Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6x9 in lids question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:56 PM
Adenton528
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Default 6x9 in lids question

Planning my next upgrade and looking at doing lids with the Pioneer Pro 6x9.

My questions are:

I have a JL MHX280/4. Is that amp bridged going to provide the power that the Pioneers need?

Also, what's a good quality lid for a Rushmore bike? Anyone have any luck with the Advan Black or Hogworkz lids or should I be looking at the Hogtunes lids?

I have a good painter local that is very reasonable so I'm not too worried about color matching. Mostly just quality of materials.

Thanks guys.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:00 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

The hog worx aren't bad for the price at all. I think they are well made, last I remember they didn't come with gaskets or the small items Hogtunes lids have. If I had to chose I like the DD VO6x9 over the Pioneers and the few folks I know who switched like them also. A JL 280/4 is plenty of power for them.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:06 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Theres a big difference between the DD 6x9s and the Pioneer 6x9s. To hear any higher frequencies (like say your wife wants to hear music from the lids) the Pros might be a better call. The DDs thump pretty well but roll off those highs pretty quickly. I don't have a ton of time on my VOs in the lids but taking that horn from the pioneer coax takes away a lot of sound.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:19 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned

Originally Posted by cpbedor
Theres a big difference between the DD 6x9s and the Pioneer 6x9s. To hear any higher frequencies (like say your wife wants to hear music from the lids) the Pros might be a better call. The DDs thump pretty well but roll off those highs pretty quickly. I don't have a ton of time on my VOs in the lids but taking that horn from the pioneer coax takes away a lot of sound.
We've almost done away with putting a tweeter in the back on our builds. We normally put speakers in the bags and a 6.5 in the lids for added volume if the customer has speaker lids. We tried numerous set ups and on the road the additional high's from a tweeter on most 6x9 was negligble, the volume of a 6.5 pro audio was much better heard. The VO is the only 6x9 that I know that fills that gap as a 6x9 in that spot. It's a different sound for sure.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Have run the Hogtunes lids and they were very good quality.

JL 280/4 indeed plenty of power for the Pioneer Pro TS6900.

As for recommendations to go away from the Pioneer Pro, probably should push pause here and find out what ur complete system is. Would be very hard pressed to steer away from a killer full range 29hz to 40k Hz Pioneer Pro to a 100 Hz to 10k Hz DD VO 6x9 unless your system supports that move. VO 6x9 speaker is damn good when used in conjunction with the "right" speaks but if ur tossing them in to compliment most traditional coax and component fairing set-ups, ur taking a bunch of damn good full range audio off the table. If ur running PAs and Horns/Tweets in the fairing, different story as the VOs may provide the fill you are looking for.

T.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:31 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Great feedback and comments on this thread. It's basically a matter of the "other" components on the bike. I've listened to both speakers extensively and had both speakers in my bike. Not only those two 6x9's but just about every 6x9 on the planet has been in my bike at one time or another. The DD's and the Pros are at the very top of the list. There is no wrong choice. Both have mega bass. SQ is better on the DD's high's are better on the Pro's. But as Haze stated you lose the highs in that location going down the road.

If your set up has a nice set of Horns or tweets up front those are the only highs you're going to hear going down the road. All the other highs and lows are lost behind you. That leaves you with the midrange and that my friends is where the DD's shine. Just two cents from a guy who knows just a little something about audio on a motorcycle.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:12 AM
Adenton528
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts

I haven't gone the horn route in the front stage. Yet.

Im currently running Focal KRC165 in the fairing and MMats 601.8 in the lowers.

I figured if I decide to go horns, the MMats and Focals could switch places.

At this point im looking for just a little more around town thump. I'm prepared to lose pretty much all the low end once I get out of town.

With my current setup, I'm envisioning the pioneers may be a better fit.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:17 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned

Originally Posted by Adenton528

With my current setup, I'm envisioning the pioneers may be a better fit.

I keep forgetting you have the Mmats in the lowers. Yeah that one set of tweeters from the focals is probably not enough for four midranges and no other tweeters. The Pioneers will compliment what you have well with the additional horn.

No clue how DD did the specs for their VO line though. The 6X9's rated at 100hz play down to 60hz and the 6.5's rated at 70hz need to be crossed at 110-120hz. Wacky stuff.