Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting a bt355 line leveler

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Outkast6991
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Adjusting a bt355 line leveler

i know this is a mixed review as far as wether to leave it alone or adjust it for possibly fuller sound. I just got mine back from Mike after sending it in for a static issue. While it was gone I bypassed my amp so I would still have music. Just the 6.5 HU to the hcx 6.5's. While I obviously lost all volume the overall sound was much fuller and actually sounded pretty good. Today I put the LL back in and wire the amp back up. Just as it came back from BT it was noticeably lacking any fullness. I decided to check the output from the LL. The HU was 3 clicks from full, bass+treble flat, and running a 1000hz tone through the USB using my phone. What I found was both sides at .5vac. If I adjusted the gain on the LL all the way up I got 1.9vac. I decided to try 1.5vac on both sides which is about 2 o'clock on the gain. I then set the amp (bridged cv b54) to 24vac. Tested it out and still hollow sounding. So I tried to adjust the hpf on the LL. One of the hpf ***** is VERY sensitive and does add bass to it, the other didn't seem to do anything. The amp is on all pass. My questions are

is there a proper way to set the LL for a richer sound?

is it normal for one hpf **** to be so sensitive and the other to do almost nothing?

the setup is stock 6.5, bridged b54, hcx6.5 on bt brackets. Amp is in 2 channel mode as well. Thanks for any help

Old 12-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Outkast6991
is there a proper way to set the LL for a richer sound?

is it normal for one hpf **** to be so sensitive and the other to do almost nothing?

yes but it's really hard to get it right. I had mine set really high, I think at one point I was at or over 2 volts out (I posted all my results but no idea how far down their buried). I want to say that around 1.7 volts worked out best for me with a TM400x4 bridged to a set of 602's and the HPF's in the stock location from BT. Amp was set to all pass.

I'm actually about to play around with the HPF on one for the first time, not sure when I'll get to it though but I will be posting results with a CC-1

Old 12-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Outkast6991
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bunker
yes but it's really hard to get it right. I had mine set really high, I think at one point I was at or over 2 volts out (I posted all my results but no idea how far down their buried). I want to say that around 1.7 volts worked out best for me with a TM400x4 bridged to a set of 602's and the HPF's in the stock location from BT. Amp was set to all pass.

I'm actually about to play around with the HPF on one for the first time, not sure when I'll get to it though but I will be posting results with a CC-1
thanks for the info. I'll be looking for your results for sure. I thought that each side of the LL had its own hpf **** but it doesn't appear that way. I'm kinda lost on why one is so touchy and the other does nothing

Old 12-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Outkast6991
Road Master

Also I'm not sure why but I can't get to 2vac even with the gain maxed out

Old 12-11-2016, 07:42 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Outkast6991
thanks for the info. I'll be looking for your results for sure. I thought that each side of the LL had its own hpf **** but it doesn't appear that way. I'm kinda lost on why one is so touchy and the other does nothing
I think the hpf are supposed to be for each side. How is your amp wired on inputs? If you use 2 inputs it mixes when you bridge. On my B54 it seemed if I fed front and rear inputs with the switch on 4 it sounded better and the LL was separate per speaker. I used one side of the LL to front channel, other to rear using y splitters.

Last edited by InthewindMN; 12-11-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Outkast6991
Road Master

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
I think the hpf are supposed to be for each side. How is your amp wired on inputs? If you use 2 inputs it mixes when you bridge. On my B54 it seemed if I fed front and rear inputs with the switch on 4 it sounded better and the LL was separate per speaker. I used one side of the LL to front channel, other to rear using y splitters.
i was actually wired that way but found I had a bad male/male adapter so I had to just feed the front input and run it as 2 channel

Old 12-12-2016, 12:29 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

I'll be interested your findings before and after making the adjustments. I'm sure by now you know that changing the HPF will affect the output VAC and visa versa. It turns into a balancing act.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:09 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Bunker what are you trying to achieve with the CC-1 and the LL......What setting sounds best or just generally knowing what the LL is set to? I had a CC-1 and ended up never using it. Let's say I used the CC to set it right at 80hz but that wasn't enough lows, I'd then try a lower freq, but ultimately I was picking the setting that sounded best to me. I didn't need a number to let me know that.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:57 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Bunker what are you trying to achieve with the CC-1 and the LL......What setting sounds best or just generally knowing what the LL is set to? I had a CC-1 and ended up never using it. Let's say I used the CC to set it right at 80hz but that wasn't enough lows, I'd then try a lower freq, but ultimately I was picking the setting that sounded best to me. I didn't need a number to let me know that.
truthfully? it's my OCD kicking in and i just want to know. I have them set at stock right now and they don't sound bad but they don't sound like they did when I had the 998 in and had the HPF and slope set.

I want to just play around and see what the numbers look like, it's so much easier with a head unit that you can just adjust as you see fit. If it wasn't so damn easy to navigate through my songs I'd chuck this 4.3 in a heartbeat.

Just trying to solve the impossible, hopefully stumble across something that will elevate my status

Seriously though, just need to have something I can survive until springtime. I just can't leave well enough alone, never could :/

Old 12-12-2016, 08:51 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Ha ha ha!!! That's what I figured man.

Just trying to manage your expectation, but I feel ya man. Gotta get your fix! Post up the results.

Quick Reply: Adjusting a bt355 line leveler