Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:57 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Sounds like you've got your mind made up and everything that was discussed here was worthless. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:10 PM
jjpish
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cp not sure what that means.... most posts said my speakers were crappy so got some speakers that are supposed to be better. Was planning to start from scratch on setting things up once new speakers installed.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:33 PM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Bud...please take a moment out and listen to gannicus and baggeraudiolab. You'll stop chasing things and they will make it right. I listened......so happy I did.

They have better experience of how to make a touring bike sound badass than most local weirdo's......

Old 06-29-2017, 02:44 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by jjpish
I stopped in a few stereo places today and the guy at the last place I believe was the most helpful. I showed all the pictures of what I have. He looked up the specs on the head unit and amp and suggested the JL C2 coaxials. He said they would handle the power and sound much better. So.... I am going to put them in tonight and see how they sound. He said I could return as long as I don't cut any wires.

He he also said he would not bridge as it would be too much and could fry the speakers.

Thoughts before I get home?
Did you get the 6.5 speaker adapters?

My only other thoughts is your initial post was a little confusing for me. You had stated that you've been through several sets of speakers and nothing sounded right. Then you stated that you knew you wouldn't get much bass out of 7.25 speakers. So I naturally assumed you meant 7.1 speakers. Then it turns out you actually have 5x7 speakers which is something you should have known if you've been through a "few" sets. Confusing Bro!

Last edited by Gannicus; 06-29-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:54 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Cp not sure what that means.... most posts said my speakers were crappy so got some speakers that are supposed to be better. Was planning to start from scratch on setting things up once new speakers installed.
1. Not a single post said your speakers were crappy except for your first one.
2. Many posts requested more information about how you had 5x7s mounted in a batwing
3. Suggestions were made about how to make what you had sound better (polyfill and amp gains) and spending $5 rather than buying new speakers.
4. You got a myriad of speaker recommendations above and beyond people trying to get your current setup to sound decent and you chose "D-none of the above"

So what I mean is that people were trying to help you with your original question and steps to take to figure out if the problem was the speaker or if it was something else...amp setting, possible reflex/polyfill issues and you ran out and picked up some new speaks. So at the core of what I'm saying is consider taking the steps that others have suggested prior to opening up a new box of speakers that may or may not solve the problem. Just trying to help brotha, you presented a problem to the forum and we simply offered help in the most economical ways to attempt to solve it. I wasn't being a smart ***, let us know how it works out please.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:51 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

I stopped in a few stereo places today and the guy at the last place I believe was the most helpful. I showed all the pictures of what I have. He looked up the specs on the head unit and amp and suggested the JL C2 coaxials. He said they would handle the power and sound much better. So.... I am going to put them in tonight and see how they sound. He said I could return as long as I don't cut any wires.

He he also said he would not bridge as it would be too much and could fry the speakers.

Thoughts before I get home?
Coming from a guy that has JL Audio wallpaper in his master bedroom, I'm gonna have to say in public that the JL C2 suck on a sled. C3 are marginal. C5 is good shix!!!
The low end crap that JL has produced in China for that conservative price point is just not solid stuff. Very damn tinny and not much presence. Take it back if u can bro.

T.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:19 PM
jjpish
Road Captain

If we could possibly start this over now that I have a little more knowledge and maybe know the better way to tell you what I have done and maybe ask the right questions instead of a blanket question.

You know the head unit and you know the amp.

When I said have tried a few speakers all that I tried were of the same type of quality as the alpines I currently have as I really did not understand wattage and amps and all the stuff behind it. I never bought a high quality set of speakers to try. I did a bunch of googling on what the best is and did not understand the differences in them.

With all these sets of speakers I tried to set the amp by running head unit flat turning up 3/4 of volume with amp down and adjusting amp to point of distortion then backing down. (This is what the instructions said to do). I had no idea what bridging is or crossovers etc....

I have tried in the past insulating around the speakers and really wasn't sure if I heard a difference or not so this last time I did not do it but had planned to this time.

I have messed with every setting the head unit has and nothing sounds right once the bike is rolling. Thought it sounded pretty good in my garage but not on the road.

I am pretty sure I need a good set of speakers. I am not expecting it to sound like my Jeep or my car but something respectable and listenable is what I am going for. I know I am really limiting myself with a two speaker system but my wife hates the tour pack and I really did not want the lowers on so there are two prime spots that are gone. I really dot want to take up room in my hard bags as I use them so another spot gone.

I talked to guys at 3 stereo shops today while I was out o the road. All said that the amp I have is too much for a set of speakers and will blow them if I'm not careful and especially if I bridge. Not sure what to believe.

The only real question I have is what is the best speaker I can get using my current head unit and amp that will produce a decent sound. I plan to start from the beginning surrounding speakers with padding and adjusting gains and anything else that needs to be done. And what is the size I should be looking for. Coaxile or component? If component will the tweeters fit in the gauge spots? What else do I need?

I don't ride my bike like I used to. Both myself and my wife got new jobs two years ago and the 5 weeks of vacation we had is longer. Last weeks ride was a vacation we used to do that a few times a year. The bike unfortunately sits more than it rolls these days. The job I have now I don't have much free time and neither does she and I cant ride to work doing what I do. So basically a Saturday or Sunday ride by ourselves or with friends and the occasional weeknight dinner ride is all I get. Cant justify spending a lot of money based on the circumstances.

If you have links to the exact speakers that would be a huge help. I have searched and prices are all over the map. I bought the ones I did today for $189 which seemed cheap but I also googled others from above that were same price or less so I am suspecting there are numerous varieties of these speakers at different price points. For example I have searched the Infinitys Kappa's 62.11 and they are coming up $135, does that sound right?

I really don't know too much about all this so some of what I read is like another language to me.

I have adapter rings got them when I started this whole journey a couple years ago. Below is a picture of how I got the 5X7 in there.

Name:  IMG_5463_zpslg4yyygg.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  102.6 KB

Last edited by jjpish; 06-29-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:33 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

$135 is about right for the Kappas. If you search hard enough you can find em for $109. The perfect speakers for you would be the DD AW6.5 speakers but they are out of stock until Sometime in July. As I stated in my earlier post the first thing you need to do is get some 6.5 speaker adapters. These will work perfectly:

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...a-82-9601.html

The infinity Kappas 62.IIi are gonna be your best bang for the buck.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-HP04Ks...pa-62-11i.html

Old 06-30-2017, 06:16 AM
jjpish
Road Captain

Ordered The Infinity Kappas will be here tomorrow. Already have 6.5 speaker adapters installed. Looking forward to trying these out.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:50 PM
jjpish
Road Captain

My speakers were crappy....

Name:  1_zpstj14rahx.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  85.5 KB
Name:  2_zpsyboqjaiy.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  102.2 KB
Name:  3_zpstyf8ye6i.jpg