Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy help, amp and speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 10:10 PM
rocmytims
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy help, amp and speakers

So I have a 2014 SG standard I would like to add some sounds to it. I have a buddy pretty well versed in bike audio that will install for me. he kinda told me what to buy wanted to see what options you guys thought. I'm cheap and low on funds so don't want to spent to much here goes.

I'm doing 4 speakers 2 in front, 2 6x9's in bags. 1 4 ch amp in fairing

I was told to get a Cerwin Vega B54 4 ch amp - found on amazon for $180
( is this the best price around ? )

was told to go with focal 5 1/2's in front ( I like the built in tweeter) there's multiple models I think the KRC165 are what a lot of people get but there alittle larger than the stock holes.

6x9's in bags not sure what brand to get or model, he suggested RF power series, Alpine type R or JL Audio - looking for suggestions for best band for buck?

because I'm on a budget I decided to drill my bags and give up some space over buying lids for $350 color matched. does anyone drill there bags anymore? is there a big sound difference between lids and drilled bags?

everything I've read said I need one of these for a 2014 and up,

BT355 HD Radio Line Leveler And Pre-Amp Adapter for 2014 and Up

not sure. he said I didn't need to flash the radio, but I want to play it safe

he said he has wiring harnesses and quick released made and ready to go already, but not sure what else I need IE. RCA's and things.

any help to any of these questions is greatly appreciated

Old 05-11-2017, 10:34 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

You don't have to flash the radio unless you want the ability to fade front to back and/or may add another amp in the future and not want to split off the line leveler (a second BT355 is needed for the rear channel if flashed and used). The stock fairing pods will hold a 6.5" no problem, some need to be mounted inside, but that's not too hard at all.

What is your realistic budget here, that will help with the recommendations. There classifieds here can be a big help as well.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:45 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

I too was wondering what the plan was for putting 5.5 speakers in a 6.5 opening. As I stated in another thread, there are a couple 6x9s people use. Arc 692s and Pioneer Pros 6900, the Pros being the favorite. When you say "drill your bags" do you mean point the speaker at your wheel and drilling a bunch of holes for the sound to travel through? Yikes.

Like Matt said, maybe before you buy anything, post up your budget and let a few other guys chime in on a setup that will work well for your needs. No offense to your buddy, but if he's telling you to put 5.5s in a 6.5 stock opening I am wondering how dialed in on bike audio he really is.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:26 PM
rocmytims
Intermediate

Thank you for the reply so far, and ofcourse I could be wrong, I thought I read the stock holes were 5 and a quarter in size, but from what I've read now it would fit a 6 1/2 inch speaker. I also watched this video of the focal speakers I was looking at put in and needing to be cut some to fit. guess it's not such a huge deal overall to cut a little.

I was thinking of drilling my bags, but that was more because of not wanting to spend the $350 on lids and hoping they color match well right now.

my budget is probly about $600 max or total, anything above that and I'd just rather not worry about more sound as I don't ride as often as I like right now.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:52 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

On the road, your 6x9s will get lost, whether you're drilling them or putting them in the lids. If you want a killer sound while you're driving down the road that'll put a smile on your face, get a solid 4 ch amp that you can bridge to a set of DD AW6.5 with a AT28 tweeter. Ditch the pods, put in BT Brackets and call it a day. You'll come in at budget and you'll be happy. Put that money in front of you where you're getting 90% of your sound rather than stretch a budget thinking you'll get a surround sound effect. Reach out to Bagger Audio Lab. Alex is a sponsor here, he knows his stuff and has helped many of us design systems on budget. If you're dead set on putting 6x9s in your bag that you'll never hear above 20mph, you'll end up dissatisfied with both the front stage and the rear stage. alex@baggeraudiolab.com

Sorry for the brutal honesty here but if you haven't pulled the trigger on equipment yet, lets get you started off on the right path.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:18 AM
billablehours
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

One of the easiest and complete set ups that will give you sound and loudness that puts the stock set up to shame is the Biketronics kit. It is a little over your budget but you get an additional 10% off as a forum member and there is a lifetime warranty. There are other set ups that some of the very talented forum members can set up for you but this one is complete one manufacturer and lifetime warranty.
http://www.biketronics.com/2014-and-...eaker-package/

I have a 2180 amp and 7.1 speakers I would sell for $525 shipped. You would need to get the line leveler and harness from Biketronics.

