Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need guidance please on install on a 2014 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 12:07 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm blushing........from all the praise.

I'm simply trying to Pay It Forward, because of all the help you guys have given me over the years and especially with the new Rushmore Infotainment system.

It's very important to everyone who's updating their system to do some research, lots of research, prior to spending their hard earned dollars. There are lots of companies selling snake-oil out of their wagons, with only a few selling systems & components that are engineered and tested for compatibility. Just because a guy sells you a kick-butt amp and a set of name brand speakers doesn't mean that the end result will be a good sounding system, especially in the world of Scooter Audio.

Folks like Biketronics and Bagger Audio Labs are a real asset to this Forum, constantly sharing their knowledge, not just trying to sell us something.

Biketronics, in my opinion, is #1 when it comes to engineering & building the highest quality, plug & play audio systems for our rides. Their customer service is definitely Top Shelf.

Bagger Audio Labs, once again "in my opinion", is #1 when it comes to finding & real-word testing dozens & dozens of aftermarket components that will work-together to achieve that "next level" sound that's not currently possible with any plug & play system. No snake-oil here.

Am I biased? Yes, because I like it when people know what they're doing, sell a good product (or combination of products) and stand behind what they sell with excellent customer service.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me through the years.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:41 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Default Need you opinon(s)

Here's a recap of what TnHeritage has installed in his 2014 FLHTK:

Hertz ECX 165s (Coaxial)
Hertz EVF 165s (Woofer)
Diamond micro 4v2 amp
BT 355 (F)
Bt 355 (R)

In addition to my tutorial on how to set his system up with test tones and a DMM, he was given this advice:

The amp should be on high pass or the HP mark, the frequency should be around 11:00 or on the F, then turn your bass to 2 marks below half way and treble 1above half. Take the front speakers to 3 marks all the way and adjust sensitivity to it distorts the back it off, do the same to rear.

What say ye members of the Audio Forum?

Old 02-28-2017, 06:12 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
That system will never sound like he wants it to T. He needs a different amp and different speakers. Just not a good match from a components standpoint. He needs a 4 channel amp rated at 150 x 4 Arc, Hertz or Soundstream and some decent speakers.
Yea I'm in agreeance with you on this and would have chose different but he's wanting to keep what he's got unless BAB changes it out for him. I have no dog in that fight nor comment as that's between BAB and him.
I'm only offering to help with what he's got.
That setup can sound decent enough for most folks but obviously "our" ears are a little more subjective to a different sound/end product than what he's got.
Either way TN, my offer to you ,in our original correspondence and our current one, still stands.
Bring it here and I will help you out.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tesnevo
Yea I'm in agreeance with you on this and would have chose different but he's wanting to keep what he's got unless BAB changes it out for him. I have no dog in that fight nor comment as that's between BAB and him.
I'm only offering to help with what he's got.
That setup can sound decent enough for most folks but obviously "our" ears are a little more subjective to a different sound/end product than what he's got.
Either way TN, my offer to you ,in our original correspondence and our current one, still stands.
Bring it here and I will help you out.
That's a generous offer. I'd take him up on it!

Old 03-03-2017, 05:58 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Well I worked on dialing it in last night but not sure I'm keeping the amp, got to sounding pretty good but the interference with the FM reception won't play good for me. Rick had suggested JL audio amp or may need to look at something else as well. Looks like I'll be in the market for an amp and I'll be selling the Diamond amp I have.
I ask Rick and I'm sure he know's what he's talking about for sure but is there anyway to clean up the interference with the reception ?

Old 03-03-2017, 08:14 AM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
Well I worked on dialing it in last night but not sure I'm keeping the amp, got to sounding pretty good but the interference with the FM reception won't play good for me. Rick had suggested JL audio amp or may need to look at something else as well. Looks like I'll be in the market for an amp and I'll be selling the Diamond amp I have.
I ask Rick and I'm sure he know's what he's talking about for sure but is there anyway to clean up the interference with the reception ?

