Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Request for Amp/Speaker Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 03:21 PM
jwoitena
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Request for Amp/Speaker Suggestions

I've lurked around this forum trying to gather ideas for an audio upgrade that I would like to do. Sadly, a lot of the terms used is french to me as I'm not a techy when it comes to audio. I'm good with a wrench and can fix your computer, but audio terminology is another language.

With that said, I'm reaching out to you all who have tested. From reading several threads regarding needing/not needing a flash, what type of music I listen to, and budget, I'm hoping I can provide those details and see if there's any recommendations for me to buy something that I'll be happy with.

I ride a 2015 Street Glide Special, and the audio is 100% stock (radio & speakers). I only have the 2 speakers in the batwing. I put lowers on but want to keep the glove box for extra storage. I may eventually decide to add speaker lids or touring pack speakers (when I add a tour pack next year), but for me, I don't want something that can compete in competitions, but rather something that I can clearly hear with a full face helmet on going 80 mph down the interstate (or the speed limit if you're a cop, lol)

With that said, I'm only looking to do an amp + 2 speakers in the batwing. My budget top end would be $900 but anything less than that (whether it be a set or mix and match) is definitely a bonus. Again, my intention is only to have a clear sound with little to no distortion at interstate speeds wearing a full face helmet. The music I listen to is mostly 80's/90's country and alternative, with some harder rock, and classic rock mixed in. If you're a SiriusXM guy like I am, think of these stations - Lithium, Hair Nation, Octane, Prime Country, and SiriusXM Turbo.

I've seen many different packages, but have read some reviews that were negative to packages. I was looking at the Arc Audio MPAK 8, but curious if there's a better mix and match package i can go with.

Any help/suggestions that can help an audio noob out is much appreciated.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:59 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

These:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...rossovers.html

With one of the solid amps from the recent amp tests thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...hich-ones.html

And the BT brackets and BT line leveler

This should get you more than happy.

Now as far as not wanting a comp setup, the recent trend with bikes is based off of sound quality. So this setup above, although not the loudest in the world, could be used in a competition setup, just my $0.02

Last edited by matt76cmich; 06-01-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:37 PM
DelRider
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jwoitena
I've seen many different packages, but have read some reviews that were negative to packages. I was looking at the Arc Audio MPAK 8, but curious if there's a better mix and match package i can go with.

Any help/suggestions that can help an audio noob out is much appreciated.
Ask 10 people and get 10 different answers...here's mine:

Rockford Fosgate refurbished t400x4ad for $300
Rockford Fosgate TMS65 direct drop in speakers $300
Universal install kit $150

Total $750, in under your budget. Follow the install videos and set the amp to the recommended settings in the video. Done. Is it perfect? No, nothing is. Is it a great upgrade that makes for clear sound at speed? In my opinion yes. The other kit I was looking at was the Boom Audio stage 2 (about 1,100) and the J&M (about the same, I think). I found the $300 savings (+/-) enough to make up for any marginal sound differences, especially when riding with equipment on. Others opinions will vary, this is just mine.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2017, 06:53 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Things to remember:
1 A high percentage of the guys on this forum are into the latest and greatest of systems.
2 weather the guys will admit it or not most are trying to build competition systems or at least close to.
3 with the research that a lot of the guys are doing around here the stuff is changing by the day.
4 If you are not looking for a competition set up you can put together a amp and speaker set up for a great price (500 or less) that will rock your bike at the standard 80 mph.

Example: My 98 road king has a set up that is about 4 years old and made up of Infinity Kappas 62.11s up front $169.99 and Kappa 693.9is in bags for about $200. and a Cerwin vega B4 amp $175. Clean clear and loud.
No it is not the latest and greatest or even close to a competition set up but it is plenty for cruising down the highway.

The following users liked this post:
Gannicus (06-04-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 09:53 PM
OkiMike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to Karl at No Cage Audio. I just got a complete plug-n-play solution (Arc Audio MPAK 11) that fell in your budget range. He is GREAT and came HIGHLY recommended and can help you out!!

Old 06-03-2017, 09:59 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
Things to remember:
1 A high percentage of the guys on this forum are into the latest and greatest of systems.
2 weather the guys will admit it or not most are trying to build competition systems or at least close to.
3 with the research that a lot of the guys are doing around here the stuff is changing by the day.
4 If you are not looking for a competition set up you can put together a amp and speaker set up for a great price (500 or less) that will rock your bike at the standard 80 mph.

Example: My 98 road king has a set up that is about 4 years old and made up of Infinity Kappas 62.11s up front $169.99 and Kappa 693.9is in bags for about $200. and a Cerwin vega B4 amp $175. Clean clear and loud.
No it is not the latest and greatest or even close to a competition set up but it is plenty for cruising down the highway.
Can I get a hallelujah!!!!!!

Nice post brotha!!! Your audio setup should be exactly what you and your "reasonable" budget desire. Lots of great ideas shared here but keep it all in perspective as extreme audio designed for parking lots is just that, extreme and unrealistic for most that just want better sound rolling down the road. Lots and lots of real world solutions for all individual circumstances.

Caution: There is some really shixxy stuff out there on the market so at a minimum ask before u purchase.

Good post UpPainter.

T.

The following users liked this post:
scani6 (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 06:31 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

For a two speaker system you want the DD D4 amp bridged to a set of Arc Moto 602's.
Simple solution.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:18 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by OkiMike
Talk to Karl at No Cage Audio. I just got a complete plug-n-play solution (Arc Audio MPAK 11) that fell in your budget range. He is GREAT and came HIGHLY recommended and can help you out!!
I second and third this!! He's CVOJOE here

Last edited by tesnevo; 06-04-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:31 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by jwoitena

JW,

You don't want the MPAK 8, it comes with the smaller Arc Mini amp that just isn't enough for the Arc Moto 602 speakers. What Gannicus recommended is a solid set up and quite a few guys here are running that combo. The Arc Moto 602 speakers, with a DD Audio D4 amp. That amp was recently tested here by a forum member and it does over 200w when bridged. The Arc Moto 602 speakers really start to shine when you give them around 200w. You will also need a Biketronics line leveler.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:20 AM
jwoitena
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate the feedback you all have provided.

With regards to the Moto 602 speakers, any issues with them washing the bike or riding in the rain?

And this may be a noob question as well, but with the amplifiers suggested, are there any issues with continuing to receive FM Radio, or reception from my SiriusXM module I have installed? I saw this post, https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...on-issues.html, but admittedly haven't read the entire thread. Just curious, based on what you all have suggested, if this will be a concern or if there's an easy solution.

Quick Reply: Request for Amp/Speaker Suggestions