Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering turnkey upgrade options, so many choices !

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:09 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by rv7garage
I definitely appreciate the advice so far, especially the need for patience and research / mapping out the desired end result.

I know what I want and what I don't; specifically I really don't want to deal with lowers or tourpak on a Street Glide. I'm trying to get the best clear, balanced power possible out of a speaker + amp upgrade. If I can gain the ability to EQ/tune the system a bit, then so much the better. Bass would be nice, but I'm not fooling myself about the capabilities of ANY 6.5" speaker... lol.

Would a Diamond 4-ch bridged amp be a good choice? Gimme some specific recommendations!

Thanks
The stock head unit has its limitations on tuning.Using the BT 355 line levelers give you a little more flexibility but not much.

With the speakers you have on your wish list I would highly recommend getting the BIKETRONICS pod eliminator brackets to bring out the FULLNESS of the sound as the speaker pods will restrict the hell out of the sound those speakers are capable of producing.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:19 PM
CVOJOE
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

This is one example of a turnkey solution offered by an HDF vendor. Is this any good? Why or why not? I understand that perception of music is very subjective, and that each bike is a unique platform... I'm just looking for a CLEAN power boost with some EQ-ability. Only looking to upgrade the front fairing, and I will pay for quality and clean power. 2015 SG with the 4.3 HU

Here's the example turnkey solution below, if anyone has comments or suggestions then please help me out!

Hertz MPK 165p.3 (components)
Diamond Micro 2v2 Amplifier
Amp wiring Kit
BT 355 Line Level shifter
Grills w/ Tweets mounted
RV7,

The guys here make good points, if you ever want to put on lowers, lid speakers or pods, the DA Micro 2V2 is not the amp you want.

However, if you do not plan on changing up your Streetglide and adding extra speakers down the line, that's a pretty good setup for a 2 speaker faring setup. That amp puts out 150 watts RMS per channel and will push those speakers pretty well.

Babyboy makes a very good point also

Old 09-09-2016, 03:26 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

I think the fairing is the most I would ever change with a Street Glide. Unless I could somehow cram a credible subwoofer somewhere.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:29 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

OK, hear goes. Out the door price for the Stage II set up (I already had the Stage I) was $1878.00 including discount. Parts only was $1350 and change (list price)
They told me if I was to add another amp and a set of speakers, I would most likely need the 54 amp charging system up grade. Thankfully I won't be doing that.

My first foray into audio upgrades was back in '03. I installed a pair of Hog Tunes speakers - what a difference that was. Then a few years later I installed the amp - again what a difference. Now I've gone from the Boom audio Stage I to Stage II and once again - what a difference.

Like everyone has said-how much do you want to spend and how much increase do you want? Personally I would just install up grade speakers and see if that is enough. Then go with an amp as the last option.

BTW: if you want to start at the beginning, I now have a great set of 4 Stage I speakers for a great price ($200 + shipping - that's half price).

Good luck - stock audio sucks! LOL

Old 09-09-2016, 03:39 PM
rv7garage
Road Master

I'm capping this at $1500 -or hopefully LESS, haha. Obviously, bang for buck is important.... But if the system gives me some serious SPL and clarity improvements, then I'll consider it $$ well spent. Why not? Corbin seat, full suspension upgrade, stage I, new bars, etc... it's only my BLOOD, right??? Haw

Old 09-09-2016, 03:56 PM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
OK, hear goes. Out the door price for the Stage II set up (I already had the Stage I) was $1878.00 including discount. Parts only was $1350 and change (list price)
They told me if I was to add another amp and a set of speakers, I would most likely need the 54 amp charging system up grade. Thankfully I won't be doing that.

My first foray into audio upgrades was back in '03. I installed a pair of Hog Tunes speakers - what a difference that was. Then a few years later I installed the amp - again what a difference. Now I've gone from the Boom audio Stage I to Stage II and once again - what a difference.

Like everyone has said-how much do you want to spend and how much increase do you want? Personally I would just install up grade speakers and see if that is enough. Then go with an amp as the last option.

BTW: if you want to start at the beginning, I now have a great set of 4 Stage I speakers for a great price ($200 + shipping - that's half price).

So u already had boom 1, and yet it cost u another $1875 to go to boom 2? HAHAHAHA. WHAT A RIPOFF.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER

Gary,
Thanks for your honesty bro!!!! Damn glad u like what u have cause at the end of the day that is all that matters.
Very damn glad that u have the Kwan or financial resources to roll your bike into the MOCO and roll out with the system u wanted, ready to roll!!!!!!

The beauty of our HD culture is that we r damn diverse in many regards, including our ears and wallets. In line with that, is that this sled audio world can accommodate such diversity from the killer $500 system to the $2k plus systems.

Thanks for the info Gary. It's good to have such info so we can all make good decisions that support our individual desires, situations, and ears.

Enjoy your system!!!!!

T.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:17 PM
rv7garage
Road Master

Tailwind- name the killer $500 system??!

Old 09-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Tailwind- name the killer $500 system??!
Go up and look at the vids sticky. There is a $500 killer system on display.

T.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:35 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by sponger
So u already had boom 1, and yet it cost u another $1875 to go to boom 2? HAHAHAHA. WHAT A RIPOFF.
It would have cost more if I didn't already have the front amp and wiring. At Sturgis I saw other systems at the same price if not more and I would have had to take out the GPS.
I have something H-D can never refuse any warrantee problems.

Quick Reply: Considering turnkey upgrade options, so many choices !