Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried out a baffle today

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 03:42 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Tried out a baffle today

While the wife and kid were napping i thought I'd see if I could isolate my lid speakers from the bags with some foam baffels. From what I can tell there isn't enough difference to really mess with it. I can't get the foam baffle to fully seal from the bag as you'll see in the little video of just the bag speakers playing. I start at the speaker with the baffle and you can still see it moving quite a bit from the air movement from the bag speaker. Then I move around to the side with no baffle; it looks like it's moving a little more, but not sure if it's enough difference to justify buying them. When I get a little more time in gonna put the other one in and try some silicone around where the speaker wire is going through to see if i can get it to seal any better.

If nothing else this have me something to do while the river and town is flooding and waiting on my replacement air ride parts

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzB...w?usp=drivesdk

Attached Thumbnails Tried out a baffle today-20170623_152027.jpg  
Old 06-23-2017, 05:21 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
While the wife and kid were napping i thought I'd see if I could isolate my lid speakers from the bags with some foam baffels. From what I can tell there isn't enough difference to really mess with it. I can't get the foam baffle to fully seal from the bag as you'll see in the little video of just the bag speakers playing. I start at the speaker with the baffle and you can still see it moving quite a bit from the air movement from the bag speaker. Then I move around to the side with no baffle; it looks like it's moving a little more, but not sure if it's enough difference to justify buying them. When I get a little more time in gonna put the other one in and try some silicone around where the speaker wire is going through to see if i can get it to seal any better.

If nothing else this have me something to do while the river and town is flooding and waiting on my replacement air ride parts

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzB...w?usp=drivesdk
That movement seems really minimal. Once you would add another speaker in there the difference will be much more significant.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:13 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Build wood saddlebags!!!!

T

Old 06-23-2017, 06:38 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by slyedog
That movement seems really minimal. Once you would add another speaker in there the difference will be much more significant.
Only turned up to 8 of my max 14. It gets a little worse, just wasn't sure how much of 2 different speakers fighting for the same air space (with one pushing more air than the other) effected each other.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:39 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Build wood saddlebags!!!!

T
I did take 4 years of wood/metal shop in high school...............

Old 06-23-2017, 10:02 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
Only turned up to 8 of my max 14. It gets a little worse, just wasn't sure how much of 2 different speakers fighting for the same air space (with one pushing more air than the other) effected each other.
Try running them out of phase (lid speaker normal and bag 180 out from the lid)of each other so they use the common air space in sync and not trying to fight each other

Old 06-23-2017, 10:07 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Try running them out of phase (lid speaker normal and bag 180 out from the lid)of each other so they use the common air space in sync and not trying to fight each other
Thought about that or maybe adding a mili second or 2 of delay. My last experience of reversing the phase I fried a Moto 692.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:47 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Well since it's flooding and still raining around here thought I give switching the phase of the lids on the PSM a try. I was able to get a little more bass back out of the lids.

Also took the baffle out that I put in. It was worth a try and have me something to do. I could see if running a 6.5" and horn in a 6x9 lid how the baffle might help. I think the 8 is just moving too much air for the baffle and took some of the warmth and low out of it. Might work better for others though, you never know till you try it.