Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lids and Lowers Again....Sorry

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 03:03 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Lids and Lowers Again....Sorry

Ok......sitting around today watching the games and trolling the internet for lids and lowers has me wondering a few things.

I have decided I will be trying the Hogtunes lowers with the shallow mount Hertz EV 165's. Was able to get the boys at Hogtunes to actually come off some measurements and I'm planning to give them a go.

I still keep coming back to lids for some dang reason, don't shoot the messenger. What I'm wondering here is should I look at CVO lids and run a 5x7", like a JL 570 or other brand. Or, should I try a Hogtunes lid with a 6x9" like the Hertz or some other speakers.

Next question is amp/s. I'm going to pay it forward on the 4180 to my FIL for his bike and will be going most likely with the 800.4. Currently, it was suggested to run the 800.4 for my front stage and the parallel the lowers and pod speaks. Now that my mind is spinning on the lids again, would you parallel the amp for all or is best for 2 amps? I've tossed around the idea of 2 amps anyways but not sure which ones to look at.....Micro 2 or 4 or another brand?

I do appreciate all the advice and help you guys offer......Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Blue Tick; 12-31-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:46 PM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Tick
Ok......sitting around today watching the games and trolling the internet for lids and lowers has me wondering a few things.

I have decided I will be trying the Hogtunes lowers with the shallow mount Hertz EV 165's. Was able to get the boys at Hogtunes to actually come off some measurements and I'm planning to give them a go.

I still keep coming back to lids for some dang reason, don't shoot the messenger. What I'm wondering here is should I look at CVO lids and run a 5x7", like a JL 570 or other brand. Or, should I try a Hogtunes lid with a 6x9" like the Hertz or some other speakers.

Next question is amp/s. I'm going to pay it forward on the 4180 to my FIL for his bike and will be going most likely with the 800.4. Currently, it was suggested to run the 800.4 for my front stage and the parallel the lowers and pod speaks. Now that my mind is spinning on the lids again, would you parallel the amp for all or is best for 2 amps? I've tossed around the idea of 2 amps anyways but not sure which ones to look at.....Micro 2 or 4 or another brand?

I do appreciate all the advice and help you guys offer......Thanks in advance!
6x9's will give you more low end than a 5x7 - always. I prefer the CVO lids mainly for aesthetic reasons but also for fitment and factory paint reasons. To use 6x9's with those lids you will need to cut the baskets and use the v-twin audio 5x7 to 6x9 adapters. Hog tunes lids are fine just not my preference. The speaker options are endless but in the interest of water tightness I like a speak that has a solid cone and a floating tweeter (something like the Biketronics BT479). Many, many, many people go with the PIONEER ts6900 pros and some hydrophobic cloth because it's bass is outstanding. Others go more extreme but it's all just a matter of preference.

As far as the amps...I prefer to give each of my speaks their own channel so I would personally go with 2 amps but lots of guys are fine with paralleling lowers and rears. It all depends on what speakers you choose, whether you might want to add more speaks later and adding the right amp for those speakers ave that situation. Determine what you want sound wise and built to your system around that idea. Fairing speaks are the foundation on which your house of sound is built.Chase your desired sound not any brand. There really isn't one perfect amp for all scenarios. Haze, (aka Bagger Audio Lab) is a sponsor here and has some great amp and speaker ideas . Hit him up and he'll set you up for success. BAB (Bad Azz Bikes) is also a sponsor and can help guide you. Good luck. EnjoyI your build and enjoy the journey. Congrats on catching the "fever"
FW-

Old 01-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fatherwayne
6x9's will give you more low end than a 5x7 - always. I prefer the CVO lids mainly for aesthetic reasons but also for fitment and factory paint reasons. To use 6x9's with those lids you will need to cut the baskets and use the v-twin audio 5x7 to 6x9 adapters. Hog tunes lids are fine just not my preference. The speaker options are endless but in the interest of water tightness I like a speak that has a solid cone and a floating tweeter (something like the Biketronics BT479). Many, many, many people go with the PIONEER ts6900 pros and some hydrophobic cloth because it's bass is outstanding. Others go more extreme but it's all just a matter of preference.

