them so low that the speakers dont seem to come to life. I've had several sets of coaxial speakers on this amp and never had it cut out like this.

Question....is it cutting out due to amp failure, wiring problem, or is this component setup putting a higher load on it causing symptoms not seen before?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:48 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Don't have a direct answer, but my first thought is throw a set of coax back in and try it? Just a thought...
Kris

Old 07-11-2017, 12:27 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Don't have a direct answer, but my first thought is throw a set of coax back in and try it? Just a thought...
Kris
I'm still running the factory speaker pods, if it wasn't such a pain to swap I probably would've already tried that. I may have to just do it anyway to check wiring and rule them out.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

How do you have the tweeters/crossovers connected?

Old 07-11-2017, 01:00 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gannicus
How do you have the tweeters/crossovers connected?
I have the speaker wires (6.5") and xover wires hooked together on the amp pigtails. I double checked the tweeter and xover polarity.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
I have the speaker wires (6.5") and xover wires hooked together on the amp pigtails. I double checked the tweeter and xover polarity.
Good deal. I was asking because those TXO crossovers for the AW's are a little tricky. Are you running the AT28 tweeters?

Old 07-11-2017, 02:44 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

Good deal. I was asking because those TXO crossovers for the AW's are a little tricky. Are you running the AT28 tweeters?
No, I'm using the cheap T2 tweeters. Is it possible I'm pushing too much power to those xovers and they are cutting it out?

I have rode for miles playing the same song at the same volume. It will some times go for 10 minutes and never cut out. If it was clipping or cutting out due to heat wouldnt it get worse as it heats up the longer it plays?

Old 07-11-2017, 02:55 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Very possible @ 300 watts. Those tweeters are only rated at 150 max. Tweeters are finicky and can cause all sorts of problems if not wired correctly. Where did you set the target voltage when you set the gains?

Old 07-11-2017, 03:07 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

Very possible @ 300 watts. Those tweeters are only rated at 150 max. Tweeters are finicky and can cause all sorts of problems if not wired correctly. Where did you set the target voltage when you set the gains?
I set the gains by ear. I kept them conservative since I didnt want to blow these. If I lower gains till it stops its pretty quiet, quieter than stock even.. Maybe this amp is going bad? I called DD Audio and they figured this should handle that power without a problem but that doesn't mean anything...

Old 07-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
I set the gains by ear. I kept them conservative since I didnt want to blow these. If I lower gains till it stops its pretty quiet, quieter than stock even.. Maybe this amp is going bad? I called DD Audio and they figured this should handle that power without a problem but that doesn't mean anything...
I think you should go back in with a DMM and a 1000hz test tone with all settings flat at 3/4 volume and reset the gains at about 28.3 target voltage. Then I would check your battery and charging system to make sure your amp is getting enough juice. More often than not when the speakers are only cutting out at high volume the amp isn't getting enough juice. The way to check is put your bike on a battery charger. I mean a real charger not a trickle charger!! Crank it up and see if it still cuts out. Bike off. Try that and get back to me.

The following users liked this post:
InthewindMN (07-11-2017)

Quick Reply: Question/Problem