Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker lids for 17 RGS

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 02:47 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 271 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Speaker lids for 17 RGS

Starting to look for speaker lids for my 17 RGS. See some real shady stuff available but always worried about quality..what brands is everyone running? Is it better to have them painted when you buy them or have painted locally? Also I see that you can get them for 5x7 or 6x9. Are there pro and con's to both? Thanks for any input!

Old 05-05-2017, 03:32 AM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Alright so which ones have u already looked at? And what pros and cons are u seeing? Also, which speaker size do u prefer to go with?

Old 05-05-2017, 03:55 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

I have seen Harley, Bad Dad baggers, hogtunes and some brands I have never heard of. As far as speakers what are the advantages of the 6x9 over the 5x7 if any?

Old 05-05-2017, 06:50 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I have Hogtunes and have no complaints. Ordered a different brand that came with an adapter, that would have mounted my speaker too deep.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:01 AM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You will get different sound from the 5x7 vs 6x9. But if your bags are always full and you want sound, you probably won't notice a difference between the two. If the bags are empty, 6x9's will have the better sound as they will create better bass. As always, rolling down the highway they will both sound the same. I've wanted to add speakers to my bags for a bit now, but I actually use my bags to carry stuff and don't want to give up a ton of space. I ordered a 17 Laguna Orange and if I do speakers in the bags, I will probably just buy the painted ones from Harley. Mainly because I don't need 6 x 9's and I want the paint to match exactly.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fightingmajor
You will get different sound from the 5x7 vs 6x9. But if your bags are always full and you want sound, you probably won't notice a difference between the two. If the bags are empty, 6x9's will have the better sound as they will create better bass. As always, rolling down the highway they will both sound the same. I've wanted to add speakers to my bags for a bit now, but I actually use my bags to carry stuff and don't want to give up a ton of space. I ordered a 17 Laguna Orange and if I do speakers in the bags, I will probably just buy the painted ones from Harley. Mainly because I don't need 6 x 9's and I want the paint to match exactly.
Curious if I you can use any 6x9 in the Harley lids? I do not want to use HD speakers..and like you I want the paint to match perfect..

Old 05-05-2017, 12:10 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

There are other companies that make 5x7's. They are not exclusive to Harley. BT makes one.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

I know other companies make 5x7's. I was just pointing out if I buy Harley lids I am not buying there speakers. Though I did read that Harley lids will only accept 5x7 and will not confirm if other brand speakers will fit.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:04 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

As far as paint match goes my last 2 street glides have been tricoat colors, crimson red sunglow and blackened cayenne. I have had custom parts, bags, fenders and lids painted by a local painter. The trick to matching the paint is to use the HD paint and a painter that knows what they are doing. My paint matches perfectly and saved a bunch over buying the prepainted parts from HD.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:00 PM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

http://www.thefactorymatch.com is an excellent source to get stuff painted to match. They have the hogtunes lids with or without speakers or you can call them and arrange other items. Recently I was pricing out a fender on their site and randomly tried 10OFF for a coupon code and it took 10% off my cart. I didn't place the order so not sure if they would honor it or not.

Quick Reply: Speaker lids for 17 RGS