Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PAC SNI-15 with a PA Razor RZ4-2000D?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:40 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Default PAC SNI-15 with a PA Razor RZ4-2000D?

So I'm helping a buddy from my CVMA Chapter with a small upgrade; replacing the fairing speakers on his 2008 Street Glide and adding the above-mentioned Power Acoustik RZ4-2000D to his factory HK deck. He's just looking for a bit of a boost so he can hear the radio better; the rear channel will likely never be used, but I had the amp laying around, so...

My question is this: I have the PAC SNI-15 so I could wire his HK into the RX4-2000D using the low-level inputs. I have never installed one of these on the HK system, but I've got the BT 355 line-levelers on my '15 Ultra, so I'm guessing the principle must be the same. I would assume that I'd be pulling the factory speaker wires to connect to the PAC SNI-15, plugging that into the RZ4-2000D via the RCA cables and running new speaker wire to the new speakers in the fairing, right? On my '15 Ultra, Biketronics uses the 'breakout' harness so no cutting is necessary- and I don't want to cut into his wiring to add the amp unless I have zero options.

Has anyone used one of these interfaces to wire a PA RZ4-2000D or SS PN4.520D to a 2008 HK head unit? Any issues with doing so, or should I try to locate the high level input harness for the PA amp and just wire it via the high-level inputs? Note, this amp was originally used on my '11 Street Glide with a Jensen HD1BT, so I didn't need the high-level plug...and of course, I can't find that harness right now!

Just looking for info on whether the PAC SNI-15 interface will work well with the PA amp. The device actually came with my BT4180 kit but I never installed the BT4180 with the HK head unit. I don't believe Biketronics did anything particularly special to the PAC units they included in the BT4180 kits, but I am not sure, hence my question.

If some of the audio gurus here could chime in, that would be great!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

if it's pre-Rushmore it should just be a plain PAC SNI-15 and it's job is just to convert high level to low level (your BT355 do the same PLUS filter the Rushmore 24db boost and give you a little more adjustability)

I don't know on the cutting of the harness, not familiar with pre Rushmore.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:05 AM
CVOJOE
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

On pre-rushmore you do not need to cut the harness. Just match the spade connectors of the factory speaker wires and build a jumper speaker wire with matched spade connectors on one end and tie into the appropriate + or- wire on the pac-sni 15 with the other end. Run a set of RCA connectors from the pac-sni 15 to your amp. Run your new speaker wires from the amp to the new speakers and your good to go

Old 01-18-2017, 09:04 AM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I guess that I'm not as averse as everyone else about cutting the factory harness

On my 2015 I wanted everything hard wired and soldered to prevent any future gremlins. I did cut my factory harness, but kept enough length on the pig tail that I could re-solder and shrink tube everything back to stock if ever needed.

Of course that won't alleviate any warranty issues in the future, but I figured what the hell. I'd only have to worry about it for two years and then the warranty would be over any way.

Only six months left to go. No issues so far.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:34 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I was just concerned about getting some input on the PAC SNI-15 working well with a PA amp vs. the Biketronics- but I probably answered myself on that when I suggested they weren't "tweaked" by BT (despite being included in the 'pre-Rushmore' BT4180 kits). It's simply a high to low level conversion regardless of the amp I'm running. That means I don't have to tear apart my house trying to find the high-level input harness that came with the RZ4.2000D!

And as CVOJOE mentioned, I was picturing the install correctly: pull the factory speaker wires, run them to the SNI-15's connectors, hook the SNI-15 to the amp with RCAs and run new speaker wire to the new 6.5" speakers.

Thanks for the responses fellas!