Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power and ground connection for 2 amps

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 03:50 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Power and ground connection for 2 amps question

I am getting ready to install 2 amps in the fairing of my Rushmore SG, an Arc 600.4 and an NVX MVPA4. My question is would I be better off putting distribution blocks close to the battery and runnig the 4 wires to the fairing or running single 4 ga wires to the fairing and splitting to 2 8ga each for power and ground? Maybe I am over thinking it and it doesn't make a difference either way but I'd like to know for sure before I do it incorrectly. SF

Last edited by Springerfan; 11-20-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:31 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Springerfan
I am getting ready to install 2 amps in the fairing of my Rushmore SG, an Arc 600.4 and an NVX MVPA4. My question is would I be better off putting distribution blocks close to the battery and runnig the 4 wires to the fairing or running single 4 ga wires to the fairing and splitting to 2 8ga each for power and ground? Maybe I am over thinking it and it doesn't make a difference either way but I'd like to know for sure before I do it incorrectly. SF
Not over thinking at all. This is important. I just got through do this on the 08 SG. I used two 4ga wires from the battery to the fairing. The positive is fused at the battery. Then used a fused distribution block to go from the 4ga to two 8ga wires. And used a ground block that goes from 4ga to four 8ga wires.
You can also go with four 8ga wires. A lot depends on what will fit the best.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:46 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Bert. So if both amps recommend a 30a fuse would I use a 30a or a 60a at the battery along with the 2 30a at the distribution block?

The following users liked this post:
old v twin (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 07:09 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Springerfan
Thanks Bert. So if both amps recommend a 30a fuse would I use a 30a or a 60a at the battery along with the 2 30a at the distribution block?
If you go from a 4ga to a 8ga you would use a 60 amp fuse at the battery and a 30 amp fuse to each amplifier at the distribution fuse block. I'll post some pics in a little later.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:05 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Here's a pic of the fused power distribution block and the ground block.

Attached Thumbnails Power and ground connection for 2 amps-fuse-block.jpg   Power and ground connection for 2 amps-ground-block.jpg  
Old 11-22-2016, 08:26 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
Not over thinking at all. This is important. I just got through do this on the 08 SG. I used two 4ga wires from the battery to the fairing. The positive is fused at the battery. Then used a fused distribution block to go from the 4ga to two 8ga wires. And used a ground block that goes from 4ga to four 8ga wires.
You can also go with four 8ga wires. A lot depends on what will fit the best.
This is exactly what I did too, I actually had 3 power and ground out of my blocks (fused on the power block). Each amp had a fused power and a ground feed, the Sony MEX-M100BT head unit had it's own fused power and a ground for the power pack it uses.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bunker
This is exactly what I did too, I actually had 3 power and ground out of my blocks (fused on the power block). Each amp had a fused power and a ground feed, the Sony MEX-M100BT head unit had it's own fused power and a ground for the power pack it uses.
How do you have the Kenwood connected? My 998 is connected to the BT handlebar control module for power and ground.

Attached Thumbnails Power and ground connection for 2 amps-bt-module.jpg  
Old 11-22-2016, 10:16 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

bertk, , in your photo you have no speaker wires hooked up and no plug to head unit, is this just a picture before you where done ? or am I missing something I have never ran mine without but now thinking why do I need it.

Attached Thumbnails Power and ground connection for 2 amps-img_20161119_154924218.jpg  
Old 11-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bertk
How do you have the Kenwood connected? My 998 is connected to the BT handlebar control module for power and ground.
yeah, I did that with the 998.

The Sony had it's own power supply and BT told me not to run it through the controller so we ran it on a separate power and ground

Old 11-22-2016, 10:21 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
bertk, , in your photo you have no speaker wires hooked up and no plug to head unit, is this just a picture before you where done ? or am I missing something I have never ran mine without but now thinking why do I need it.
Kenwood doesn't use the 3.5mm plug, it uses the blue/yellow wire

As for speaker wires, RG/SG/SGS/RGS uses the harness for the rear channels (assuming this is on Bertz SG and not his Ultra )

Quick Reply: Power and ground connection for 2 amps