Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamat Batwing Install - Rushmore

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Right on bro. Just curious what ur thoughts were.
I went all in and am happy with the results. I weigh about 260 completely dry with an updraft, so what's another pound gonna hurt, right.

T

Old 02-09-2017, 08:00 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

You're correct as far as using the various products in an automotive application.

When I was installing the Dynamat in my 2014 batwing I did a very unscientific "tap" test with each piece I installed. When tapping the outer shell of the fairing with my finger, you could definitely hear some resonance. I would add a piece of Dmat and that specific area would respond with a dull "thud". The "un-matted" area, immediately adjacent to the "matted" area would still have some resonance. When I was finished with the Dmat install, there was NO fairing resonance.

The same was true with the inner fairing, so I also added Dmat to it.

Am I happy with the results? Absolutely.

All told, the extra weight added to my "completely covered" fairing was 2 pounds & 9 ounces. If the weight affects my bike's performance, I'll add cams and a big bore kit. lol

Old 02-09-2017, 08:22 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Are u saying that 1 sq ft coverage will deliver the same results that 4 sq ft will?

T.
I bet most ears, myself included, wouldn't be able to hear the difference between 1 sq ft and 4 sq ft coverage.
Me, I'm still glad I went with the full 4 sq ft.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:28 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
I bet most ears, myself included, wouldn't be able to hear the difference between 1 sq ft and 4 sq ft coverage.
Me, I'm still glad I went with the full 4 sq ft.
It depends on what speakers and the amount of power supplying them. Having the Focal KRX2 (2ohm) speaker powered by the BT amp pushing over 300watts the Rushmore outer fairing with the big hole in it (vent) sounded like it was going to shatter into pieces without the Second Skin Damplifier installed. I can assure you I could hear the difference between 1 sq ft and 4.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

If I am going to go through the process of putting sound deadening material on the inside of my fairing I guess I don't know why I'd half *** it and cover only parts of it. What am I trying to save? Time? $6 in Dynamat? a pound of added weight on an 800lb motorcycle?

To each their own but if I'm going to go through the process, it's going to be covered completely.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:11 AM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

First thanks for taking the time to do this. Excellent job! I'd love to be next in line for those stencils and I'll be happy to make a copy and send em down the line! Who wants to send me a set? I gotta get started on this thing before Tailwind and Haze start calling me names again lol!
-FW

Old 04-04-2017, 08:16 AM
nick4737
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatherwayne
First thanks for taking the time to do this. Excellent job! I'd love to be next in line for those stencils and I'll be happy to make a copy and send em down the line! Who wants to send me a set? I gotta get started on this thing before Tailwind and Haze start calling me names again lol!
-FW
i have a set of the stencils right now...if you pm me I will get them out to you

Old 04-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nick4737
i have a set of the stencils right now...if you pm me I will get them out to you
Thanks man. I appreciate it. Your PM is on the way!
-FW

Old 04-04-2017, 08:41 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatherwayne
-FW
Same here. I'd like to use them to make a set for myself and pass them on.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
Same here. I'd like to use them to make a set for myself and pass them on.
If nobody sends you a set before then, I'll send you the set he is sending me next.
-FW

Quick Reply: Dynamat Batwing Install - Rushmore