Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's the volume/sound quality of XM on the Rushmore infotainment system??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 07:36 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts
Default How's the volume/sound quality of XM on the Rushmore infotainment system??

For you guys that have it, do you have to really crank the volume to hear it well and how does the sound quality compare to other sources like a USB or music from phone through bluetooth (amazon through my phone is what I listen to 99% of the time)?

I really like the idea of having XM available, but I'm curious how good it sounds on the infotainment system. At $325 or so online I'm not going to try it just for shix and giggles.

On my 13 RG I had XM for a few months on my Kenwood HU and BT setup and the volume/sound quality was somewhere between poor and junk. Really had to turn the volume up significantly compared to other sources and I felt the sound quality was quite a bit lower than it should have been. When I played around with settings I could get the music sounding ok at best, but then talk sounded like crap and if I got talk shows sounding good the music sounded like crap.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:47 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Can't help you re: Rushmore infotainment, but I just think XM is so compressed that its sound quality is just basically poor overall. I just get it May-Oct for the $25 special because I know I'll have another listening option.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:27 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

night and day over the older hd radios....

I added it to my 16 and love it just your normal (under gas station ,deep canyons or thick trees) it goes out but overall very happy with it

bonus... there is live radar in the satellite radio features after 3 big trips this summer I will never travel without that

Old 11-11-2016, 11:36 AM
black01
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It comes in loud and clear on my 15. I tried Bluetoothing it from my phone and was not happy with quality and volume. My only complaint is price of subscription. When I first signed up in 02, you could have up to three radios for less than $10 a month.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:46 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Have the free 3 month trial going right now on mine. Can't really say how well it sounds cause it looses signal every few minutes.

But when it does play, its not as good as USB/phone, but better than BT/phone. Volume is lower too.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:27 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

It isn't as strong as a land based station on my '07 Ultra.
I added a HogTunes amplifier w/speakers.
Now it is much better but still not as loud as a land based station.

Still nice to roll down the highway without having to look for a station.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:08 AM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have XM on my '14 Ultra Limited with the upgraded Boom amp and speakers and the volume tuned to mid range is great even at freeway speeds. Not an issue for me.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:23 AM
AzBlu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
night and day over the older hd radios....

I added it to my 16 and love it just your normal (under gas station ,deep canyons or thick trees) it goes out but overall very happy with it

bonus... there is live radar in the satellite radio features after 3 big trips this summer I will never travel without that
I had the weather maps on my Garmin and loved it. Is the XM module all that is needed or do I need to add an antenna or other device for the weather updates?

Old 11-13-2016, 11:57 AM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The antenna added with the XM module is all that is needed.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:36 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GSHOG
The antenna added with the XM module is all that is needed.
correct.
I'm not sure of the monthly price(yet) as I used the 3 month free this past summer

Quick Reply: How's the volume/sound quality of XM on the Rushmore infotainment system??