Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp install on 2011 Ultra HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 05:56 PM
DetroitGuy
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Amp install on 2011 Ultra HELP!!

Hey guys...ive searched high and low online and I'm coming up with zero on this topic. I have a Candy Ds18 Micro4 amp and I can't make heads or tails of how to hook it up to my 2011 ultra classic with the stock HK head unit. It came with 2 harnesses. One is for the "bridged mono" space on the amp and the other is for the "high output" space on the amp. The plug that goes into the bridged mono slot of the amp has two yellow wires going to the same fuse block and then back out. I'm going to try to add a picture. And there is also 2 ground wires. I'm MADE of questions.....

1. How do I connect this amp without using a RCA converter since there are no RCA inputs on the Amp?

2. Obviously one yellow wires is a remote, and the other is 12v. So where should I put the remote wire if the 12v goes straight to the battery? Usually aren't these wires red and yellow? And the remote is blue?

3. What is the high output For?

I'm connecting 2 Rockford 6.5 3way 4ohm speakers to it for my fairing. I could just use some help figuring out how to do so. Thanks.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:28 PM
DetroitGuy
Advanced

There are also 2 identical color sets of speaker wires on this plug. Only one set is a gauge or two thicker of wire. I'm so lost. The B.S. owners manual for this amp doesn't show that many wires on the plug

Old 06-30-2017, 07:53 AM
cfave
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, I have not experience with this amp but, have you tried to contact DS18 about it?

Old 06-30-2017, 09:52 AM
DetroitGuy
Advanced

Yeah, they were litteraly no help. However, thru trial and error..i finally figured it out

Old 06-30-2017, 09:55 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by MichiganVs
Yeah, they were litteraly no help. However, thru trial and error..i finally figured it out
If u get a chance please post ur findings for the next HD audio brother that gets thrust punched by these shixxy instructions in the DS18 manual.

Thx brotha!!!

T.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:49 AM
DetroitGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tailwind
If u get a chance please post ur findings for the next HD audio brother that gets thrust punched by these shixxy instructions in the DS18 manual.

Thx brotha!!!

T.
Ok, so,this is what I figured out. There are 2 plugs, and you only need one. Use the plug with the power and ground wires on it. There will be 2 identical sets of color coded speaker wires. If you split the wires like I did in the pic, you will see that there are 4 purple, 4 green, 4white..etc. wires. The larger diameter wires that are next to the power and ground are what go out to your speakers. The smaller diameter set of wires (which i highlighted with the red box and arrow) are what go from your radio to the amp. This is so you don't need a RCA converter. So you disconnect your speaker wires from your speaker, and hook them up to the smaller diameter neg and pos in the plug cluster. Then the same for the next speaker, and the next...etc. Once they are hooked up, you connect the larger diameter speaker wires from the same plug and run them to your speakers.

as far as the 2 yellow. One was for REM and one was 12v. I ran them BOTH to my battery positive terminal. Amp turns on with the switch in the start position. I ran both ground wires to the top bolt of my crash bar mount where it mounts to the frame. And that's how I ran this amp. Hope this helps someone else

Last edited by DetroitGuy; 06-30-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: To add pic
The following users liked this post:
roughneck266 (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 12:35 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

If you've got the REM wired straight to the battery then that's constant power to the amp with the switch off. That's gonna lead to a dead battery.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:05 PM
DetroitGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by SBates08
If you've got the REM wired straight to the battery then that's constant power to the amp with the switch off. That's gonna lead to a dead battery.
that's what I know to be true also. However, when I holes the REM to a wire that ONLY came on with the ignition switch, the radio and gauges stayed on even after I shut the bike down. I removed that blue REM wire... and hooked both yellow wires (one says 12v and other says REM , to the battery and the power ligh on the amp goes on when I turn my Ignition switch on, and off when I turn it off. So not quite sure why. But that power light on the amp goes off when the switch is turned to off

Old 06-30-2017, 01:11 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

It is possible that the amp turns itself on without the REM wire hooked up. Without having the directions for that amp I don't know for sure but some turn on by sensing input from the radio speaker inputs.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:22 PM
DetroitGuy
Advanced

I'm assuming that's how it works. Because it takes 5 - 10 seconds for the radio to come on now once I turn the ignition switch

Quick Reply: Amp install on 2011 Ultra HELP!!