Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE Audio XXX 6.5 components is anyone running these?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:22 AM
aaronmcb80
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE Audio XXX 6.5 components is anyone running these?

Need some advice on these speakers. Is anyone running these in a batwing fairing? Will they even fit? I know they have an almost 4 in mounting depth. I just need something else than the infinity Kappa 62.11. They just can't handle the amp I have in the fairing right now. It's a Cerwin Vega B4 Bomber and it's already blown out one tweeter with the gain set on less than half on the amp. Any suggestions on 2 ohm 100 RMS speakers out there preferably component systems?

Old 10-28-2016, 10:40 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I don't know anything about those speakers but I do know if your blowing those Kappas it's only because your setting the amp up too aggressive and causing them to distort. I've had those speakers hooked to a BT 4180 and a SS 1000d and beat the hell out of them and they never choked not even once. And both of these amps provide considerably more power than the B54. Whatever speakers you decide to go back with, pay close attention to how you dial it in. Don't rely on a meter to tell you it's right. Your ears will always be your best judge my friend.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronmcb80
Need some advice on these speakers. Is anyone running these in a batwing fairing? Will they even fit? I know they have an almost 4 in mounting depth. I just need something else than the infinity Kappa 62.11. They just can't handle the amp I have in the fairing right now. It's a Cerwin Vega B4 Bomber and it's already blown out one tweeter with the gain set on less than half on the amp. Any suggestions on 2 ohm 100 RMS speakers out there preferably component systems?
Don't know what year and model bike you are referring to but on Rushmore models the Automatic Volume Control (AVC) ramps up voltage very quickly and will blow tweeters.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:48 PM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor
Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I have to agree with these fellas above. The most likely culprit is the amp setting. Your gain on that amp my friend anywhere near half is a tad to high and I would take a good look at your freq setting. if you keep toasting horns a safe bet is that you have some unwanted freqs slamming through there that your specs aren't very happy with. I would also recommend looking at a good 4 ohm speaker instead of 2ohm. I assume you want to stay in the 2 ohm range for the power out put but that isn't everything. As for the speakers you asked about I am sorry I cant really give you any info on them as I have not used them.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:22 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

50% gain on that amp is probably too high depending the head unit. Did you measure with a DMM. Those speakers can take a beating.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:19 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

The beauty associated with a BT 4180 style amp!!! Protects us from ourselves!!!

Threw some very popular speaks in a fairing tonight with a non DSP amp and man, unless u really dialed in the freqs the sound was ok but not damn good. Full pass sucked on a full range speaker!!!! As Bates and gang have mentioned, it's all about the entire tuning process and not just gains (but gain is critical as hell too)!!!!!

Lay out ur specifics and I'm certain these gurus can dissect where things may have gone south.

T.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:28 AM
aaronmcb80
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by haze324
50% gain on that amp is probably too high depending the head unit. Did you measure with a DMM. Those speakers can take a beating.
I'm using the factory HK head unit with preouts installed on the back of the head unit by Iron Cross Audio out of NJ. I just followed the instructions on another thread on this forum to set the gain by ear, did not measure with a DMM.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronmcb80
Like everyone else here I'm not familiar with the RE XXX speakers. They have very good reviews on Sonic but they are also being discontinued. That's always a flag for me. Means they are either coming out with a new version or the manufacturer stopped making them due to lack of sales. Stuff that sells doesn't get discontinued.

Anyway as others have stated those Kappa's will run all day and night with the B54 and not blink. I'd say a couple things are causing your issue.

1. Your gain settings and or crossover settings.
2. The stock head unit.

Probably need to run the crossover on HP set @ 80Hz.
The stock HU is garbage when amplified and distorts at 3/4 volume. Even with the pre-outs. Unless you switch the HU out. Best thing you can do is keep your gain settings low and don't turn the volume up past the halfway point. I'd consider getting a aftermarket HU if it was me.