Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem noticed at low volume

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Mike226
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem noticed at low volume

On my 2010 SG I have hogtunes amp and speakers. I've noticed that at lower volumes the speakers aren't clear and the tone changes (almost like the speakers don't generate any bass, then kicks back in). At first I thought it was just the radio signal I had, but does it with my phone connected via aux as well. When I turn the volume up is seems to get better and better the louder I go. But say I'm stopped and turned the bike off, and the music is still at volume I'd listen to at idle, that's when it's the worst with sounding bad and losing the bass.

Anyone else have that issue? I've got the extended warranty on the bike and considering taking it in. But when I'm cruising I don't notice it so not sure it's worth my time taking it in.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:43 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like a loose/poor speaker connection. Check ALL the connections to and from the amp and to the speakers. Make sure they are connected well.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:23 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike226
On my 2010 SG I have hogtunes amp and speakers. I've noticed that at lower volumes the speakers aren't clear and the tone changes (almost like the speakers don't generate any bass, then kicks back in). At first I thought it was just the radio signal I had, but does it with my phone connected via aux as well. When I turn the volume up is seems to get better and better the louder I go. But say I'm stopped and turned the bike off, and the music is still at volume I'd listen to at idle, that's when it's the worst with sounding bad and losing the bass.

Anyone else have that issue? I've got the extended warranty on the bike and considering taking it in. But when I'm cruising I don't notice it so not sure it's worth my time taking it in.
A couple things come to mind.

1. Check the battery and make sure you're voltmeter stays on 14 while the bike is running.
2. Check all your power and ground connections.
3. Check your connections at the amp.
4. Last but not least. CHECK YOUR RCA'S!!!

As Tesnevo said. The connections are a good place to start.
If all your connections check out I'd say the next thing to check out is the gain settings on the amp. Normally folks have these issues at high volume. Very rarely low volume. I do know the Hog tunes amps have had some issues in the past. Sounds like the speakers aren't getting enough juice at low volume. If the gains are set correctly and all your connections check out I'd start looking at the amp.

The following users liked this post:
tesnevo (07-03-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 09:33 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

How does that amp turn on? Do you have it wired with an ACC power wire to the remote turn on or is it set up to auto-sense signal and turn on when music reaches it?

The following users liked this post:
tesnevo (07-03-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 09:38 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbedor
How does that amp turn on? Do you have it wired with an ACC power wire to the remote turn on or is it set up to auto-sense signal and turn on when music reaches it?
Excellent point!