Did you end up setting the gains according to BadAzzBikes's instructions:

The amp should be on high pass or the HP mark, the frequency should be around 11:00 or on the F, then turn your bass to 2 marks below half way and treble 1above half. Take the front speakers to 3 marks all the way and adjust sensitivity to it distorts the back it off, do the same to rear.

or did you follow use the procedure I outlined, with proper head-unit settings, test tone and voltage readings for the gains?

Did you totally lose FM or are you experiencing interference with reception?

You said that the Power & Ground leads were running next to each other in the plastic conduit under the gas tank. Did you separate them?

Even though I didn't lose FM reception using the JL MHX280/4 on my 2014, there's no guarantee you won't lose it on your on your Rushmore. All Class-D amps have the potential of causing FM problems, so my amp may be the exception and not the rule. Hopefully some of the other MHX users will chime in.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:01 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

As most know Rick has been coaching me on dialing the system in and it's actually sounding pretty good but still can't get over the fact I can no longer listen to the radio. Funny how sellers forget to mention this sometimes but thats my fault I guess, I didn't ask. I still can't the thing to read through the amp at 17.8 with the DD tone tester set at mid and 1000, it only reads 8 and it jumps up and down and stays mostly down. I had the volume up all the way on my phone by mistake and the reading on the DD tester was at 5000 and the amp read 25, then I readjusted and it's just not reading like it should imo.
Rick and I was talking and I suggested putting a thin layer of lead between the amp and radio, now this lead is probably around 400g so it's pretty thin, just trying to think of ways to help interference.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:43 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
As most know Rick has been coaching me on dialing the system in and it's actually sounding pretty good but still can't get over the fact I can no longer listen to the radio. Funny how sellers forget to mention this sometimes but thats my fault I guess, I didn't ask. I still can't the thing to read through the amp at 17.8 with the DD tone tester set at mid and 1000, it only reads 8 and it jumps up and down and stays mostly down. I had the volume up all the way on my phone by mistake and the reading on the DD tester was at 5000 and the amp read 25, then I readjusted and it's just not reading like it should imo.
Rick and I was talking and I suggested putting a thin layer of lead between the amp and radio, now this lead is probably around 400g so it's pretty thin, just trying to think of ways to help interference.

What are you using the phone for during this testing, the test tone?
If so DONT, you need to load the test tone on a USB stick and plug directly into the radio.
You can not use an volume adjustable signal source (phone-iPod-etc) to run a test tone unless you know what the optimal DNR/DB/voltage/signal out the signal source is producing in order to match it to the head unit/receiver at its optimal signal output DNR/DB/voltage/signal and volume.
Very ultra high end audio is done the above way with $45,000.00 test equipment designed for that.
The phone apps are good for testing output signal from source units (RTA-DB-SPL-FFT-etc) but should not be used for for the input signal for testing purposes.
So now to the simple way that's accurate;
When the test tone/signal is coming directly from the head unit (USB) , adjust volume at 4 bars from max and get your amp setting/reading that way only.

Last edited by tesnevo; 03-04-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:49 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by tesnevo
What are you using the phone for during this testing, the test tone?
If so DONT, you need to load the test tone on a USB stick and plug directly into the radio.
You can not use an volume adjustable signal source (phone-iPod-etc) to run a test tone unless you know what the optimal DNR/DB/voltage/signal out the signal source is producing in order to match it to the head unit/receiver at its optimal signal output DNR/DB/voltage/signal and volume.
Very ultra high end audio is done the above way with $45,000.00 test equipment designed for that.
The phone apps are good for testing output signal from source units (RTA-DB-SPL-FFT-etc) but should not be used for for the input signal for testing purposes.
So now to the simple way that's accurate;
When the test tone/signal is coming directly from the head unit (USB) , adjust volume at 4 bars from max and get your amp setting/reading that way only.
So just go to DD site and download the TT how on a stick ?

Old 03-04-2017, 08:30 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...-Setting-Guide

There's a 1000Hz test tone at the bottom of this link. Clear your memory stick so this tone is the only tone on it and use this. Its a 2 minute tone that will loop if it's the only thing on the thumb drive.

Quick Reply: Need guidance please on install on a 2014 Limited