Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood KDC-X998 display cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 05:39 AM
flcusat
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Kenwood KDC-X998 display cutting out

I have had this unit installed for a month and a half now without a problem.
I did around 250 miles yesterday and the display of the unit was cutting out during the whole day.
Sometimes it would work fine for a few minutes, sometimes the screen will get completely dark, sometimes would be barely visible, other times will be visible with black lines, like when you have too much contrast, and a vertical line in the middle of the display also.
While this was happening the functionality of the detachable unit wasn't affected at all, and all the buttons were illuminated normally also.
During a pit stop I checked the contacts in both the detachable faceplate and the head unit and I couldn't find anything out of order.
I will clean them up today and see if that helps, but otherwise thinks like I have a defective unit and I was wondering if someone else has experienced this issue with this model.
I remember someone here posting a video a couple of month ago regarding an issue with the detachable faceplate on a unit but I ca't remember now if it was this particular unit and what the issue was.
Another beef I have with this unit is the total lost of the settings when power is disconnected, so if indeed the unit needs to be replaced I might consider to replace it with a different one.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Makdaddy
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I have had Kenwood unit for over 15 years, that is a issue with the face attaching to the main unit
Thats the only complaint I have with them
If its new I would warranty swap it out if you can.
sometimes pushing on the left side of the face may restore the display, In my experience anyway

here is a supposed fix http://www.fixya.com/support/t274951...but_everything
I have not tried this.

Last edited by Makdaddy; 11-06-2016 at 09:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
flcusat (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 09:01 AM
flcusat
Tourer

Thanks

Old 11-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

flcusat:

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the floating installation kit I was using on the 08 SG. What model and bike is the 998 installed on?

Old 11-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

flcusat:

As far as retaining user setting, go to the source (USB, CD etc) where you have made the changes and Select Audio Control – Pro Setup – Audio Preset – Memory.

Select Memory 1 or Memory 2 then Yes. This will save your setting for that source when the 998 power is disconnected. It will not save display settings.

See page 24 in the manual for more details.

flcusat (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 09:59 AM
flcusat
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bertk
flcusat:

As far as retaining user setting, go to the source (USB, CD etc) where you have made the changes and Select Audio Control – Pro Setup – Audio Preset – Memory.

Select Memory 1 or Memory 2 then Yes. This will save your setting for that source when the 998 power is disconnected. It will not save display settings.

See page 24 in the manual for more details.
Thanks, Yes I'm aware of that, but still all the display settings will be missed.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:02 AM
flcusat
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bertk
flcusat:

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the floating installation kit I was using on the 08 SG. What model and bike is the 998 installed on?
It is a Tsukayu fairing.
How did you solve the issue?

Old 11-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by flcusat
It is a Tsukayu fairing.
How did you solve the issue?
The floating kit I was using allowed the face plate to move left and right slightly causing a connection problem. I switched to the Metra 99-9600 Stereo Installation Kit which held the face plate firmly in place. The downside to this kit is that the trim ring will have to be left off to allow a splash cover to fit. Another alternative is to use the Hawg Wired DK470 DIN Radio Install Kit the will allow for the use of the trim ring. You will have to confirm these kits will work in the Tsukayu fairing.

flcusat (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 11:46 AM
flcusat
Tourer

Thanks. I will take a look at this and see if this fix my issue.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:00 PM
flcusat
Tourer

My issue was not related to the install but the unit. I got it replaced by the dealer.

Quick Reply: Kenwood KDC-X998 display cutting out