Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom Handle bar speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 10:12 AM
Mkdxxx
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boom Handle bar speaker question

Hey all, need some help with my audio.
I have 2012 RK that has the boom handle bār speakers on it. Last year the audio quality diminshed significantlly and now they are just buzzing at higher volume. At low volume I MAY hear music but as i raise the volume it goes back to buzzing. Dealer has said speakers are blown.
Do you experts agree?
Are there any speakers out there that i can put in the pods?
The dealer fix is to install a whole new system as thats how its sold for the marked up price of 529.
At that price what options do i have where i could put on a whole other system thats better and louder?

Old 10-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkdxxx
I have 2012 RK that has the boom handle bār speakers on it. Last year the audio quality diminshed significantlly and now they are just buzzing at higher volume. At low volume I MAY hear music but as i raise the volume it goes back to buzzing. Dealer has said speakers are blown.
Do you experts agree?
The dealer fix is to install a whole new system as thats how its sold for the marked up price of 529.
At that price what options do i have where i could put on a whole other system thats better and louder?
A couple questions:

1. Do you have an amp?
2. What size speakers do you have and how many?

Sounds like the speakers are blown from your description but they don't have to be until you perform a few checks. Normally both speakers don't blow at the same time.
A good place to start is checking all connections to the speakers.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Mkdxxx
Stage III

Yeah theres a separate amp. I believe the speakers are 3". Harley doesnt give much info on them.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah theres a separate amp. I believe the speakers are 3". Harley doesnt give much info on them.
They never do. If I remember correctly they are 3.5 speakers. If you have a 2 ohm speaker laying around disconnect one of the speakers and connect it to the good speaker. That will tell you if your speakers are blown. Boom has poor quality everything so I suspect the whole system has gone south.

Honestly I wouldn't waste my time on those speakers. They will never give you what you need going down the road.

Eventually you need to get 6.5 speakers. Don't know how you feel about lowers and speakers lids on a RK but that's the route I would go. If not. Kicker has stuff like this to go on your handle bars but it's expensive.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/K...FQ4BaQodexoJpQ

These with 6.5 speakers and a solid amp would be much better than the boom stuff.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:51 PM
Mkdxxx
Stage III

Thank you for the nfo. Im not against lowers and lids but would like to replace the bar speakers with something that could be expandable in the future.

Who are big names in these systems?

Last edited by Mkdxxx; 10-01-2016 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Mo nfo
Old 10-03-2016, 08:54 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Thank you for the nfo. Im not against lowers and lids but would like to replace the bar speakers with something that could be expandable in the future.

Who are big names in these systems?
https://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com...io-system.html

Old 10-04-2016, 11:44 AM
wildoregon
5th Gear

Do you experts agree?
The Polk DB402 speakers fit the Boom Handlebar Mount perfectly. You'll need to remove the stock speakers, and clean up the silicone adhesive, then remove the mount tabs on the DB402. I'm sure there are other speakers with similar dimensions... I happened to prefer the DB.

The three screw holes for placement of the grill cover and trim ring do not exist on the DB402 or any replacement speaker. Use extreme caution in measuring and drilling the guide holes to use your H-D grill and trim ring. One poorly placed hole will make a mess of it.

Cheers and good luck.