Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best batwing speaker and amp upgrade option on my '15 SG with 4.3

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 11:18 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Hey Schwinn, check out this link to the Midwest Meetup. You're not far away and perhaps before taking the plunge into this glorious black hole of sled audio, you can join us and see whos running what and how it sounds. Nothing like having a chance to see mild to wild first hand.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/great...-and-10th.html

The following 2 users liked this post by cpbedor:
pglider (05-01-2017), Schwinn collector (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 11:32 AM
Schwinn collector
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on the meet as I was thinking it would be great to hear the different systems on the actual bikes as opposed to in a showroom.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:26 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Just a little FYI...BT amps are hand made and signed by builders right there in Idaho, great rms power (claimed 180 rms, tested at 150+ by AWAV if I remember right) and clean warm sound. The only knock on the 4180 and 2180 is the adjustability, ie no gain control, which I did not need because my HU has a lot of adjustability. There speakers are Hybrid Audio Technology (HAT's) which have won more car audio awards then all other speakers combined since 2006, and Hertz (well known and respected)! Another + on the HAT's on a sled is the they are resistant to water, if you go on Hybrid's website you will see them sitting in an aquarium where they are running a garden hose on them, always good on a bike! Its good you took there criticism with a grain of salt! Baby Boy and I are a little south of you and could meet up for a quick listen. Baby Boy is also doing installs for a custom bike shop in Crete il. and has tried a lot of different sh*t on his bike, maybe he will chime in!

Last edited by Moto Mike; 04-30-2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: added
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn collector (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 05:33 PM
Schwinn collector
Advanced

Thanks again Moto Mike. More good info. I will PM you to arrange coming to see your system and possibly stop by the shop that Baby Boy works at to see what's up there. Really looking forward to the process and finally getting a better sounding set up on my ride.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Covert Olds
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbedor
If you're going to do this, try and do it once, do it right. In addition to the Line Leveler, if you are going to run a good component, you will also likely need to look into the BT Brackets that allow you to mount a full size speaker in your fairing instead of using the pods that are in there. If this is starting to sound overwhelming, let me assure you that you can do this. If you can take off your seat, you can install everything we will recommend. Tailwind is correct in that the current crown jewel of performance components, the DD AW6.5/AT28 tweeter is on back order until July and I'm 99% sure our friend Covert Olds already scoured the country and got the last set out of a joint in Texas. The Ground Zero Micro Four is a heck of an amp with a small footprint, as is the JL 280/4. All three mentioned here will do a great job with whatever speaker setup you choose. What is your timeline to get this done? If it were me, I wouldn't be able to wait until July for those speakers but I'm impatient. The GZ 6.5 is a comparable...not equal...speaker to the AW but I don't think any of us know what their tweeters sound like. If you can hang out for a few days and absorb all the info, you'll be able to narrow down some options pretty easily and of course the easy button on all this is to send Bagger Audio Lab a PM and let Alex steer you once you've gotten some ideas.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:12 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwinn collector
Thanks again Moto Mike. More good info. I will PM you to arrange coming to see your system and possibly stop by the shop that Baby Boy works at to see what's up there. Really looking forward to the process and finally getting a better sounding set up on my ride.
Let me know if and when you come down south of 55 to meet up with MOTO MIKE and I'll see what my schedule is looking like. HOPEFULLY I'll have my sled done by then for you to have a listen.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Schwinn collector
Advanced

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Let me know if and when you come down south of 55 to meet up with MOTO MIKE and I'll see what my schedule is looking like. HOPEFULLY I'll have my sled done by then for you to have a listen.
Thanks.
I will take you up on that offer soon to hear the difference of some of these systems.
Seems my biggest question now is with running the stock 4.3 radio ( for now ) will I really need an amp with the gain control? Seems odd that the BT stuff doesn't have the gain controls which has always been a standard thing on any amp.

Thanks again everybody for your great information.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:19 PM
wideglide100
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Schwinn, I'm also in Palatine and in the process of installing the DD AW6.5 & AT28s. Hertz HDP4 amp with BT brackets and their 355 line levelers. You're welcome to stop and see what's involved cause I'm about half complete with outer fairing currently off. Good opportunity to see what's involved. Then come back to hear after it's completed...should be about a week or so.

Schwinn collector (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 06:14 PM
Schwinn collector
Advanced

Originally Posted by wideglide100
Hey Schwinn, I'm also in Palatine and in the process of installing the DD AW6.5 & AT28s. Hertz HDP4 amp with BT brackets and their 355 line levelers. You're welcome to stop and see what's involved cause I'm about half complete with outer fairing currently off. Good opportunity to see what's involved. Then come back to hear after it's completed...should be about a week or so.
Thanks for the invite Wideglide.
I just sent you a PM.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Schwinn collector
Advanced
Default My classic rock list...

Originally Posted by SgtMic
I'm not sure what classic rock is anymore.
I'm pretty sure I heard Nirvana on the classic rock station the other day.
To me, that's not Zepellin, Sabbath, Fleetwwod Mac or the Doobie Brothers.

What genre of classic rock? LOL
I hear you on the "what is classic rock" question. Here's my answer:
AC/DC
Bad Co.
Clapton
Doobie Brothers
Eagles
Frampton
Genisis
Hendrix
Inxs
Journey
Kansas
Led Zeppelin
Marshal Tucker
Nugent
Outlaws
Petty
Queen
Rolling Stones
Santana
Trower
U2
Van Halen
Who
Young
ZZ Top

This is just my basic list, not the end all. ( and I didn't forget "X" but couldn't think of a good example )

: )

Quick Reply: Best batwing speaker and amp upgrade option on my '15 SG with 4.3