Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need guidance please on install on a 2014 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:49 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Arrow Need guidance please on install on a 2014 Limited

First of all I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff so something may be installed wrong or maybe it's something simple we did, not sure. Here's what I have. Hertz ECX 165s
Hertz EVF 165s
Diamond micro 4v2 amp
BT 355 (F)
Bt 355 (R)
amp wiring kit have.
When the bike isn't running it sounds decent but really I thought it would have a deeper sound. To be honest the stock system sounded better. Thats why I think something isn't correct. I have contacted the seller and I know they will help but it's Saturday and not sure if they will respond today so I'm asking for help.
When you crank the bike and head down the road you have to turn the bass all the way up and treble all the way down to even stand it. If I lead forward toward the fairing it sounds deeper but still not good. With the radio on I have lost alot of reception and the sound is not good. We adjusted the gains with the fairing off and it really didn't make a whole lot of difference so it's about in the middle I guess.
Any advise well be greatly appreciated so I can look at this weekend.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Try checking the simple stuff (good connection at speakers, right polority, etc). Assuming you've done that what are your x-over settings at? If the gain adjustment isn't making a difference something is definitely out of whack. Not being a smart azz, but are you sure the amp has power?

Old 02-25-2017, 08:16 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

After u triple check all of the connections, polarity, crossover settings, etc, in the name of managing expectations, that speaker combo is not in the business of getting you the "deep" sound u might be looking for.

Speaker choice is critical brotha!!!! The stuff u have in there might not be what ur ears are looking for.

Good luck!!!!

T

Old 02-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
After u triple check all of the connections, polarity, crossover settings, etc, in the name of managing expectations, that speaker combo is not in the business of getting you the "deep" sound u might be looking for.

Speaker choice is critical brotha!!!! The stuff u have in there might not be what ur ears are looking for.

Good luck!!!!

T
I agree with T! Not a good speaker combo at all! Those are really bright speakers!! Anytime you have to turn the bass all the way up and the treble all the way down. It's a problem. You will never get that speaker combo to sound good. Need new speakers bro!

Old 02-25-2017, 09:21 AM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Before you throw your speakers in the trash:

Are you running the stock 6.5 BOOM head unit?

If so, do you know what version the software is?

Did you purchase a Biketronics Break-out harness or are you running the rear speakers directly off of the amp, without any fade control?

Are the rear speakers too bright as well? It seems unlikely since they are a mid-woofer without a tweeter.

How did you adjust the gains on your amp (by ear, multi-meter, distortion detection device or a guess) ? You need to "properly" adjust them with a test-tone, AVC set to off and treble & bass set to the middle (flat).

You also need to be sure the filters on the amp are set/adjusted properly.

Did you leave the adjustments on the BT355s in their default positions (as they came from Biketronics)?

Where did you attach the ground wire from the amp?

Have you double-checked to be sure that polarity of all the speakers is correct?

As T & Gann have stated, there are much better speaker choices. If everything with the rest of your system checks out, then you're probably going to be in the market for fifferent speakers.

Also, your amp is rated at 80 watts per channel x 4. You're not going to get the same results as those who're pumping 150 to 200 watts per channel into a component speaker set-up.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
Before you throw your speakers in the trash:

Are you running the stock 6.5 BOOM head unit?

If so, do you know what version the software is?

Did you purchase a Biketronics Break-out harness or are you running the rear speakers directly off of the amp, without any fade control?

Are the rear speakers too bright as well? It seems unlikely since they are a mid-woofer without a tweeter.

How did you adjust the gains on your amp (by ear, multi-meter, distortion detection device or a guess) ? You need to "properly" adjust them with a test-tone, AVC set to off and treble & bass set to the middle (flat).

You also need to be sure the filters on the amp are set/adjusted properly.

Did you leave the adjustments on the BT355s in their default positions (as they came from Biketronics)?

Where did you attach the ground wire from the amp?

Have you double-checked to be sure that polarity of all the speakers is correct?

As T & Gann have stated, there are much better speaker choices. If everything with the rest of your system checks out, then you're probably going to be in the market for fifferent speakers.

Also, your amp is rated at 80 watts per channel x 4. You're not going to get the same results as those who're pumping 150 to 200 watts per channel into a component speaker set-up.
Wow, wish I'd left it alone now. Sounds like I may be in trouble then. Still not giving up yet, I'll check what I can though. So the amp Diamond amp isn't putting out any amps then ? I thought it was good. We also had to run a wire from the line that goes to the cigarette lighter to get the amp to turn on even though it's run to the battery, why did we have to do that, it should have came on by it self right ?
I am running the 6.5 Harmon Kardon head unit.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:03 AM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
Wow, wish I'd left it alone now. Sounds like I may be in trouble then. Still not giving up yet, I'll check what I can though. So the amp Diamond amp isn't putting out any amps then ? I thought it was good. We also had to run a wire from the line that goes to the cigarette lighter to get the amp to turn on even though it's run to the battery, why did we have to do that, it should have came on by it self right ?
Don't throw in the towel. The 6.5 system that comes stock on your bike is called a 6.5 Boom Box. Harley designed it to play with their over-priced Boom amps & speakers. Getting it to work with aftermarket components is more challenging but definitely doable. You can educate yourself by reading the following threads:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...ore-bikes.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-rushmore.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...ns-sticky.html - Post #6

The Diamond amp is rated at 80 watts per channel, not amps.

Not knowing how you have everything wired, it's hard to diagnose your problem.

...Does the volume of the front & rear speakers increase & decrease proportionally?

...Can you fade from front to rear with the hand controls and/or the radio screen?

The amp is powered from the battery. It's "triggered" (turned ON) with the 12 volts from the cigarette lighter, which comes "ON" when you turn the ignition switch to ON or Accessory. Some amps are triggered "ON", when they sense an audio signal from the amp, but sometimes that signal is too weak. Always use the "trigger" wire, if available.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
Don't throw in the towel. The 6.5 system that comes stock on your bike is called a 6.5 Boom Box. Harley designed it to play with their over-priced Boom amps & speakers. Getting it to work with aftermarket components is more challenging but definitely doable. You can educate yourself by reading the following threads:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...ore-bikes.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-rushmore.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...ns-sticky.html - Post #6

The Diamond amp is rated at 80 watts per channel, not amps.

Not knowing how you have everything wired, it's hard to diagnose your problem.

...Does the volume of the front & rear speakers increase & decrease proportionally?

...Can you fade from front to rear with the hand controls and/or the radio screen?

The amp is powered from the battery. It's "triggered" (turned ON) with the 12 volts from the cigarette lighter, which comes "ON" when you turn the ignition switch to ON or Accessory. Some amps are triggered "ON", when they sense an audio signal from the amp, but sometimes that signal is too weak. Always use the "trigger" wire, if available.
Sir is there a number I could reach u at ? If so u could pm me, I'd be most grateful!!!

Old 02-25-2017, 12:07 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

Seems all is in default settings on the line levelers, if made some adjustments and it a bit better for sure.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:38 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
It's a good amp if you're running 2 ohm speakers or running it bridged. But as Ranger said. 80 watts @ 4 ohms won't do you any justice. That's why T was saying it's a BAD combo. The amp at 80 watts per channel coupled with the weak Hertz speakers won't cut the mustard.

Quick Reply: Need guidance please on install on a 2014 Limited