Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on system upgrade on 06 FLHT

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 12:01 AM
gtopillado
Tourer
Received 125 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Advice on system upgrade on 06 FLHT

I just bought a 2006 FLHT, the radio system is stock HK but I believe the speakers in the fairing are Focal or Hertz 6.5". I'm going to add apes and gauges to the fairing and figured I'd add speakers to the oem lowers I have. I bought a new pair of HD Boom pod speaker setup but don't think I'll be happy with sound quality. My speakers in the fairing are good so I don't want to change those so have a few question for some that have been down this road.

Is there a kit that will allow me to put a large speaker in the lowers? Links if you can think of a quality kit.
Can I just plug speakers into stereo unit and not have to change or add amp? When I have the fairing open I'll buy a matched set to what I have already.

Want this to be as easy as possible without a ton of work, just want clean good sound like I have from the fairing to my lowers. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Advice on system upgrade on 06 FLHT-img_9466.jpg  

Last edited by gtopillado; 06-02-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:38 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

In all honesty? Once you start down this road you will continue to make upgrades, ask anyone here how they know. My advice is to just leave it alone, but if you're going to add another set of speakers I would encourage an amp while you're at it. You'll end up adding one anyway at some point in the future.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by gtopillado
I just bought a 2006 FLHT, the radio system is stock HK but I believe the speakers in the fairing are Focal or Hertz 6.5". I'm going to add apes and gauges to the fairing and figured I'd add speakers to the oem lowers I have. I bought a new pair of HD Boom pod speaker setup but don't think I'll be happy with sound quality. My speakers in the fairing are good so I don't want to change those so have a few question for some that have been down this road.

Is there a kit that will allow me to put a large speaker in the lowers? Links if you can think of a quality kit.
Can I just plug speakers into stereo unit and not have to change or add amp? When I have the fairing open I'll buy a matched set to what I have already.

Want this to be as easy as possible without a ton of work, just want clean good sound like I have from the fairing to my lowers. Any help is appreciated.
If you're looking at adding lowers an amp is a necessity. Can't do it without an amp. The speakers are too far from your ears and you will not hear them with out an amp.
To start with. You will need these to house the speakers:
https://www.ebay.com/i/like/35165220...ispItem=1n=ps&

I can't imagine your bike has Focal or Hertz speakers in the fairing without an amp as they are both 4 ohm speakers and the Harley stock system on that bike is two ohms. You'll have more info when you take the fairing off.

Let us know exactly what your present system consist of and we will move forward from there.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:29 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Just saw a posting from a buddy that someone is selling lowers that hold a JL8.8 and mount right up to the stock crash bar. Looking for big speakers in the lowers? Look no further!! One of the peeps in the know will slap up the pics and phone number for the guy that made them

Old 06-05-2017, 07:13 PM
gtopillado
Tourer

Got the fairing off and below are a couple pics. Focal speakers and looks like a stock radio with no amp?...

Attached Thumbnails Advice on system upgrade on 06 FLHT-img_9772.jpg   Advice on system upgrade on 06 FLHT-img_9773.jpg  
Old 06-06-2017, 12:45 PM
gtopillado
Tourer

Thinking of buying the pods recommended on ebay link and another pair of same Focal speakers to put into lower legs. Don't think I need a amp., or should I add amp and maybe the larger 8" speakers recommended above?

Last edited by gtopillado; 06-06-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Thinking of buying the pods recommended on ebay link and another pair of same Focal speakers to put into lower legs. Don't think I need a amp., or should I add amp and maybe the larger 8" speakers recommended above?
I'm gonna say this one more time bro and then I'm done. If you want your system to sound good at 80mph. You're gonna need an amp. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
I'm gonna say this one more time bro and then I'm done. If you want your system to sound good at 80mph. You're gonna need an amp. Anything else is a waste of time and money.
U might have to get the crayons out on this one G!!!!

T

Old 06-07-2017, 01:00 AM
gtopillado
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Thanks for advice

Originally Posted by Tailwind
U might have to get the crayons out on this one G!!!!

T
F..O. T!

Old 06-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Thanks for adviceF..O. T!
It's an IQ test at this point bro!!! The guy that has been providing u with advice has forgot more about audio than u will ever know. When he implies that 10-15 watts per channel is a "head up your ****" strategy, u might stop and consider that u don't know what u don't know.

On another note, u said ur adding gauges? If the damn gauges are already pulled out then why not hit the pause button and really find an audio strategy that will actually work the first time. Do some research IQ!!!!! Dudes are pulling gauges and drilling holes in fairings to add horns yet ur gonna put gauges back in holes that probably already had horns in them?

Or u could just hook up a bunch of $379.00 Focal PCs to your HU and tell everyone to FO because ur in denial about the reality of your shixxy audio strategy.

Good luck with your train wreck bro!!!!

T.

Quick Reply: Advice on system upgrade on 06 FLHT