Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 11:37 AM
mmats69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need a little help

Trying to figure out if I have busted speakers as I've never ran into this problem before.

My audio set up is:
2017 Road Glide Special
Biketronics 6.5" in the front (not the high dollar)
Biketronics 5x7 in the lids
Biketronics 4180 amp

The front speakers are where my problem is. They've never had the best sound from the beginning and I've only had them in for 2 weeks. Talked to Mike and we did the complete radio reset which seemed to help a bit but there's still something missing.

There is barely any bass coming from the speakers whereas the rear ones are jumping with the bass turned all the way down. The bass seems to "pop" when turned up. When I'm riding down the road the right front will get popping static through it and eventually not play at all. Just a hissing sound. What's weird is that at times it will start playing again like nothing is wrong at all. Checked the connections and everything is good to go. The left has the popping sound as well but continues to play.

I can fade back to the rear speakers and the soundstage is completely different. Much cleaner highs and full lows. Once I fade back to the front it gets hollow and muffled.

What do you guys/gals think is going on? I'm trying to rule anything out before I warranty the speakers cause it'll take over a week to get a new set.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:40 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Line Leveler settings? Triple check connections. Swap RCAs. Do u have any wires in direct contact with the speaker causing interference?

T

Old 06-29-2017, 05:01 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

just some thoughts you say when you fade makes me wounder what radio flash you have are you using two line levelers. i would unhook rears check front unhook fronts listen to rears then swap front to rear see what happens.The 4180 used to **** me off don't like the terminal connections double check those. Bt system should sound good and make you happy for long time if you do not get the audio addiction .Wish you Luck

Old 06-29-2017, 05:27 PM
mmats69
Tourer

What I'm going to do is swap sides with the speakers and see if the problem persists. My next thing would be to check the line levelers. Trying to stay away from taking the fairing off but it may lead to that.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:31 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Swap front to rear also.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:40 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
just some thoughts you say when you fade makes me wounder what radio flash you have are you using two line levelers. i would unhook rears check front unhook fronts listen to rears then swap front to rear see what happens.The 4180 used to **** me off don't like the terminal connections double check those. Bt system should sound good and make you happy for long time if you do not get the audio addiction .Wish you Luck
Funny.. Mike told me I was the only one that complained about the 4180 terminals!

Old 06-29-2017, 11:04 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Funny.. Mike told me I was the only one that complained about the 4180 terminals!
Awful connectors. When I had my 4180, I ordered a bag of male deutsch pins, crimped the wires into them and ran heat shrink over the connection and they worked awesome after that.

The following users liked this post:
Moto Mike (07-08-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 07:22 AM
mmats69
Tourer

I swapped the speakers around and the problem stayed on the right side. Looks like I'll have to go into the fairing sometime next week.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:26 PM
mmats69
Tourer

Finally got a chance to get in the fairing. One of the RCA cables had backed out of the amp. May not have been pushed in far enough to begin with. Anywho, problem solved.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:16 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mmats69
Finally got a chance to get in the fairing. One of the RCA cables had backed out of the amp. May not have been pushed in far enough to begin with. Anywho, problem solved.
With the rca hooked up put a small dab of silicone on the outside cone of the rca, enough so that the silicone touches the amp. This keeps rcas from backing off. A very common and easily remedied issue.

Quick Reply: Need a little help