Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bike and time to think about the stereo again

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:34 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New Bike and time to think about the stereo again

Had my 2012 Streetglide set up how I liked it, then bought a 2015 Road Glide. Was never really happy with the sound system I had so I traded it in on a 2017 SGS. Just kidding, the stereo was not the reason for the new bike. Anywho, I've got a set of 7.1 Titan II's laying around from my old Street Glide set up and a pair of BT's 6.5's for the lower fairings I had on the SG and the RGS. I ran them off a 4180. Now with that all said, I don't have to stay with my old SG set up, but since I have all of the stuff, I was wondering if it's really worth it to go another direction. The MMats seem pretty cost effective along with the DD horns. How much of a better sound would I get from those over the Titan II's? I listen to mostly rock. I pretty much just open up the iHeart app and pick the AC/DC station and roll with it. When I'm bored with that I'll pick another rock station to listen too. I don't have my radio on the bike when it's just sitting, it's just for riding. I have all the BT adapter if I decide to stay with the stock radio for awhile or I can put my Kenwood in if I want aftermarket. Have the mounts all for that. I may even just give that Sony double din a try to see if I like that. I do like the fact it has carplay built in.

So thoughts on should I just keep what I have for now or give something else a try. I like the size of the BT amp and the fact it doesn't mess with reception when I do listen to local radio. I wish I could make adjustments on it, but I like the little amp.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:45 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Thinking out loud here. To put horns in a batwing you have two options: cut holes in the outer edge of the batwing or pull all the gauges to fit horns in the smaller gauge holes, somehow combine your fuel and your voltages into the two main gauges from Dakota Digital to the tune of $1000. Are either of those options you're open to?

Last edited by cpbedor; 05-09-2017 at 11:46 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-10-2017, 06:08 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbedor
Thinking out loud here. To put horns in a batwing you have two options: cut holes in the outer edge of the batwing or pull all the gauges to fit horns in the smaller gauge holes, somehow combine your fuel and your voltages into the two main gauges from Dakota Digital to the tune of $1000. Are either of those options you're open to?
man we cut holes in fairings everyday! I'm gonna bet you find someone to patch them up or even get a new inner fairing for less than the cost of those gauges if you ever wanted to go back to stock.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:59 AM
pdevore
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
man we cut holes in fairings everyday! I'm gonna bet you find someone to patch them up or even get a new inner fairing for less than the cost of those gauges if you ever wanted to go back to stock.
But Brother the Dakota Digital gauges are sweet......
That said, I don't think they offer the volt meter in the main cluster. Mine is set up with the volt meter separate and the oil temp separate. Everything else is in the main cluster.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by fightingmajor
Had my 2012 Streetglide set up how I liked it, then bought a 2015 Road Glide. Was never really happy with the sound system I had so I traded it in on a 2017 SGS. Just kidding, the stereo was not the reason for the new bike. Anywho, I've got a set of 7.1 Titan II's laying around from my old Street Glide set up and a pair of BT's 6.5's for the lower fairings I had on the SG and the RGS. I ran them off a 4180. Now with that all said, I don't have to stay with my old SG set up, but since I have all of the stuff, I was wondering if it's really worth it to go another direction. The MMats seem pretty cost effective along with the DD horns. How much of a better sound would I get from those over the Titan II's? I listen to mostly rock. I pretty much just open up the iHeart app and pick the AC/DC station and roll with it. When I'm bored with that I'll pick another rock station to listen too. I don't have my radio on the bike when it's just sitting, it's just for riding. I have all the BT adapter if I decide to stay with the stock radio for awhile or I can put my Kenwood in if I want aftermarket. Have the mounts all for that. I may even just give that Sony double din a try to see if I like that. I do like the fact it has carplay built in.

So thoughts on should I just keep what I have for now or give something else a try. I like the size of the BT amp and the fact it doesn't mess with reception when I do listen to local radio. I wish I could make adjustments on it, but I like the little amp.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
you will find no comparison between mmats and horns to BT titans, not knocking their speakers, but not in the same league.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbedor
Originally Posted by yooperhog
you will find no comparison between mmats and horns to BT titans, not knocking their speakers, but not in the same league.
yooper.....I take it you liked them! We need a vid.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:29 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
yooper.....I take it you liked them! We need a vid.
hey alex
love them. bags n lids should be back from paint by next weekend at latest. vid then. cant say enuf how much i like the mmats n horns!

Old 05-10-2017, 11:10 AM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
They are that much better than the Titan II's huh. I'm not worried about cutting on the fairing. Worse case scenario, I don't like ti and I order a color matching inner fairing like I will eventually anyway haha. I'm probably going to go ahead and pick up the mounts and install what I have for now. Once I move my mirrors, then I will have a chance to think about putting the horns there. Would be an easy thought on a pre-Rushmore fairing design as they could have popped right into two of the gauge holes.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:10 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pdevore
But Brother the Dakota Digital gauges are sweet......
That said, I don't think they offer the volt meter in the main cluster. Mine is set up with the volt meter separate and the oil temp separate. Everything else is in the main cluster.
If you need a volt meter and want to loose the gauge. Battery Tender makes one that plugs into the pig tail for charging. I have mine so it tucks under the seat and if I want to check voltage I just pull it out and take a look. It is digital and about the size of a large zip drive.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:58 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I think I saw a digital voltmeter that plugs into the cig lighter...just an option