Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a little more

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:23 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Changing out the head unit would be the best move.
It will give you better sound quality ,better control of the sound you are going for.
There is a complete install kit for 13 and down HDs that include handlebar interface mounts and splash shield for around $225 on a amazon right now.
Is that just the install kit or is that head unit and all? and which head unit are you talking about?

Old 12-23-2016, 07:29 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Softy 103
Is that just the install kit or is that head unit and all? and which head unit are you talking about?
It is the complete install including head unit.
The Kenwood d765bt is the one I just ordered
Want a little more-screenshot_2016-12-23-19-30-39.png

Last edited by Babyboy; 12-23-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:45 PM
Softy 103
Banned

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Changing the head unit in your system will make a huge difference Softy! Many more options on an aftermarket HU. Nothing wrong with the Alpine. Having heard and set up all three. Personally I prefer the Sony and Kenwood units for sound. A lot of guys like the Alpine. Specifically with my set up's I couldn't get any good bass out of the Alpine and I like bass in my music. That said. The biggest improvement you can make in your set up is changing the PBR amp.

The PBR is Okay for what it is. But there are much better amps out there for our bikes. Take a look at the JL MHX280/4

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0QAyn6J...-MHX280-4.html
So are you recommending that I change the head unit & the amp or just the amp

Old 12-23-2016, 08:05 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

So are you recommending that I change the head unit & the amp or just the amp
Both would be improvements. From what I've read on here the PBR is a great budget amp at 2 ohms and swapping out the old stock radio will probably give you the biggest difference in sound with what you have.

As you know, if Gann reccomendations it its because he has used it in his bike and knows it will work for what you bare looking to do.

Good luck.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:25 AM
Softy 103
Banned

If I decide to do a different head unit and or amp, is there anybody on here that can take a dumb person step by step through the installation process? I did the PBR amp and Infinity speakers my self, but there was a sticky on here just for that specific set up, right down to what color wires went where, I mean it was foolproof. If I tell you the components I end up with, is that possible again

Old 12-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

If I decide to do a different head unit and or amp, is there anybody on here that can take a dumb person step by step through the installation process? I did the PBR amp and Infinity speakers my self, but there was a sticky on here just for that specific set up, right down to what color wires went where, I mean it was foolproof. If I tell you the components I end up with, is that possible again
There's always someone here to help. Go for it!!! You will be amazed at the difference in SQ by upgrading the HU and amp.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:13 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

Yup, what Bert said. Most of the guys here if they aren't messing with their bikes the next best thing is talking about audio and helping guys out.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Softy 103
Banned

Ok so I have been doing a lot of reading here, Do I have anything to build on with my PBR 300x2 amp, and my infinity Kappas? I was looking for suggestions for a different head unit to go along with what I have, but I hear the amp is a decent amp, then the next guy says to upgrade the amp and the head unit, then i read well there are better speaker choices in that same price range. I'm so confused I could just THROW-UP.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Ok so I have been doing a lot of reading here, Do I have anything to build on with my PBR 300x2 amp, and my infinity Kappas? I was looking for suggestions for a different head unit to go along with what I have, but I hear the amp is a decent amp, then the next guy says to upgrade the amp and the head unit, then i read well there are better speaker choices in that same price range. I'm so confused I could just THROW-UP.
One reason for all the opinions is that a lot of us have had the same setup at one point in time and have moved on. The PBR has been a very popular amp for those that want to retain FM and keep the budget down. There's absolutely nothing wrong with replacing the stock HU and keeping the amp and speakers. Take it one step at a time. It all comes down to how well it satisfies your ears.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:34 PM
Softy 103
Banned

Lets try this again, If I were to go with the newest version of the Aquatic AV head unit and kept my PBR 300X2, is there a better way to go on speakers than my Kappa's? My Kappas don't have much for bass, some say that is the nature of them. any suggestions for speakers with better bass or will it matter if I keep the same amp with the new head unit. Sorry I keep asking ?s but really want a better system with out having to replace everything.

Quick Reply: Want a little more