Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:54 AM
GLYDN
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!

I have a 12 street glide, started with pbr300x4 and punch 6.5" speakers in lids and fairing. Plenty of volume sitting still and at higway speeds but starts to distort quick-15minutes like amp is getting too hot. Happens quicker when riding than sitting in shop with bike off. Have the fosgate wiring kit and heatsink also. So I have hertz speakers in my truck and decided to buy a pair of hcx 165 for the fairing(since that's pretty much all I hear when riding. and just ordered a rz42000d to power them and the fosgates in the lids. Im also just using the factory radio due to looks-I like the stock look with stereo equipment. Am I just going down the wrong path? I feel like between reading everything on here im just confusing myself. Any help is appreciated. And as a side note with the problems im having with fosgate amp, I did have local stereo shop check my install and wiring is correct for the amp-we are all boggled that sitting still in garage everything sounds perfect but starts distorting down the road. and once I stop again its still distorted.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:24 AM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor
Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by GLYDN
I have a 12 street glide, started with pbr300x4 and punch 6.5" speakers in lids and fairing. Plenty of volume sitting still and at higway speeds but starts to distort quick-15minutes like amp is getting too hot. Happens quicker when riding than sitting in shop with bike off. Have the fosgate wiring kit and heatsink also. So I have hertz speakers in my truck and decided to buy a pair of hcx 165 for the fairing(since that's pretty much all I hear when riding. and just ordered a rz42000d to power them and the fosgates in the lids. Im also just using the factory radio due to looks-I like the stock look with stereo equipment. Am I just going down the wrong path? I feel like between reading everything on here im just confusing myself. Any help is appreciated. And as a side note with the problems im having with fosgate amp, I did have local stereo shop check my install and wiring is correct for the amp-we are all boggled that sitting still in garage everything sounds perfect but starts distorting down the road. and once I stop again its still distorted.
The PBr is well know for over heating. The difference in voltage to the amp while sitting still (bike off) and running down the road is significant. that is more than likely what's causing the distortion. Also proper amp setting is Extremely important. With the changes you have made thus far you are stepping in the right direction. Just make sure the amp is properly tuned with the bike running and you should notice a substantial difference in your sound.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:30 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by BaddAzzBikes
Just make sure the amp is properly tuned with the bike running and you should notice a substantial difference in your sound.
This is probably the most crucial step when installing a system. Always make your final adjustments with the bike running. As noted above you are headed in the right direction.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:31 AM
GLYDN
Novice

Makes perfect sense, didn't think about that. When you say properly tuned, any suggestions with using that setup?

Old 09-13-2016, 10:35 AM
GLYDN
Novice

Also, Is using a blutooth dongle in the aux port with my iphone a bad idea?

Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 AM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor
Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by GLYDN
Also, Is using a blutooth dongle in the aux port with my iphone a bad idea?
I would suggest using straight aux instead of the adapter. As far as tuning process goes if you do not have any meters. I would suggest digging through a few of the help threads on here. There are several very well written in depth threads on how to tune.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:44 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

The dongle isn't necessarily a bad thing but I will say when using one you really need to be in tune with your system and music source. Also having a good ear for hearing distortion especially while riding is key but it's not something everyone can do. Distortion is the #1 killer of any audio system.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:04 PM
GLYDN
Novice

So my next question. Is should I do anything else at this point that's not going to break the bank? Loc? Anything I'm missing? Heard something about some pioneer pro 6x9 for rear lids. And about polyfill around fronts

Last edited by GLYDN; 09-14-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:28 PM
Zip77
Former Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. Between Bates and Badd they pretty much covered anything that I would have recommended so keep up the good work guys! As for the polyfill for the fronts. It really depends on each person. I know LL always does it because he likes the sound after.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:20 PM
GLYDN
Novice

Last question for you all and I should be good to go, I received the rz42000d, my radio has two speaker outs not four, do I just splice into the wires for hi level input so both left sides of amp are left of radio and both rights the right of radio? Didn't know if that would work or mess up the amp

Quick Reply: Help!!!!