Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Road King Audio Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:42 AM
Streetscenes
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another Road King Audio Thread

I'm redoing my 2011 RK this winter and was thinking about adding some tunes. I have a Sena helmet system that I use now with my iPhone. It works pretty good for me so I don't need much. I stay on the backroads 90% of the time when I take a trip....so basically looking for some nice tunes under 50 mph.

My setup would be lower speakers and lids. Some bluetooth amp either in the bags or under the seat. I can fab up 6x9 in the lowers if needed, but I'd rather use whats available (Time constraints mainly).

I have looked at a few threads and have an idea, but want to kick it by you all first. Budget wise id like to stay round the $500 mark

Amps (Under $200)
Soundstream PN4.1000D 1000W 4-Channel Picasso Nano Series Class D Amplifier
Cerwin-Vega B54 Stealth Bomber Class D Amp (b54, 4 Channels, 1,200W)

Speakers ($100)
Infinity Kappa 62.11I 150W 6.5-Inch 2-Way Kappa Series Coaxial Speakers

Rears 6x9
Should I run one or two?

Thanks for the help!

Btw here is the bike as it stands

Old 02-05-2017, 08:55 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetscenes
I'm redoing my 2011 RK this winter and was thinking about adding some tunes. I have a Sena helmet system that I use now with my iPhone. It works pretty good for me so I don't need much. I stay on the backroads 90% of the time when I take a trip....so basically looking for some nice tunes under 50 mph.

My setup would be lower speakers and lids. Some bluetooth amp either in the bags or under the seat. I can fab up 6x9 in the lowers if needed, but I'd rather use whats available (Time constraints mainly).

I have looked at a few threads and have an idea, but want to kick it by you all first. Budget wise id like to stay round the $500 mark

Amps (Under $200)

Speakers ($100)

Rears 6x9
Should I run one or two?

Thanks for the help!

Btw here is the bike as it stands
Are you thinking about purchasing lowers or just talking speakers on the roll bar?
Yes. Definitely need two 6x9's in the lids. From what I can see you're gonna have to increase your budget a few hundred if you want to do right. The Lids alone are anywhere from $2-300 bucks not including paint.

The following users liked this post:
Streetscenes (02-13-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Streetscenes
Cruiser

I'll pickup a set of lowers. I can either get the adaptors for the speakers or fiberglass something in if I have to. Good point on the lids...The range I gave was more for the electronics than anything. I'll handle the paint work. Really I just want a reasonable system but I don't need a stereo that is a parking lot concert machine.

Gannicus...I was looking at your post from earlier to another member. Would this be a good start?

Get these 6x9's:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Fdq6wAoda***hg

Last edited by Streetscenes; 02-05-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:02 AM
Streetscenes
Cruiser

Ok so I have been shopping and I'm clearing going to go over the budget I set. Oh well...What I have so far:

Fairing Lowers
I added fairing lowers with speaker pods that angle up a bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252491126876...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
These are great quality and fit the lowers perfectly. Plus it was way easier than making something.

Need some help with speakers...either of these?
Hertz Audio ECX 165.5 6.5" Energy Series 2-Way Coaxial Speakers

Amps
Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 Punch BRT 300-Watt Ultra Compact 4-Channel Amplifier
Soundstream ST4.1000D Stealth Series 1000W Class D 4-Channel Amplifier

I'd like to have bluetooth but its not a deal breaker.

Rear Setup
So far I have these and will pickup some speaker lids. Should I get a dual lid or will one do it.
Infiniti Kappa 693.11i

Old 02-13-2017, 04:13 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

If you have speaker boxes in the lowers you won't need the adapters from eBay. Those adapters are for mounting speaker in the lower glove boxes. These are what the speaker boxes look like.

With no wind protection form a fairing you will need some very loud speakers if you want to hear them going down the road. Pro Audio is the way to go but would need separate tweeters or horns for highs. Other than in the bags I don't know where else they could be mounted.

The following users liked this post:
Streetscenes (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 06:55 PM
Streetscenes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bertk
If you have speaker boxes in the lowers you won't need the adapters from eBay. Those adapters are for mounting speaker in the lower glove boxes. These are what the speaker boxes look like.

With no wind protection form a fairing you will need some very loud speakers if you want to hear them going down the road. Pro Audio is the way to go but would need separate tweeters or horns for highs. Other than in the bags I don't know where else they could be mounted.
I picked up the lower glovebox ones and will have to add the rings (I thought that I was never going to do a system) Oh well. I'll have a windshield its just not on in the pics. I guess I could do some tweeters in the dash. I was thinking about making a custom one.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Streetscenes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Are you thinking about purchasing lowers or just talking speakers on the roll bar?
Yes. Definitely need two 6x9's in the lids. From what I can see you're gonna have to increase your budget a few hundred if you want to do right. The Lids alone are anywhere from $2-300 bucks not including paint.
I'm slowly finding that I do need up my budget. I reached out to BaggerAudioLabs to check out the Tempesta's

Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

I picked up the lower glovebox ones and will have to add the rings (I thought that I was never going to do a system) Oh well. I'll have a windshield its just not on in the pics. I guess I could do some tweeters in the dash. I was thinking about making a custom one.
If you are going to build your own dash, check out the pics of Bunkers bike with horns molded into the glove boxes. Something to think about if your handy with glass.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:32 AM
Streetscenes
Cruiser

Thanks I will. I was also given a suggestion to put the tweeters in a set of turn signal and mount them to the bar. That also sounds promising.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:35 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

I'm slowly finding that I do need up my budget. I reached out to BaggerAudioLabs to check out the Tempesta's
Great decision!! Lol!

Quick Reply: Another Road King Audio Thread