Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I upgrade or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:36 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Should I upgrade or not?

I'm mostly wanting do hear from you who have upgraded your audio systems to get a feel for whether or not to upgrade mine. The stock system in my 2011 Road Glide Ultra lost the display the second day I owned the bike. I have ESP and the dealer said they will replace it at no charge but I have go leave the bike with them for a week or so. I've been riding it with the blank display for a few months and over 6000 miles. Everything works except the display. I can't use the CB because I have no way of knowing what channel I'm on. No big deal since nobody talks on CB anyway. I could use the intercom and PTT. My wife and I both have helmets with J&M headsets left over from our Goldwing. We don't use the intercom because we don't like wearing those big old helmets and being tethered to the bike. We both prefer our half helmets or no helmets where legal. All that do say I'm not sure the loss of functionality by upgrading to aftermarket would be any great loss. So then, my question is for those of you who have upgraded to aftermarket audio. If you were me and didn't mind spending a few hundred bucks, would you have the stock system repaired or swap it out?

Last edited by blackxpress; 11-16-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:04 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

if i were you, and the dealer is gonna install a new radio for free, id have them install a new unit, then do your swap to a new head unit, amp and speakers
should be able to sell your new stock radio and recover some money to invest in a system upgrade
just my opinion

Old 11-16-2016, 08:30 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
if i were you, and the dealer is gonna install a new radio for free, id have them install a new unit, then do your swap to a new head unit, amp and speakers
should be able to sell your new stock radio and recover some money to invest in a system upgrade
just my opinion
I'm with yoop. Get the thing working like it should via your ESP then get the drawing board out and decide what u want to do with your audio system. U can either sell it or box it up for when u sell your sled ons want to keep ur killer audio system for a different sled.

T.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:38 AM
Jr9811
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I upgraded my 2011 Ultra about a year ago and wonder why I waited so long to do it. Riding the back roads or interstate, I now have clear music and it doesn't have to be cranked to the max to hear. Get the new radio, then upgrade, you'll be glad once you have the new system. Give the guys here your budget they'll help you put a system together.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:09 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
just my opinion
Sounds like a good plan. I hadn't considered that option.