Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and cons of running speakers in parallel

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 10:53 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Pros and cons of running speakers in parallel

What are they? Asking for a friend.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:03 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

In cave man speak, go buy another amp to power each speaker with its own channel or parallel with what u have. Simple as that. Space available, cost, etc....

There can be a bunch of other factors involved but with the basic question being asked for your friend, a simple answer.

T.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:46 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,660 Likes on 767 Posts

Running speakers in parallel will lower the impedence. e.g. two 8 ohm speakers in parallel will appear as a 4 ohm speaker overall, however the available amplifier power will be shared equally by both of them so you'll see no audio gains. You would only attempt to do this if the amplifier was critically unstable at anything other than it's designed impedence. In the real world that'd be highly unlikely.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:33 AM
Rob Montgomery
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the previous 2 posts are kinda right...lets talk about it on a bike...8 ohm speakers are only home stereo stuff...bikes and usually autos are 4 ohm speakers.
Now, if you run one 4 ohm speaker on a radio or amp per say, lets say an amp, and your amp does 80 watts at 4 ohms then that speaker is getting the full 80.
Now if you run 2, 4 ohm speakers on the same amplified channel, your presenting a 2 ohm load on the channel, when resistance goes down, power will come up, usually 1.5 times the power, thus your amp output is 120 watts at 2 ohms, or, 120 divided by 2 speakers, equals each speaker sees 60 watts. Thats kinda a pro and a con. Now here is where it gets a little technical. When you lower the impediance(ohms) load on an amp, you gain power, but you also gain distortion, and you gain heat...Now the distirtion level is really hard to tell the difference, especially on a bike, especially on a moving bike..But, the major killer or con in this is the heat...When you lower the load to say 2 ohms, the amp will get hotter, quicker, and this is the part we battle on bikes, as the amp is mounted in the fairing or the bags..at all times try to put the amp in the fairing, usually above the radio on batwing harleys, and on the sides on the road glide fairing, the latter my favorite because you can easily do 2 amps in the r.g. fairing, and best part the customer cant easily mess with the amp settings...Remember you should set an amp once and leave it alone( other than minor tweakings to get it perfect, but still at time of install). If you have to put the amp in the bag, we used to battle heat a lot, but in recent years, the new, smaller digital amps only get luke warm even at 2 ohms, so heat isnt as bad of a concern, but, in bags, all the connections should be made with quick disconnects between the bag and the bike for future service, adding time and cost to the install...

​​​​​​ So your pro is the increased power output, the con is your dividing the power by number of speakers your parreling, and your increasing the heat of the amp...
Now say your running 8 speakers like i am on my street glide, 2 in the fairing, 2 in the lowers( yes i added them for the speakers) and double 6x9s in the bag lids. You could run them off of one amp but your really only getting 3/4 of the power to each speaker...im running one 4 channel amp in the fairing and one 4 channel in the bag, sinilar to the new harley cvo setup but with better speakers and amps. And i added the quick detach tour pack for long trips and i run those 2 speakers off of just radio power since theyre only 5.25 inch size and they blow really easy on an amp..But, i slao dont run it much ever...The system is loud as hell and crystal clear...
Hope this helps, and jam on...
Loud stereos saves lives....

Old 04-16-2017, 08:01 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Great replies.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Montgomery
Well the previous 2 posts are kinda right...lets talk about it on a bike...8 ohm speakers are only home stereo stuff...bikes and usually autos are 4 ohm speakers.
Now, if you run one 4 ohm speaker on a radio or amp per say, lets say an amp, and your amp does 80 watts at 4 ohms then that speaker is getting the full 80.
Now if you run 2, 4 ohm speakers on the same amplified channel, your presenting a 2 ohm load on the channel, when resistance goes down, power will come up, usually 1.5 times the power, thus your amp output is 120 watts at 2 ohms, or, 120 divided by 2 speakers, equals each speaker sees 60 watts. Thats kinda a pro and a con. Now here is where it gets a little technical. When you lower the impediance(ohms) load on an amp, you gain power, but you also gain distortion, and you gain heat...Now the distirtion level is really hard to tell the difference, especially on a bike, especially on a moving bike..But, the major killer or con in this is the heat...When you lower the load to say 2 ohms, the amp will get hotter, quicker, and this is the part we battle on bikes, as the amp is mounted in the fairing or the bags..at all times try to put the amp in the fairing, usually above the radio on batwing harleys, and on the sides on the road glide fairing, the latter my favorite because you can easily do 2 amps in the r.g. fairing, and best part the customer cant easily mess with the amp settings...Remember you should set an amp once and leave it alone( other than minor tweakings to get it perfect, but still at time of install). If you have to put the amp in the bag, we used to battle heat a lot, but in recent years, the new, smaller digital amps only get luke warm even at 2 ohms, so heat isnt as bad of a concern, but, in bags, all the connections should be made with quick disconnects between the bag and the bike for future service, adding time and cost to the install...

​​​​​​ So your pro is the increased power output, the con is your dividing the power by number of speakers your parreling, and your increasing the heat of the amp...
Now say your running 8 speakers like i am on my street glide, 2 in the fairing, 2 in the lowers( yes i added them for the speakers) and double 6x9s in the bag lids. You could run them off of one amp but your really only getting 3/4 of the power to each speaker...im running one 4 channel amp in the fairing and one 4 channel in the bag, sinilar to the new harley cvo setup but with better speakers and amps. And i added the quick detach tour pack for long trips and i run those 2 speakers off of just radio power since theyre only 5.25 inch size and they blow really easy on an amp..But, i slao dont run it much ever...The system is loud as hell and crystal clear...
Hope this helps, and jam on...
Loud stereos saves lives....
Can u possibly expand on this?

Kidding bro.

T.

The following users liked this post:
scani6 (04-17-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 09:56 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Can u possibly expand on this?

Kidding bro.

T.
HAHA, damn.....

Old 04-16-2017, 10:20 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

When you parallel two speakers, you halve the impedance, or resistance, or "the load".

This causes the amplifier to try to put out double the current output and double the power.

Since you're splitting the current output between two speakers, you really won't hear any noticeable change in volume.

You will, however, without question, be asking the amplifier to work twice as hard. If the amp is capable of delivering double its rated power output, the only negative will be that it will run hotter. If it's not capable of delivering double its rated power output, bad things will happen; fuses will pop and/or things will melt.

The joke in the audio world is that there are indeed amps that will deliver full power to a zero impedance load, or a dead short; these are formally known as "arc welders".

Old 04-16-2017, 01:14 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Montgomery
Well the previous 2 posts are kinda right...lets talk about it on a bike...8 ohm speakers are only home stereo stuff...
Stuff like that worked very well in my bass guitar cabs, granted different application.