Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Upgrade - What to Choose

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 01:38 PM
jt99flh
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Upgrade - What to Choose

In surfing the H-D website, it seems there are a litany of choices for one looking to upgrade the audio system on a H-D touring machine.

I own a 2016 Road Glide Ultra. I would like to upgrade the 'stock' system but I only want to do it once. What would be the best choice? I see the Boom Stage 4 system which seems to upgrade all speakers as well as add the amplifier. Is this the best way forward? I also found a Hog Tunes system which upgrades the existing speakers, adds an Amp and also adds lower fairing speakers. Seems good but will this work with my Boom head unit?

It's very confusing. I would appreciate some insight!

Old 09-07-2016, 01:58 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by jt99flh
In surfing the H-D website, it seems there are a litany of choices for one looking to upgrade the audio system on a H-D touring machine.

I own a 2016 Road Glide Ultra. I would like to upgrade the 'stock' system but I only want to do it once. What would be the best choice? I see the Boom Stage 4 system which seems to upgrade all speakers as well as add the amplifier. Is this the best way forward? I also found a Hog Tunes system which upgrades the existing speakers, adds an Amp and also adds lower fairing speakers. Seems good but will this work with my Boom head unit?

It's very confusing. I would appreciate some insight!
stay away from both. the experts here will build u a system that will save you money and kick Boom and hogtunes in the nuts
if you were even concidering Boom, what is your budget?

Old 09-07-2016, 02:08 PM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor
Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

That's the ticket right there. What you need to ask yourself is how much you want to spend and most importantly what you want out of your system. We a ton of options at the shop but alot of what you get recommended will be determined by the 2 questions I just mentioned.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Cheesehead_13
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Also, are you willing to do the install yourself?

Old 09-07-2016, 03:21 PM
jt99flh
Novice

Looking to upgrade so I can clearly hear the music at highway speed without distortion. I do not want to make any changes to the look of the bike at all. I'm open to speakers on the lowers and MAYBE in the saddlebags but not necessarily. I figure I should be able to achieve my goals for under $1000. I also want to be sure not to alter or affect the operation of the stock H-D head unit. I recently installed an aftermarket stereo in my car and it really screwed with the DIM module. I do not want a similar experience here. I assume adding an amp and upgrading the speakers should not affect the operation of the head unit but I am wary.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:24 PM
jt99flh
Novice

Regarding DIY. I am open to it. I have disassembled my Road King multiple times but this will be my first time messing with fairings, radios, etc. I have heard it's a pain the rear when you start messing with the fairing but I expect I can handle it.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:50 PM
Cheesehead_13
Tourer

Originally Posted by jt99flh
Regarding DIY. I am open to it. I have disassembled my Road King multiple times but this will be my first time messing with fairings, radios, etc. I have heard it's a pain the rear when you start messing with the fairing but I expect I can handle it.
These guys are geniuses, and are super helpful. They got me through mine, albeit only fairing speakers and a '12. You've come to the right place. If I can start doing it, you can for sure. I think there are a few threads on here somewhere about building off that stock HU.

Last edited by Cheesehead_13; 09-07-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:00 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheesehead_13
These guys know a ton, and are super helpful. They got me through mine, albeit only fairing speakers and a '12. You've come to the right place. If I can start doing it, you can for sure. I think there are a few threads on here somewhere about building off that stock HU.
i think all the rushmore guys are staying with their infotainment system, adding line levelers, breakout wire harness, amp n speakers and lovin it

Old 09-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Cheesehead_13
Tourer
Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
i think all the rushmore guys are staying with their infotainment system, adding line levelers, breakout wire harness, amp n speakers and lovin it
+1 on this suggestion and give Bad Azz bikes a PM, he will get you you want and need.

The following users liked this post:
BaddAzzBikes (09-07-2016)

Quick Reply: Audio Upgrade - What to Choose