Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speaker holes to fill, need recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 04:09 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts
Default 6 speaker holes to fill, need recommendations.

05 Ultra Classic needs speakers. I need more volume, and better quality sound.
Currently have:
Sony MEX 70bt HU
RF 300 x 2
RF 300 x 4
Amps currently connected with RCAs i have read it works better using hi level speaker from HU to the RF amps, should I make the switch. Are these amps going to get the job done with the right speakers.

Looking for speaker choices for batwing, pods, and lowers.

Lowers have a hog tunes 7 1/4" adapter...have considered the 7 1/4" Kenwood coax, but open to ideas.
Fairing has 6.5" adapters....looking for a good coax choice
Factory rear pods, open to options, currently have cheap Sony 5.25" speakers in there.
Planning on using the 300 x 2 for the fairing and the 300 x 4 for the pods and lowers, but open to suggestions.
Have tried Polk DB in the fairing, wasn't happy with the sound quality.
Have tried J and M XT in fairing, liked the sound, just needed more volume.
Also have a set of Rockford Fosgate P165 2 ways kicking around but suspect I won't be happy with them in the fairing.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.
I have been reading forums for days and my brain hurts.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:57 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

what kinda budget are we talkin here?

Old 06-29-2017, 05:03 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesman280
05 Ultra Classic needs speakers. I need more volume, and better quality sound.
Currently have:
Sony MEX 70bt HU
RF 300 x 2
RF 300 x 4
Amps currently connected with RCAs i have read it works better using hi level speaker from HU to the RF amps, should I make the switch. Are these amps going to get the job done with the right speakers.

Looking for speaker choices for batwing, pods, and lowers.

Lowers have a hog tunes 7 1/4" adapter...have considered the 7 1/4" Kenwood coax, but open to ideas.
Fairing has 6.5" adapters....looking for a good coax choice
Factory rear pods, open to options, currently have cheap Sony 5.25" speakers in there.
Planning on using the 300 x 2 for the fairing and the 300 x 4 for the pods and lowers, but open to suggestions.
Have tried Polk DB in the fairing, wasn't happy with the sound quality.
Have tried J and M XT in fairing, liked the sound, just needed more volume.
Also have a set of Rockford Fosgate P165 2 ways kicking around but suspect I won't be happy with them in the fairing.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.
I have been reading forums for days and my brain hurts.
You need an audio make over brother. The only thing you have worth keeping is the HU and possibly the 300X2. The 300X4 is not flexible enough to do anything because it's only 4 ohm compatible with virtually no power to drive any decent speakers. Sell that one if you can. You can run a 6 speaker system off 1 good 4 channel amp. So the question becomes how much do you want to spend?

Old 06-29-2017, 10:43 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

I had hoped by utilizing the current amps I could stick to around $500 for a budget on speakers that would be compatible with those amps.
If that isn't going to cut it than I would probably focus more on the fairing speakers run by the 300 x 2 and look for some decent 2 ohm coax speakers.
Then plan on upgrading the rest as cash allows or as I sell off some of the old gear I have kicking around.

Is it better running this RF 300 x 2 off HU pre outs or connect to the speaker output connections? I read in some old Forum comments they perform better connected to the hi level speaker output from the HU but wasn't sure if that was just for the Harley head unit or aftermarket HU as well.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesman280
I had hoped by utilizing the current amps I could stick to around $500 for a budget on speakers that would be compatible with those amps.
If that isn't going to cut it than I would probably focus more on the fairing speakers run by the 300 x 2 and look for some decent 2 ohm coax speakers.
Then plan on upgrading the rest as cash allows or as I sell off some of the old gear I have kicking around.

Is it better running this RF 300 x 2 off HU pre outs or connect to the speaker output connections? I read in some old Forum comments they perform better connected to the hi level speaker output from the HU but wasn't sure if that was just for the Harley head unit or aftermarket HU as well.
With the Sony Mex I'd use RCA's. (Low Level Input) I'd grab 2 sets of these:

And pick up this amp:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cerwin-Vega-...-/152340435874

I think you'll stay pretty close to your budget.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:17 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

that CV B52 is on sale on amazon prime for bout $82 right now

oops. that looks like delayed shipping for tgat price. 1-2 months?

Old 06-30-2017, 01:56 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Thanks guys, I definitely like those options. They look and sound like a keeper. What ohm are the AD cx62, couldn't find it in the specs on their web site.
Now the downside, I just ran into a financial snag that is going to force me into holding off on a major audio upgrade until probably winter or late fall at least. Never fails, tax man decided to cause me some grief today.
So now I am left trying to get this at least back up to something I can at least live with until then. Probably can scrape up enough to replace the fairing speakers with something for now. What would be my best bang for my buck?
I am thinking Infinity Kappa for the fairing, run them off the PBR 300 x 2.
Drop the Polks into the lowers and run them and the pods off the 300 x 4.
hopefully that can carry me through the summer.
I also have a Kenwood M3004 kicking around as well.
​​​​​​Would the Hertz Hcx be worth considering for the fairing, just a thought because I see they are available at reasonable price locally, I would have to order in the Kappas.

I think I really need to have a fire sale with a bunch of this gear I have kicking around. Maybe I might be able to round up enough for the CX62 and amp upgrade, lol.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:41 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Also take a look at the for sales stuff here. Quite often there are some pretty good deals on stuff others have tried and have moved on.
Kris

Old 06-30-2017, 09:13 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

The Hertz HCX165 is a good speaker BUT the down side is that they are a discontinued line now. So if you have any issues with the speakers you will be SOL for a replacement in the near future.

As for the AD speakers there are a lot of good reviews from the guys on the forum Here that have or are using them.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Also take a look at the for sales stuff here. Quite often there are some pretty good deals on stuff others have tried and have moved on.
Kris
Thanks for the info. The downside for me is I'm up in Canada, so shipping, customs, and exchange take all of the fun out of purchasing stuff south of the border.
I usually wait until I have a trip South planned and try and pick up a few bargains.
I have a bit of equipment myself to sell from some past systems, but again, same issues sending stuff south.

Quick Reply: 6 speaker holes to fill, need recommendations.