Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wondering If I Should Keep My Amp

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Wondering If I Should Keep My Amp

Gannicus, SBates, Ultra Nutz, and a few others --- you've all helped me out in the past with a few things. I'm the guy with the JL Audio speakers, and a JL Audio amp in the tourpak. About a month ago, I got hit by a car turning left in front of me. (Not hurt except for a sore right foot for awhile. I was lucky.) Ended up getting a new 16 Limited, but I pulled the fairing JL speakers, and got the amp out of the tourpak before the ins co saw the bike. I've decided that my customizing days are over. No stretched bags & fender, no more $3K stereos. It was fun for awhile, but I'm over it!

Anyway, the Boom stock system is actually not too bad at all. It'll work for me. Are those speakers good enough to be able to take the power of that JL Audio amp? I'm considering keeping the amp, and also considering selling it, and just leaving well enough alone. Will the quality be that much better with that amp? Leaning toward selling 2 JL speakers & the amp, and just leaving everything alone.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:13 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Sorry to tell you Jim but those Boom speakers won't handle that amp. You'd think they'd get their act together where this audio is concerned but instead they only made it harder and much costlier for the average guy to have a good sounding system. Personally I'd hold on to the amp. I have a feeling you will outgrow the Boom system rather quickly.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Gannicus, SBates, Ultra Nutz, and a few others --- you've all helped me out in the past with a few things. I'm the guy with the JL Audio speakers, and a JL Audio amp in the tourpak. About a month ago, I got hit by a car turning left in front of me. (Not hurt except for a sore right foot for awhile. I was lucky.) Ended up getting a new 16 Limited, but I pulled the fairing JL speakers, and got the amp out of the tourpak before the ins co saw the bike. I've decided that my customizing days are over. No stretched bags & fender, no more $3K stereos. It was fun for awhile, but I'm over it!

Anyway, the Boom stock system is actually not too bad at all. It'll work for me. Are those speakers good enough to be able to take the power of that JL Audio amp? I'm considering keeping the amp, and also considering selling it, and just leaving well enough alone. Will the quality be that much better with that amp? Leaning toward selling 2 JL speakers & the amp, and just leaving everything alone.
If the boom system sounds good to you bro. I'd let it be.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:58 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Thanks guys. Not saying that it sounds "great", or the best system I ever had, but it's actually not bad at all. (I usually crank it up only when I'm by myself. I think that JL system could've been annoying after awhile, to the people who were behind me. You can hear noise, but can't tell what tune's playing.) I've had a couple of bites on the speakers & amp, but nobody said "I'll take 'em" yet. Maybe I'll just hang on to them for awhile. If I ever decide that the Boom isn't cuttin' it, then I'll already own a couple of nice JL C3 650cw speakers, and a nice amp. If I'm OK with the Boom, I'll try to sell 'em again after I get back out in the spring, and listen to it a little more.

Last edited by Geezr Glidr; 11-21-2016 at 01:05 PM.