Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Ohm vs 8 Ohm Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:58 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Not a damn thing when running 2 speaks off a 4 channel amp.

Paralleling 2 set of Speaks, absolutely. But is it a speaker issue or an amp issue?

T.
so let's say you have 2 speakers off a four channel amp. I'm assuming you are bridging the amp and the tweeter is wired with the woofer? So a JL 400/4 gives you then 200w to each speaker that is split between the tweeter and woofer. I'm not too familiar with many 8ohm coaxial or component speakers. So really an 8 ohm speaker applies to pro audio speakers. It's a bit premature to say these are flying off the shelves as the majority of the forum doesn't run pro audio speakers.... Let's not jump the gun here. So with regard to 8ohn pro audio speakers that are much more efficient and require significantly less power to get louder than a standard component speaker, using an 8ohm speaker allows you to run max power from two channels to the woofers and then wire the horns on the other two channels for best tuning options. It's still two speakers and tweeters off the same four channel amp....but louder and more accurately dispersed power. Like I said every speaker in my bike is 8ohn and it's the loudest and best sounding it's ever been and I only have 6 speakers on my bike, no multiple speakers together. I think there's a huge benefit to it. Flyingbrokes example is also a good one; Yooper had the same concern when he first got his 8 ohm MMats then loved them.

theres a huge benefit man. Don't be so negative.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Not being negative bro. It was a simple question in hopes that folks could exchange some valid info and discuss. Just not gonna take any shix from the car audio installer dude.

As stated, personally I don't give a shix.

Essentially the proper use of 8 ohm is a strategy to parallel speaks in order to match the desired amp wheel house?

SQ differences in 2 ohm v 4 ohm v 8 ohm?

T.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

T it is very simple. As Haze stated MANY PA speakers are only available in 8 ohm. Some of the best hard hitting PA mids are only in 8 ohm when you get up into the 8 and up sizes. So other than that there is no true advantage other than potential wiring options. Really that is it. In certain cases SQ is better with higher impedance, but on a bike, not noticeable since defying physics from the get go. So you run a pair of bag speakers. You got 2 options. Run a 4 channel bridged to a pair of 4 ohm speakers, or run a 2 channel bridged mono to 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Good stuff!

So sound quality on a sled is negligible so unless u have a good strategy to wire the 8 ohm Speaks OR if the speaker you desire only comes in 8 ohm, u might just be better with the 4 ohm version if available?

Running these sled amps at 8 ohm is a bad move imho so wiring the 8 ohm Speaks in a manner that sets up a 4 ohm load is a must. So if u don't like the power u r getting from 8 ohm Speaks bridged in parallel off said amp, you really cannot peal the speakers in parallel apart and run them bridged off channels 1/2 & 3/4. More powerful amp is only option?

So really my only point here was to find out what would drive the 8ohm wiring strategy, and it's fairly clear that u can't just throw 8 ohm shix against the wall and hope it works.

On the flip side after the wiring strategies have been evaluated, will a 8 ohm 96 db@ 1 watt speak be louder or more efficient than a 4 ohm 96 db speak @ 1 watt? Or does it even matter because the load will be 4 ohm once installed regardless of this initial spec?

Or is it really the simple fact the the speaker u really dig just happens to only come in 8 ohm and now u just have to figure out a wiring strategy that gets it singing?

Not trying to be a jackarse here boys, just think this is a fairly new topic on this forum for many so thought I would shine some light on it for the above average Joe audio enthusiasts that might want to / or need to scratch this itch.

T.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:42 AM
pdevore
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Ok,
I'll bite and tell you why I went with 8ohm 8's. It was a late night and I had already had a few to drink. I was texting with a buddy that that I was looking at changing out my 8's and wanted to try a new 8 that I have not seen anyone on here try. It so happens that it was only available in 8ohm, BUT the bigger issue was that I didn't even look at the ohm rating as I had already had a few "adult pepsi's".
So the entire reason for my post was to get the information needed to be able to try out these 2 different options of speakers that I had already purchased.
Now I either need rethink (this means I need some of you to help me) the best wiring options for my set up OR I will just order a 2 channel amp and replace the 4 channel 4v2 that I have. I know that the micro 2v2 will fit perfect back in the same location as the 4v2, But what I don't know is if it has enough juice to make the new 8's hammer.
So, in the end my couple of adult beverages has cost me a few bucks, added multiple sets of speakers to the shelf, AND added 3-4 pages worth of conversation here....

Thanks
Pete

Old 07-11-2017, 07:50 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

It's not your situation that is driving this Pete, but I do respect the fact that the Adult Pepsi played a roll. My dragon has some damn programming that locks me out of internet purchases after happy hour unless I blow into a tube that is installed on my computer. Just sayin!!

Seriously bro, there is a bunch of back channel discussion going on about the 8 ohm stuff to include a few others on here that are already pregnant with them.

Just needs to be aired out if possible.

T.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:18 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

All good stuff,and happy conversation is on open forum .I was in over my head when started this audio quest and things have evolved way past original goals and think same for many on here.So find these type of topics very helpful and also get more confused at same time.
Question, can or should you run amp in stereo mode when bridged and parallel.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:26 AM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 787 Likes on 652 Posts

Alrighty.... 4 VS 8? Good read. I but I think I read on a bike you can't tell doing 70mph or at any speed really due to the bike being so loud and all...

My question is 2 or 3 way VS component? If you have a dresser/bagger or a big *** fairing on any other model why not run a test component speaker? I much better bass and better highs.

Or I think it is JBL that runs a solid woofer with raised highs for a better bass on their 6x9's I know and I think on their 6 1/2's too? I for a better sound?

Old 07-11-2017, 08:36 AM
SOFTPETER
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
All good stuff,and happy conversation is on open forum .I was in over my head when started this audio quest and things have evolved way past original goals and think same for many on here.So find these type of topics very helpful and also get more confused at same time.
Question, can or should you run amp in stereo mode when bridged and parallel.

You can.
To make it simple just use this as a rule of thumb.

A 100 watt 2ch stereo amplifier connected to 2 4ohm speakers will net you 4ohms at each speaker terminal. Your amp will deliver 100 watts.

Connect 4 4 ohm speakers to it and it will give you 2ohms. Your amp will work harder thus run hotter. Heat also causes distortion. Each speaker should theoretically see 75-100 watts

2 8ohm speakers connected to a 100 watt 2ch amplifier will net 8 ohms and about 50 watts per speaker.

4 8ohm speakers connected to a 100 watt 2ch amplifier will net you 4ohms at each speaker and about 50-75watts per speaker.
Your am will sound great and run forever.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:40 AM
SOFTPETER
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by REW13
Alrighty.... 4 VS 8? Good read. I but I think I read on a bike you can't tell doing 70mph or at any speed really due to the bike being so loud and all...

My question is 2 or 3 way VS component? If you have a dresser/bagger or a big *** fairing on any other model why not run a test component speaker? I much better bass and better highs.

Or I think it is JBL that runs a solid woofer with raised highs for a better bass on their 6x9's I know and I think on their 6 1/2's too? I for a better sound?
Components are normally higher end, and will give you more separation.
Coax's are easy to install and normally more budget friendly.

Quick Reply: 4 Ohm vs 8 Ohm Speakers