As far as the amps...I prefer to give each of my speaks their own channel so I would personally go with 2 amps but lots of guys are fine with paralleling lowers and rears. It all depends on what speakers you choose, whether you might want to add more speaks later and adding the right amp for those speakers ave that situation. Determine what you want sound wise and built to your system around that idea. Fairing speaks are the foundation on which your house of sound is built.Chase your desired sound not any brand. There really isn't one perfect amp for all scenarios. Haze, (aka Bagger Audio Lab) is a sponsor here and has some great amp and speaker ideas . Hit him up and he'll set you up for success. BAB (Bad Azz Bikes) is also a sponsor and can help guide you. Good luck. EnjoyI your build and enjoy the journey. Congrats on catching the "fever"
FW-
Fatherwayne, thanks for your response. Will the BT 479's fit in the CVO bags? I was under the impression that with the BT 6x9's there was a minor fitment issue. Water tightness is definitely a priority for me, as we do travel a lot on the bike.

Which amps would you suggest taking a look at? Like I said, right now, I'm leaning to a 800.4 for what I currently have. I'm debating the idea of paralleling that amp when I do add the lower pods. If I for sure decide on the lids, I would definitely prefer a 2nd amp. Preferably being able to house both of them in the fairing. I won't give up bag room.

I have talked with Haze a bit on his setups and prefer BAB. They are a 2 hour ride away for me.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:52 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

You missed a nice ride to Yankee's and Drifters today

Old 01-01-2017, 09:27 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraWalt
You missed a nice ride to Yankee's and Drifters today
I don't remember a phone call or text. I didn't roll in till after 9am anyways. Very long busy night last night.

The following users liked this post:
old v twin (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 09:55 PM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain

Fatherwayne, thanks for your response. Will the BT 479's fit in the CVO bags? I was under the impression that with the BT 6x9's there was a minor fitment issue. Water tightness is definitely a priority for me, as we do travel a lot on the bike.

Which amps would you suggest taking a look at? Like I said, right now, I'm leaning to a 800.4 for what I currently have. I'm debating the idea of paralleling that amp when I do add the lower pods. If I for sure decide on the lids, I would definitely prefer a 2nd amp. Preferably being able to house both of them in the fairing. I won't give up bag room.

I have talked with Haze a bit on his setups and prefer BAB. They are a 2 hour ride away for me.
Very welcome bro. I have read several people say that the BT479 doesn't fit on the 14&up lids but I just saw my friends bike with them on there and they fit fine. Some people are reporting that the corner of the speaker cage touches on the bag when it opens but that you can flex it just a little and then it clears. Other people say that like my buddy they have no issues at all. I spoke to Biketronics about it they have gotten the same feedback. Some have trouble, some don't. They are going to focus on changing the clearance a tiny bit to accommodate the variance during this winter. My guess is that the flexibility of the saddlebags themselves is what causes the issue sometimes because they are never "exactly" the same dimensions. I have no problem manipulating the bag a gnats caboose to clear until the solution is available. Not if I know my laptop and cell will remain completely dry.

As far as a 4 channel amp. Even all the tried and true amps have different characteristics. Different levels of power, warmth and clarity that distinguish them as the better choice for a given application. Gannicus has literally tried every amp that will fit in any crack or crevice on a Harley Davidson. I don't wanna speak for him but maybe once you decide on the speakers and post them here he will chime in and tell you what has worked best for him. He's great about helping people choose the right one. There are so many knowledgeable guys here willing to help. Just let us know what sound you're after and they will help.

As far as the 2nd amp and fitting it in the fairing... Tailwind told me about an NVX MPA4 that is very small. He has had great results with it, it will fit in the fairing and I am going to incorporate it into my build.. He is a wealth of knowledge and has a killer sounding sled to boot!
So.. Let em know what sound your after and let's see what the boys come up with!
-FW

Last edited by Fatherwayne; 01-01-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master

Hogtunes lowers, Hertz shallow mounts and 800.4 amp ordered and all on the way. Should seen them by Thursday.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain

Hogtunes lowers, Hertz shallow mounts and 800.4 amp ordered and all on the way. Should seen them by Thursday.
Cool!

Old 01-02-2017, 11:01 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

Looking forward to the outcome