Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need guidance please on install on a 2014 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 11:02 AM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tesnevo
What are you using the phone for during this testing, the test tone?
If so DONT, you need to load the test tone on a USB stick and plug directly into the radio.
You can not use an volume adjustable signal source (phone-iPod-etc) to run a test tone unless you know what the optimal DNR/DB/voltage/signal out the signal source is producing in order to match it to the head unit/receiver at its optimal signal output DNR/DB/voltage/signal and volume.
Very ultra high end audio is done the above way with $45,000.00 test equipment designed for that.
The phone apps are good for testing output signal from source units (RTA-DB-SPL-FFT-etc) but should not be used for for the input signal for testing purposes.
So now to the simple way that's accurate;
When the test tone/signal is coming directly from the head unit (USB) , adjust volume at 4 bars from max and get your amp setting/reading that way only.
When I was tuning my amp, several forum members pointed me to various test-tones that I could play through my iPhone via USB cable. There was even some discussion as to what volume the phone should be set at, with the consensus being 3/4.

I used the Tone Generator from the Digital Designs Toolbox app to set my gains.

So do I need to reset the gains on my system using another test tone and a USB stick?

My system sounds great but it appears (from your post) that it's "Close...but no Cigar".

Old 03-04-2017, 02:34 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
When I was tuning my amp, several forum members pointed me to various test-tones that I could play through my iPhone via USB cable. There was even some discussion as to what volume the phone should be set at, with the consensus being 3/4.

I used the Tone Generator from the Digital Designs Toolbox app to set my gains.

So do I need to reset the gains on my system using another test tone and a USB stick?

My system sounds great but it appears (from your post) that it's "Close...but no Cigar".
It's all good brother. The volume that was said to be at 3/4 was to be your head unit.
Your ideal setup is the USB for the gains. For no harder than it is, easily said lol, I'd suggest doing it by USB.
If you leave it the way it is now you have a high probability of your rear fender falling off and both tires going flat.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:00 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tesnevo
It's all good brother. The volume that was said to be at 3/4 was to be your head unit.
Your ideal setup is the USB for the gains. For no harder than it is, easily said lol, I'd suggest doing it by USB.
If you leave it the way it is now you have a high probability of your rear fender falling off and both tires going flat.
Went for a ride this afternoon, stereo blaring and the lenses in my gauges cracked. Definitely going to re-tune via a USB stick. I'll report what, if any changes were needed on the gain settings.

It was suggested that trying the test-tone with my iPhone at 3/4 volume (instead of 100%) might be better, in addition to the head-unit being at 3/4.

I started a new thread about developing a STICKY for setting gains with a DMM. It needs to cover some basics with regard to 2013 and earlier HD radios, aftermarket head units and the Rushmore head units.

I hereby nominate Tesnevo as a candidate for this task, based on his vast knowledge of sound systems and willingness to share it with us who are "technically impaired" at times.

Do I hear a "second" on his nomination?

Old 03-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Second!!!!!

T

Old 03-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 558 Posts

Have you had any conversation with the seller , or did they say anything about your expectations . Looks like they left you high and dry , thankfully you had some great help from here

Dave