Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace amp or get a DSP? Help needed~

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:10 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Replace amp or get a DSP? Help needed~

Need some assistance on my audio quest; I’m a proud owner of a 2017 M8 Road Glide, I purchased a Biketronics audio system with their 4180-4ch amp. Currently I have their speakers on my fairing and I have decided to use DD Audio 6X9 for my speaker lids, these speakers were recommended by a friend who is also doing my audio install.

My audio installer recommended for me to replace the Biketronics amp so that my audio be better maximize and custom tune, due to the Biketronics amp inability to adjust sound levels, etc.. Also, that a DSP would do wonders if I decided to keep my current amp and not replace it. But replacing the current amp and getting a DSP will set me back about 1k or so, ouch! So I want to ask the audio experts what would offer me the best bang for the buck? Replacing the Biketronics amps or getting a DSP to adjust my current amp settings, do custom tune etc? Trying to be as frugal as I can to get the best sound possible without spending thousands more. So DSP or Amp? I’m leaning towards a DSP, if so, what DSP unit will work best?

Thanks~

Old 07-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
Need some assistance on my audio quest; IÂ’m a proud owner of a 2017 M8 Road Glide, I purchased a Biketronics audio system with their 4180-4ch amp. Currently I have their speakers on my fairing and I have decided to use DD Audio 6X9 for my speaker lids, these speakers were recommended by a friend who is also doing my audio install.

My audio installer recommended for me to replace the Biketronics amp so that my audio be better maximize and custom tune, due to the Biketronics amp inability to adjust sound levels, etc.. Also, that a DSP would do wonders if I decided to keep my current amp and not replace it. But replacing the current amp and getting a DSP will set me back about 1k or so, ouch! So I want to ask the audio experts what would offer me the best bang for the buck? Replacing the Biketronics amps or getting a DSP to adjust my current amp settings, do custom tune etc? Trying to be as frugal as I can to get the best sound possible without spending thousands more. So DSP or Amp? IÂ’m leaning towards a DSP, if so, what DSP unit will work best?

Thanks~
Have u called BT Mike to see how the ARC DSP would interact with the BT4180?

T.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:51 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

My recommendation is if you are working with someone and already trust them to do your install then follow thier advice. I have folks that come to me and say "so and so professional recommended I use this, so here it is make it sound good". That may be that persons preference but not mine. Chances are I'm better with the products I like to use. So if someone you trust is telling you they can make your bike sound best using product XYZ, I'd say then use that product....or give them your budget and ask them what's best within that budget.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Have u called BT Mike to see how the ARC DSP would interact with the BT4180?

T.
No, but good point. I didn't think of that~

Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master

Just contacted Mike from Biketronics, had a decent conversation about my audio goals etc. He recommended for me to give the 4180 amp a try with 4 the speaker setup "FIRST" before I embark on spending more money, etc. So I think I may do that instead of spending more cash. Good advice~ Thanks brothers~

Old 07-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
Just contacted Mike from Biketronics, had a decent conversation about my audio goals etc. He recommended for me to give the 4180 amp a try with 4 the speaker setup "FIRST" before I embark on spending more money, etc. So I think I may do that instead of spending more cash. Good advice~ Thanks brothers~
Good move brotha!!! Sometimes the best course is a slow and methodical one.

If u decide to move forward with a new amp or DSP the process of elimination will also work well cause if BT Mike indicates that the 4180 and DSP are not good dance partners then ur decision to get a new amp is already made for u!!!

Hope the 4180 works well with your new Speaks!!!! Very solid amp but damn it would be really damn nice if it had ***** on it!!!!

T

Old 07-09-2017, 02:04 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

chgofirefighter,

I'm in a similar situation. Are you using the BT line leveler as well? I've had what I think are problems with 2 of the LL and thinking a DSP may be the way to go. Looks like you're thinking of the arc.

BT is sending another line leveler for me to try but if that does not do it, I'm going to look at a DSP, or a completely different set up. Keep us posted on what you do and I'll do the same.

We may have different problems, but it seems we may be looking at a similar solution.

My story is here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...o-problem.html

Last edited by arthur; 07-09-2017 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Autocorrect errors