Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade to audio system

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 05:36 PM
canible
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade to audio system

Hi guys. I am thinkingabout upgrading my audio system on my 07 ultra. I have the standard system that came on the 07 ultra with the exception of the amp that i had installed when I purchased the bike new. I beleive it is a 140 watt amp that was installed under the tourpac. Any way I was thinking about some arc 602 speakers and i was wondering if I need to upgrade the amp also. I know very little about speakers and such and want the best bang for my buck. Thanks for your input in advance and Merry Christmas to all

Old 12-22-2016, 09:42 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by canible
Hi guys. I am thinkingabout upgrading my audio system on my 07 ultra. I have the standard system that came on the 07 ultra with the exception of the amp that i had installed when I purchased the bike new. I beleive it is a 140 watt amp that was installed under the tourpac. Any way I was thinking about some arc 602 speakers and i was wondering if I need to upgrade the amp also. I know very little about speakers and such and want the best bang for my buck. Thanks for your input in advance and Merry Christmas to all
If you are referring to the Arc Moto 602's they are power hungry speakers and a 140w amp would never run them. Will need the make and model of the amp if you plan on keeping it? Is there another amp installed under the fairing?

Here are some more questions so that we can better help you.
What's your budget?
Current radio installed and do you plan on upgrading it to aftermarket?
Do you plan on upgrading just the two fairing speakers or the tourpak speakers also?
Is FM reception important?
Do you plan on doing the install yourself?
And finely, what are your expectations from this upgarde?

Old 12-23-2016, 07:00 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,241 Posts

removed....

Last edited by Goose_NC; 12-25-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:30 PM
canible
Novice
Smile Amps

Looking at a rockford fosgate 300 amp for my ultra to replace the 140 that was installed on it when it was new. Is rhat enough power and will the charging system handle it

Old 12-23-2016, 07:03 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Looking at a rockford fosgate 300 amp for my ultra to replace the 140 that was installed on it when it was new. Is rhat enough power and will the charging system handle it
If you are referring to the PBR300X2 then no, it will not work with the 602's. Without more information a recommendation can not be made.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:41 PM
canible
Novice
Smile Audio system

What I am looking for is replacing the amp and all 4 Speakers with a beter setup. I also want to make sure the charging system will handle it. Im looking st spending around 1000. I sldp would like to keep the stock harman setup that came in my ultra Hope this helps

Old 12-23-2016, 07:43 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
I'll chime in for me.

Fo my 2002 FLHTCUI stock audio system.
What's your budget? $800 I think is reasonable.

Current radio installed and do you plan on upgrading it to aftermarket? Yes

Do you plan on upgrading just the two fairing speakers or the tourpak speakers also? All 4 speakers

Is FM reception important? No

Do you plan on doing the install yourself? Yes. I am a very good mechanic and understand electronics, wiring and such.

And finely, what are your expectations from this upgrade? I am a touring rider and take 3-4 long trips a year, along with several 1000 mile weekends. I like to be able to hear the tunes from my Garmin 665, which has the satellite receiver with it. I like the ability to have GPS directions over the radio. Not opposed to changing satellite receivers. I do use the CB on occasion with my GoldWing friends, but that is via headset.

I just got back on another Harley, and had a nice J&M setup on my 1989 in the 1990's. But so much has changed since then.
Yes $800 is a good budget.

Unfortunately replacing the stock radio you will lose the stock CB and intercom functions.

Most new radios are Bluetooth ready as is your Garmin 665. And most are XM ready with an optional XM module.
So there are a couple of decisions to make before moving forward without losing any of these functions.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:11 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
I'll chime in for me.

Fo my 2002 FLHTCUI stock audio system.
What's your budget? $800 I think is reasonable.

Current radio installed and do you plan on upgrading it to aftermarket? Yes

Do you plan on upgrading just the two fairing speakers or the tourpak speakers also? All 4 speakers

Is FM reception important? No

Do you plan on doing the install yourself? Yes. I am a very good mechanic and understand electronics, wiring and such.

And finely, what are your expectations from this upgrade? I am a touring rider and take 3-4 long trips a year, along with several 1000 mile weekends. I like to be able to hear the tunes from my Garmin 665, which has the satellite receiver with it. I like the ability to have GPS directions over the radio. Not opposed to changing satellite receivers. I do use the CB on occasion with my GoldWing friends, but that is via headset.

I just got back on another Harley, and had a nice J&M setup on my 1989 in the 1990's. But so much has changed since then.
Goose you should really start your own thread with your questions instead of stepping on Canibles. Things can get confusing real quick when trying to help more than one person with questions in a thread.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:21 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

What I am looking for is replacing the amp and all 4 Speakers with a beter setup. I also want to make sure the charging system will handle it. Im looking st spending around 1000. I sldp would like to keep the stock harman setup that came in my ultra Hope this helps
What kind of music do you listen to and do you want it loud and clear at 80mph or decently loud with a warmer/bassier sound?

This will help the guys nail it down for ya. $1000 is a good amount to work with.

I may be biased since I have a few things for sale, but the classifieds can be your friend here and I always reccomend asking the more knowledgeable guys here if the stuff on there will work for your goal.

Good luck bro

Last edited by matt76cmich; 12-23-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:34 PM
canible
Novice
Default Audio upgrade

Loud and clear crusin about 80 pretty much hits it on the head but I want it to sound good also. Guess I want it all

Quick Reply: Upgrade to audio system