Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony xav ax100

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by BaddAzzBikes
what is your definition of full functionality t?
Man, that's a fairly long list for each individual but as u stated the radio functions like volume, next, previous etc. to include song, album, playlist, artist search. But you will find that the crowd that tours a bit uses the hell out of the nav controls, mainly zoom in and out feature and a few others.

My riding posse has a mission to hit every damn back road and dive bar on US soil so we use the hell out of our NAV, regardless of how outdated it might be as them roads have been around and in the database for a while.

Have not taken a detailed look at the HU ur tinkering with so it may very well have auto zoom, etc.

Just no small ball here bro!!! We want home runs man!!! Take ur time!!!

T.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:00 PM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor
Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I get it completely. I can tell you that this does not have built in Nav. It will use the Andriod auto or Apple play to basically screen mirror your nav from your phone. This is a feature I have yet to be able to test but hope to soon. As of right now I do not have a ubs stick loaded with music to test the search features on mp3s (if someone wants to mail me one to use I will gladly try it out). Currently with the axxes module the right joystick button does ot function like it should....so that module is out and the scosche module is up next...also going in tonight hopefully....I think you may be right when you say for the 6.5 guys this may not do what they want but the 4.3 guys may vary well be all over it...time will tell......That is IF and that's that biggie....through testing it does what its supposed to do lol.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by BaddAzzBikes
I get it completely. I can tell you that this does not have built in Nav. It will use the Andriod auto or Apple play to basically screen mirror your nav from your phone. This is a feature I have yet to be able to test but hope to soon. As of right now I do not have a ubs stick loaded with music to test the search features on mp3s (if someone wants to mail me one to use I will gladly try it out). Currently with the axxes module the right joystick button does ot function like it should....so that module is out and the scosche module is up next...also going in tonight hopefully....I think you may be right when you say for the 6.5 guys this may not do what they want but the 4.3 guys may vary well be all over it...time will tell......That is IF and that's that biggie....through testing it does what its supposed to do lol.
Appreciate u investing your time into this bro!!!

T

Old 01-04-2017, 02:15 PM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor

Hey you may think I just sell this stuff but trust me when I say I have been drooling and waiting for a replacement to the stock radio just like all of you lol.....I love the stuff it is my passion so I have absolutely no problem investing time to make sure it will do what its supposed to do before I tell you hey here's what you have been looking for!!!! lol its only right.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:32 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

here's what you NEED to be able to do with hand controls imo

Volume Up/Down
Input Selection (FM/USB/etc)
Mute is nice
Here's the deal breaker (and why I ditched the Sony MEX) song search by artist and/or album.

I've gone back to the 4.3 because I just can't find a search function that works like the stocker. I don't care about GPS, well I do but the 6.5 sucks at it so going back to a 6.5 is a waste for me. I'd rather use my phone until a suitable GPS comes along.

The Sony MEX SUCKS for finding songs.

The Kenwood 998 is ok but I still need to hit the unit itself to get to the root folders. Once I'm in a folder searching is ok.

Stock I can use the handlebars to search by song, artist, album and all alphabetically if I choose. It just works better than anything else and never a need to actually touch the unit, it can all be done through the handlebar controls.

Find me a unit that does a search this well AND has separate HPF filters and I'm sold. Until then, I'm slumming it with a 4.3 (which I only paid $100 shipped )

Old 01-04-2017, 02:39 PM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor

I don't care how hard you look that unit doesn't exist lol....At least not one that wont require serious modification and or a price tag of 2k +.....As far as separate HPF this unit mirrors the sony. It has HPF filters for both front and rear together...you can not separately adjust the front and rear. You will have to make some compromises unfortunately but that's the name of the game....what's more important to you lol. From what you said is a deal breaker for you I doubt you will be interested in this unit because I don't predict it to be any different from the sony mex on searching...however you never know...I still have to test it when I get a usb stick. I like easy stuff....like Bluetooth, Spotify, and go lol

Old 01-05-2017, 02:57 PM
coolbrys
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to let you guys know that you can indeed just run the parking brake wire to a ground. I put this unit into my car this weekend, and when wiring I put the Sony ground to my chassis and then wired the parking brake into the provided ground from my wire harness. I know mine is a car, but just wanted to give you guys that information.

Last edited by coolbrys; 01-05-2017 at 02:57 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Old 01-05-2017, 03:00 PM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor

^^^ 100 percent correct. I had bad info before. I just grounded the wire and got it all working. Now for the fun part of testing everything out.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:25 PM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor

Ok so quick update from what I see so far.

Search functions for music are very easy to navigate but you can NOT use the hand controls to navigate the menu options. It must be done from the radio it self. This is not due to the handcontrol module but actually the limitations of the radio it self. I went to a scosche module and manually assigned what I wanted each button to do.

LEFT joystick:
Push in - source selection
right toggle - skip forward
left toggle - skip back
up toggle - volume up
down toggle - volume down

Left ( looks like guy talking button) - Phone call hang up
Right (old info button) - call answer

Right joystick:
push in - play/pause

Because of the radio there are no other functions that can be assigned.

Android Auto:
The navigation option on this is pretty cool. You can operation the nav off your phone from the head unit and see it displayed while having the option to change songs and so forth from what ever source you are using (even switch from Spotify to google play or Pandora...i don't have mp3s on my phone so I couldn't check that.) But again the only functions while using Android auto you can control from the had controls are the ones stated above. Any navigation of the menus must be done from the radio its self. Testing is still going on but at this point unless you guys have anything specific you want me to check I am just enjoying the radio lol.

I forgot to add even when not using android auto the hand control functions are the same as listed. That is all the radio itself is capable of doing

Last edited by BaddAzzBikes; 01-05-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:36 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

Not sure how I feel about using the search function on the radio itself (taking eyes off the road to touch the screen) while going 60-70mph down the road, or any speed for that matter. Sounds like I'll be sticking with my handlebar control search function of my 6.5 stock HU. DSP it is.

Definitely appreciate all the work you are putting into this though. I know it takes time, patience, and skill to do this.

Quick Reply: Sony xav ax100