Good luck

Last edited by billablehours; 05-12-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:36 AM
pdevore
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbedor
On the road, your 6x9s will get lost, whether you're drilling them or putting them in the lids. If you want a killer sound while you're driving down the road that'll put a smile on your face, get a solid 4 ch amp that you can bridge to a set of DD AW6.5 with a AT28 tweeter. Ditch the pods, put in BT Brackets and call it a day. You'll come in at budget and you'll be happy. Put that money in front of you where you're getting 90% of your sound rather than stretch a budget thinking you'll get a surround sound effect. Reach out to Bagger Audio Lab. Alex is a sponsor here, he knows his stuff and has helped many of us design systems on budget. If you're dead set on putting 6x9s in your bag that you'll never hear above 20mph, you'll end up dissatisfied with both the front stage and the rear stage. alex@baggeraudiolab.com

Sorry for the brutal honesty here but if you haven't pulled the trigger on equipment yet, lets get you started off on the right path.

Chris is right on here, if you are looking for sound while riding work with just the front stage. If you go to the top of the audio sticky page you will see a VID section. Take a look of some of these front stage only systems. Throw in some earbuds and listen through your computer, or do like I do and play them on your phone through a car with a nice audio system. You will be surprised at how well some of these systems sound and what you can do for a few bucks.

I see you also were asking about the Micro 4v2 amp and the KRC165's, I can tell you that they will play very well together, but you are not going to get anywhere close to your budget. That amp new with a deal will be about $250-280, Focal KRC165's used will set you close to $300. Now you still need all the extras for about $200 or so. I ran that set up with a set of Hertz Mille pro 6x9's and they played extremely well BUT I had 2 4v2's and ran them bridged with 6x9's in the lids.

Pete

Last edited by pdevore; 05-12-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:14 AM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbedor

^^^ is spot on!

Old 05-12-2017, 08:34 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by billablehours
One of the easiest and complete set ups that will give you sound and loudness that puts the stock set up to shame is the Biketronics kit. It is a little over your budget but you get an additional 10% off as a forum member and there is a lifetime warranty. There are other set ups that some of the very talented forum members can set up for you but this one is complete one manufacturer and lifetime warranty.
http://www.refinery29.com/2017/05/15...um=syndication

I have a 2180 amp and 7.1 speakers I would sell for $525 shipped. You would need to get the line leveler and harness from Biketronics.

Good luck
U might want to check that link bro. Not sure nipple lipstick will help the OP get better audio unless the OP is a chick.

Just sayin!!!!!

T.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:38 AM
rocmytims
Intermediate

I appreciate the brutal honesty and thanks for all the replies so far.

i wanted to ask are there any focal 6.5 speakers cheaper that $300 a pair worth using?

to save some money on the amp i think i'll stay with the CV B54

does everyone agree that if you did do anything in the rear that lids would be the only way to go?

i wasnt a fan of drilling my bags or losing space, i know its the old school way of doing bag stereo. but my initial though was it is $350 cheaper than buying lids.

if you do truely lose 80% of the rear sound while riding on the highway, i would prefer to focus on the front only, and maybe wire the bike for doing something to the rear later on.

Also if i go for a focal style speaker with the tweater built into the center of the speaker. is there any reason i need to change my stock speaker grill?
ive noticed others getting the hog tune grills for aboit $30 or so i didnt know if that was needed for space or looks.

Last edited by rocmytims; 05-12-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: New guy help, amp and speakers