Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on JL Audio amps

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 01:20 PM
mmats69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Question on JL Audio amps

I recently traded my bike in on a 2012 CVO SG. To make a long story short the person who had the bike before me did a complete hack job on the stereo wiring. We're talking wires twisted together and electrical tape covering them. Needless to say I'm having to pull everything and start over from scratch.

It has a JL 400/4 in the fairing pushing 4 focal 6.5's and 2 5x7's in the lids. Also has some no name amp in the right bag pushing 4 JL 6x9's that face the wheel. I decided to do away with the no name amp and get a JL mhx 280/4 to push the 6x9's in the bags.

My question is this, has anyone fit more than one of these amps in the fairing? I'd like to use a mx 500/4 to power all the speakers up front. This way everything will be up front and the wiring will be much easier.

If not, I'm open to suggestions on 2 good amps that will fit in the fairing that will run all these speakers.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:56 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmats69
I recently traded my bike in on a 2012 CVO SG. To make a long story short the person who had the bike before me did a complete hack job on the stereo wiring. We're talking wires twisted together and electrical tape covering them. Needless to say I'm having to pull everything and start over from scratch.

It has a JL 400/4 in the fairing pushing 4 focal 6.5's and 2 5x7's in the lids. Also has some no name amp in the right bag pushing 4 JL 6x9's that face the wheel. I decided to do away with the no name amp and get a JL mhx 280/4 to push the 6x9's in the bags.

My question is this, has anyone fit more than one of these amps in the fairing? I'd like to use a mx 500/4 to power all the speakers up front. This way everything will be up front and the wiring will be much easier.

If not, I'm open to suggestions on 2 good amps that will fit in the fairing that will run all these speakers.
Gonna be tough to find two good amps with enough power to run all of those speakers that will fit in the fairing. You need two amps. But one is gonna have to go in the saddle bags. I'm counting 10 speakers. So that tells me you're gonna need at least two four channel amps pushing 150W to each speaker. I can't think of an amp configuration in the fairing alone that would serve your needs.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:28 PM
mmats69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Gonna be tough to find two good amps with enough power to run all of those speakers that will fit in the fairing. You need two amps. But one is gonna have to go in the saddle bags. I'm counting 10 speakers. So that tells me you're gonna need at least two four channel amps pushing 150W to each speaker. I can't think of an amp configuration in the fairing alone that would serve your needs.
I was afraid that you would say that. Hoped that i could get away with both amps in the fairing but it doesn't look like I'll be able to.